Menu

"Some ideas are just bad ideas"; 8 yo's Unjournaling writing sample

Halcyon

My son did an exercise from Unjournaling today and had a ton of fun. The exercise was as follows:

"Some ideas are just bad ideas. Using a hair dryer in the bathtub is a bad idea. Buying a pet mouse when you already have a pet boa constrictor is a bad idea. Washing your red shirt with your white underwear is a bad idea. Using your hand to unclog a running garbage disposal is a bad idea. Liste 10 more extremely bad ideas."

Here's what he came up with (grammar and spelling as written):

1. Bothering Mom when she hasn't had her coffee.

2. Throwing a baseball in a hornet's nest.

3. Jumping into a pool of aligators.

4. Sticking a metal fork in an outlet.

5. Throwing a rock at your neighbours window.

6. Smashing your head into the wall.

7. Sitting on top of a python.

8. Sticking your hand into a wolf's mouth.

9. Throwing rocks in the house.

10. Sticking your hand into a snake's burrow.

Notice how many things involve wild animals and things you can DO with wild animals..MG_244.gifThought others might enjoy seeing what Unjournaling is like. He thought this was a very fun exercise, particularly as a break from narration :lol: We'll be using this throughout the year when we both need to shake things up a bit.

Edited by Halcyon

I just read the reviews of Unjournaling.

Last time when I read your post of Sentence composing, I went ahead and bought it. Used it a while and now put is aside.

This time around when I see this book, I am itching to buy it again. Anyway, I will put it in my record and maybe buy it in the future.

I really enjoyed reading what your 8 year old came up with. He is so much fun!

By the way, how is Henle Latin going for your guy? I remember you started it recently.

I just read the reviews of Unjournaling.

Last time when I read your post of Sentence composing, I went ahead and bought it. Used it a while and now put is aside.

This time around when I see this book, I am itching to buy it again. Anyway, I will put it in my record and maybe buy it in the future.

I really enjoyed reading what your 8 year old came up with. He is so much fun!

By the way, how is Henle Latin going for your guy? I remember you started it recently.

Ha! Well, fwiw, we're still using Killgallon ourselves. We use WWE as our core writing, and throw in other things (Killgallon, Unjournaling and next year-albeit rather formally-Write Source 4). I am sorry I am such an enabler LOL. Luckily, Unjournaling wouldn't really count as a full-blown curriculum so you can justify it by calling it a "fun add-on" ;)

Henle is going really, really well. Thanks for asking. We have been at it about two weeks now and so far so good. I am going to post an update once we hit harder stuff. That's when I'll really be able to evaluate whether it's a fit this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Your son did a great job. My cynical child has yet to meet an Unjournaling assignment he didn't like. Wildiris introduced me to it a couple of years ago, and it has always been a favorite resource.

If you get clever, you can often tie an Unjournaling assignment to the end of a serious lesson on the same type of concept.

I think what's most important here is that he a) understands #1 on the list and b) put it at the top of the list. I wonder how close #1 and #2 are in relative bad ideas.:001_smile:

I saw this book before, was interested, and then for some reason decided against it. Maybe it was the reviews? I don't know. I can't recall. Anyway, I love this list. I'm rethinking using this.

I think what's most important here is that he a) understands #1 on the list and b) put it at the top of the list. I wonder how close #1 and #2 are in relative bad ideas.:001_smile:

I saw this book before, was interested, and then for some reason decided against it. Maybe it was the reviews? I don't know. I can't recall. Anyway, I love this list. I'm rethinking using this.

I will have to look at the reviews again, but we love the book. My son did an assignment where the student had to give the impression that Chris was one of the ugliest guys in the world, without using words like "ugly" or "hideous." It was one of his better pieces of writing in sort of horribly funny way.

I think he did fabulously. And now I've just added that book to my amazon shopping cart. Then of course I get caught up in the "what other books did people like" and saw The Giggly Guide to Grammar, and Banish Boring Words!

This is why most of our money goes to amazon :tongue_smilie:

If you get clever, you can often tie an Unjournaling assignment to the end of a serious lesson on the same type of concept.

:iagree: Or include fun conditions/ restrictions! We love Unjournaling and have been using it for the last 2 years. This year, I'm adding a fun condition. My son will choose his prompt but the condition is that he has to involve Calvin and Hobbes as characters in the writing assignment. It's a win-win for him! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I think he did fabulously. And now I've just added that book to my amazon shopping cart. Then of course I get caught up in the "what other books did people like" and saw The Giggly Guide to Grammar, and Banish Boring Words!

This is why most of our money goes to amazon :tongue_smilie:

Sorry to hijack a bit, but that Gilly Guide to Grammar looks great! Thanks!

OP, thanks for the unjounaling rec. I've added it to my wish list!