Menu

How do you school 2 dc's at same time w/out distraction?

For instance,

This year I would always try to have my K'er do some simple workbook while my 4yo was doing her Rod and Staff preschool or DEL. Even if I whispered to her, and she was quiet he would always stop everything he was doing to look over the table at her work. It became virtually impossible to have them do anything at the same time.

THis year however both of them have more substantial work, and I think I'll be schooling all day if I school them separately for everything they're doing. We only do the 3R's formally, and combine for everything else, including Bible. So we're only talking about 3 subjects for my ds and a few Rod and Staff pages for my dd.

How do you guys begin to train younger dc not to look at everyone else's work all the time?

I put up folders (like teachers did with cheaters in Catholic school) but he would just get up and walk to her side of the table.

I don't think it's possible for them to never be distracted! First, it is a good opportunity to teach them self discipline in keeping themselves focussed and also not to distract others. That is a valuable skill to learn. To deal with this issue in my house, I no longer have them work at the same time at the table. While one is doing seatwork, the other is somewhere else in the house, either doing chores, practicing an instrument, working on the computer (in another room), or playing. We only do grammar, handwriting, copywork and etc at the table. Math is done on the family room floor. I also teach my children that if mom is working with one child, she is not to be interrupted (especially during reading and narrations.) They need to wait if they need help with something they are working on independently. Also, your kids are still quite young, so this is an expected problem that they will gradually grow out of, especially when well trained.

I think this is the kind of thing that gets easier with time.

The first year that my younger daughter joined us in homeschooling, I had constant issues with them looking across the table at each other's work. I think I ended up putting their desks on opposite sides of the room and using a chair with wheels on it to roll back and forth between them. :lol:

It's very rarely an issue anymore. While the toddler can distract everyone, for the most part, my kids no longer care what the other ones are doing. :D My older ones will just take their work into another room if the little guys are distracting them too much.

Seriously, if my boys are at the same table, little gets done. So I put one at the kitchen table, one next door in the dining room or living room, and go back and forth. Sound like a lot of effort, but ultimately easier on me and more productive.

I found little wooden tv tables that fold up when not in use and whenever one of mine find it impossible to work with distraction (a lot of those with a 2yo), they can take a table and a chair into their room with the door closed and the understanding that I will only check inbetween working with the others that are out in the dining room with me. They come out if they have questions. For my oldest, If he is being nosy, I offer to let him teach and do his stuff later. That always helps him focus on his work :)

Good answers, all. I'm always looking for more ideas, as distractions are never very far away at our house, usually in the form of the two smaller kids who are not in school. I actually think it will be easier when everyone's in school (no potty messes, spills, etc.)!

We've done different things...The one thing I HAVE to do is to find ways to keep the younger ones busy so they're not interrupting. They are as much a part of the "school schedule" as anyone else.

For the school kids, we stick to a pretty predictable routine. They sit at separate workstations, so they don't distract each other all that much. My teaching table is separated from the "classroom area" by a folding screen, but the kids doing seatwork can still hear my voice. They've just learned to work past that.

I think schooling 2 children is a necessary evil. They do distract each other but I figure that's part of having more than one child. I sit at the head of the table and try to keep them focused. I would love a divider to put in the middle of the table. That way I could still see them both but they couldn't see each other.

How about lap desks for less intensive work? Perhaps not ideal for penmanship but for other work? The kids enjoy ours even though they currently have desks.

As far as a divider there is always those big cardboard things for science fairs.

We try to use separate desks but have also shared a table. It can work but takes time to form the habit. Maybe some of the CM habit forming reading would help?