Menu

Writing confusion

I have been going back and forth on which writing curriculum to use for this coming year. I have two boys one in Grade 5 (first time homeschooling) and one in Grade 8 (second and last year homeschooling).

Last year I used MCT, LL7 and Figuratively Speaking. I plan on continuing the Grammar part of MCT along with GWG. We enjoyed CE but I did find the format a little loose for our tastes. (Not enough written exercises to solidify the learning of the concepts.) That being said, I can say that we do enjoy workbooks with some together learning time mixed in.

For this year, I have been looking at SWB, WWW and IEW. I am not sure which to go with for the following reasons.

IEW - SWI A or B

I think the boys would enjoy and benefit from the videos by learning from someone else and the incorporation of the humour into the teaching. In looking at the sample, I am concerned that there does not seem to be much variety in the writing. It seems that they are writing outlines and then paragraphs with banned words and requirements over and over again. The lack of variety may cause writing to become a painful subject.

WWS

I do believe that the boys would benefit from learning to summarize and outline. Once again I am concerned with respect to the variety of the exercises. This would also be okay for my Gr 5 but may not be enough of a challenge for my Gr 8.

I really like the information provided in these books with respect to the different types of writing. For example how to write different types of essays such as persuasive, biographical, narratives etc. I didn't see this type of instruction in the other two programs. I was quite excited about this program until I heard some on the boards say there is not enough writing in it.

Ugh....I am looking for any advice you may have. For those who have already received and maybe even tried WWW I would like to hear your views on the writing requirements. Would it be possible to combine programs? I am a little hesitant to do this as I am already planning on using GWG (for the first time), MCT CE and grammar book, LL8 (for gr 8) and some type of literature guides (for gr 5).

Thank you. I really rely on this forum and the combined expertise.

WWS

I do believe that the boys would benefit from learning to summarize and outline. Once again I am concerned with respect to the variety of the exercises. This would also be okay for my Gr 5 but may not be enough of a challenge for my Gr 8.

Mostly just giving your post a bump.

I have samples of WWS, but haven't looked very closely at them yet. I am thinking, though, that there is quite a variety of exercises in it. "Biographical sketches" was one thing that caught my eye.

Also, with regard to variety in writing outlines and then paragraphs - you can vary the topics being written about, so the writing practice doesn't become boring. You can let your kids choose topics from their science, history, and literature reading.

Edited by Colleen in NS

I don't know about 'expertise' but I will give you my opinion on IEW.

I have used a variety of writing programs to include but not limited to Writing Strands, 6 Trait Writing, Classical Writing, WWE, and the method prescribed by SWB in the Plan for Writing lectures. I am now using IEW and I can say that this is the first time I felt completley confident in my ability to help my dc with writing and in the knowledge that my dc have finally found a program that they enjoy and that will carry them through 12th grade with clear, concise and thorough instruction.

My dc haven't been using the program for very long but already we have used models from the SWI program, literature, non-fiction, a science text-book, an internet site, a newspaper, a magazine, fables and storybooks. The variety of writing that you use for practice is really up to you.

As far as the banned words and the requirements are concerned, my dc don't seem to mind them. In fact I think they appreciate having a list to check to help them write in a more interesting way. The frustration of having to come up with your own ideas for changing the wording can be debilitating for a struggling writer. I think using these requirements over and over will also make it second nature for my dd. They will eventually not even have to think about how to compose an elegant sentence...it will just flow. As with most things homeschool-ish, you can use your own judgement in using these 'dress-ups'. We came to a model a while back and my dd was supposed to add a 'who' clause. The model she chose just wasn't conducive to adding one in. The lesson was still a success because we were able to talk about and experiment with how not to use such a clause, which imo is just as important as learning how to use one.

I have watched about half of TWSS and my two oldest are working on SWI-B. I'm also adapting lessons for my 8yo based on the SWI-B lessons and what I've learned from the TWSS. My assessment is based on my limited experience so keep that in mind.:D

If you want a writing curriculum that produces on-demand writers, who do not rely on outlines as prompts, take a look a Classical Composition. Add a grammar curriculum that teaches parsing and diagramming like AG, and you are good until rhetoric.