Menu

Apologia vs. Abeka biology

Could someone tell me the difference between Apologia and Abeka biology? I was planning on using Apologia, but our co-op is using Abeka so I’m considering having my son take that class instead. Is one more difficult than the other? Easier to understand?

I don't know about Apologia, but we really loved Abeka biology. All 5 of my kids used it. My oldest went on to major in biology in college and just recently graduated from medical school. I remember when we first got the book. It was so beautiful that she couldn't wait to get started!

I have not used the Apologia Biology -- but used the ABEKA Biology text, tests, and student lab book. We loved it. Son tried Apologia in Junior High and though I liked it, he found it boring to read?

Since using the ABEKA Biology text, I found son loved to read (on his own) it and look at the color detailed illustrations and charts. Not sure if it is the best, but it worked for my visual student. He won't be aiming for pre-med by any means... but does love science! The labs were fun and we purchased the lab kit from Home Science Tools for $200. HTH

Edited by tex-mex

We have used ABeka biology twice. The first time was because ds dumped Apologia in severe dislike. The second time was because by then we had discovered how pleased we were with ABeka.

ABeka is a traditional-style textbook.

Apologia biology, like all high school Apologia texts, includes passages of author monologue. Jabbery style. This "works" for many students, but alienates just as many other students (and teachers), especially those who just "want to get down to business" (of learning the subject matter).

I am having dd try Dive Science this year. If you want to use Apologia with it, you have to use Biology and the higher level Anatomy book, too. To me that says Apolgia Biology is lacking on it's own. He rated thoroughness of the Abeka book one level above the Apologia book and one level behind the Bob Jones book.

It's been a long time since I compared the two, but as I recall:

ABeka starts with the large picture (human) and goes to the small (cell).

Apologia starts with the small picture (cell) and spends more time there, not really going all the way to the human unless you do their Anatomy course too.

Hopefully if my memory is failing me, someone will correct me :)

Julie

It's been a long time since I compared the two, but as I recall:

ABeka starts with the large picture (human) and goes to the small (cell).

Apologia starts with the small picture (cell) and spends more time there, not really going all the way to the human unless you do their Anatomy course too.

Hopefully if my memory is failing me, someone will correct me :)

Julie

We used the older ABEKA textook version.

It started with Plants and introduced reproduction via fertilization. Eventually to humans -- then went into depth on embryos, sexual reproduction (not graphic but from a Christian POV) and abortion. Discusses drugs, alcohol, germs, viruses and STDs (lightly -- not graphic). Then goes into body systems. Creationism versus Evolution. After that was Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, Fish, Invertibrates, etc. Ended with cells and DNA. LOTS of lab experiments!!!

Edited by tex-mex

We looked into both books. We chose Abeka for two reasons. I did not like the fact that Apologia did not go into the human aspect of Biology. Abeka does. The second reason is that Abeka does the labs online. You do not have to do the labs yourself unless you want to. I did not want to. My ds is not scientific minded so this was a great way to get the full academic credit without messing up a dissection! Biology was never my strong suit, so I also like that ABeka Accredited offered the video. We'll see soon if I made the right decision, but that's my two cents worth!:)

We used the older ABEKA textook version.

It started with Plants and introduced reproduction via fertilization. Eventually to humans -- then went into depth on embryos, sexual reproduction (not graphic but from a Christian POV) and abortion. Discusses drugs, alcohol, germs, viruses and STDs (lightly -- not graphic). Then goes into body systems. Creationism versus Evolution. After that was Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, Fish, Invertibrates, etc. Ended with cells and DNA. LOTS of lab experiments!!!

Sorry to jump in here, but did you use dvds with this or just the straight text?

Thanks!

Lisa

Sorry to jump in here, but did you use dvds with this or just the straight text?

Thanks!

Lisa

I found a used ABEKA Biology set (student textbook, student lab book, teacher's manual, teacher's lab manual, and blank test masters) at a homeschool Used Book Fair -- for $20. ;)

It is the Second Edition (1997) for ABEKA Biology (631+ pages).

Table of Contents:

UNIT ONE - Botany: Structure and Functions of Plants

UNIT TWO - Human Anatomy & Physiology: Purpose and Design

UNIT THREE - Life Sciences: Philosophy (Creationism vs Evolution)

UNIT FOUR - Zoology: Variety & Design in the Animal World

UNIT FIVE - Cellular & Molecular Biology: (Cells, Genetics, & DNA)

I had no idea they sold DVDs for it. LOL

I would assign the chapter readings early in the week. Did a one lesson review/lecture by mid-week with son. And another day would be lab day in the kitchen area! We did lots of extra documentaries and projects.

But I did purchase the ABEKA Biology Kit at Homeschool Science Tools for $200 and it was wonderful! Many of the lab kit supplies will transition to Chemistry (i.e. alcohol burner & stand, beakers, test tubes, etc.) and save me $$$ in the long run. We already own a vintage microscope from my Elementary teaching days. HTH

ETA: I used this website for additional Powerpoint presentations and worksheets for labs in Biology. She has lots of great lessons, ideas, and labs for both regular Biology and AP Biology!!

Edited by tex-mex

I found a used ABEKA Biology set (student textbook, student lab book, teacher's manual, teacher's lab manual, and blank test masters) at a homeschool Used Book Fair -- for $20. ;)

It is the Second Edition (1997) for ABEKA Biology (631+ pages).

Table of Contents:

UNIT ONE - Botany: Structure and Functions of Plants

UNIT TWO - Human Anatomy & Physiology: Purpose and Design

UNIT THREE - Life Sciences: Philosophy (Creationism vs Evolution)

UNIT FOUR - Zoology: Variety & Design in the Animal World

UNIT FIVE - Cellular & Molecular Biology: (Cells, Genetics, & DNA)

I had no idea they sold DVDs for it. LOL

I would assign the chapter readings early in the week. Did a one lesson review/lecture by mid-week with son. And another day would be lab day in the kitchen area! We did lots of extra documentaries and projects.

But I did purchase the ABEKA Biology Kit at Homeschool Science Tools for $200 and it was wonderful! Many of the lab kit supplies will transition to Chemistry (i.e. alcohol burner & stand, beakers, test tubes, etc.) and save me $$$ in the long run. We already own a vintage microscope from my Elementary teaching days. HTH

ETA: I used this website for additional Powerpoint presentations and worksheets for labs in Biology. She has lots of great lessons, ideas, and labs for both regular Biology and AP Biology!!

Thanks for sharing how you used this. I didn't know if there were dvds or not. I'm absolutely clueless and just beginning to investigate high school science because it is beginning to dawn on me that it is just around the corner for us. :001_smile: I was just wondering how you handled teaching it since I hadn't heard anyone talk about this program before and it sounds appealing to me.

Lisa

I used this website for additional Powerpoint presentations and worksheets for labs in Biology. She has lots of great lessons, ideas, and labs for both regular Biology and AP Biology!!

What a great site! Looks like there is a lot of good info on there. I love the animations.