Menu

Wanted:Themed boys bedroom decorating ideas

I'm contemplating painting, redecorating the boys' bedroom before school starts. Currently it is white walls and navy blue carpet. It is 12' x 12'.

I need ideas for making their room more interesting.

Has anyone done a Legos room? Pics would be especially helpful.

TIA,

We are working on the boys' and they had a hard time narrowing it down so we went with travel and we love the results so far!!

We got a vintage looking airplane at a discount store and I bought some vintage travel posters and a big world map at art.com. We found some suitcase/chest things at Big Lots and Marshalls. We painted the top half of the room blue and the bottom a khaki-ish color with a stained chair rail around the middle. Kind of like sky and earth, but really it's non theme-y so it just looks like a nice room without all of the decor in.

DS has a world atlas and his globe on his dresser and we also bought 3 basic clocks and will put markers for 3 different time zones with the little clocks above.

I'm really happy with it since I feel like it's fun and they won't outgrow it soon.

Edited by Stacie Leigh

I've been thinking of doing our boys' room with a vintage baseball theme. More muted colors, maybe some framed prints on the wall. Something that looks more grown up rather than little kiddish, iykwim. At our local Red Robin restaurant there is a cool wall hanging. It is painted or dyed baseballs in a frame to look like an American flag. Here is a picture. It's $600! Yikes! I'll rethink that idea.

We are working on the boys' and they had a hard time narrowing down so we went with travel and we love the results so far!!

We got a vintage looking airplane at a discount store and I bought some vintage travel posters and a big world map at art.com. We found some suitcase/chest things at Big Lots and Marshalls. We painted the top half of the room blue and the bottom a khaki ish color with a stained chair rail around the middle. Kind of like sky and earth, but really it's non theme-y so it just looks like a nice room without all of the decor in.

DS has a world atlas an his globe on his dresser and we also bought 3 basic clocks and will put markers for 3 different time zones with the little clocks above.

I'm really happy with it since I feel like it's fun and they won't outgrow it soon.

That sounds very cute!

I'm contemplating painting, redecorating the boys' bedroom before school starts. Currently it is white walls and navy blue carpet. It is 12' x 12'.

I need ideas for making their room more interesting.

Has anyone done a Legos room? Pics would be especially helpful.

TIA,

We did Lego theme for ds11's room. It turned out soooo cool. Here is a picture of what we used as a pattern. Bottom left pic.

Lego theme is a great idea! I especially loved the subtle gray.

We have 2 boys. One is a fisherman, so his room is in classic fishing lodge theme. I also bought a big fish species poster for his wall. We have dark green bedding. His fishing poles hang on a bass rod holder (from Bass Pro) behind his door.

My oldest has a space room with a wallpaper mural similar to this one:

http://www.worldmapsonline.com/earth-rise-mural.htm

The other walls are a light grey.

Well, I mean this kindly, but I think at 12 my son would soon be tired of a Lego theme. I'd go with something that would be able to grow with them. I've seen interesting things done with using maps as wall-coverings, vintage world globes, etc. That would also tie in with the travel theme mentioned. By the time my son was a teen, he was ready for a more neutral room to relax in(tho I see you also have a young one, too)

My son was 10 when we painted his room Lego....I figured since it was just paint that as soon as he tires of it it will be easy enough to 'undo'....so far no signs of that though since he is a Lego nut.

Well, I mean this kindly, but I think at 12 my son would soon be tired of a Lego theme. I'd go with something that would be able to grow with them. I've seen interesting things done with using maps as wall-coverings, vintage world globes, etc. That would also tie in with the travel theme mentioned. By the time my son was a teen, he was ready for a more neutral room to relax in(tho I see you also have a young one, too)

Yes, you may be right... it's my younger ds who is the Lego-boy. I saw that there are lego-mosaics to hang on the wall and thought that would be a cool idea.

I knew I asked at the right place...Thank you all for the great ideas!

Edited by bnbacademy