Menu

Kids with Blogs

Is there a safe way for a kid to have a blog? How does one go about setting something like that up?

I am blogless by choice--I just never have that much to say. However, my dd, who is 12, loves to write and chat and I think that she would be a great blogger. She is taking a computer class this fall and is learning HTML. She has played around just a bit with making a simple web site. Other than that, I know nothing. Do you have any ideas for me?

I think you can set up the blog (thinking of Blogger here) as either private, or only with people you share the link with, or public. Definitely look into those different options. Blogger is a nice platform to learn on - you can use html in various places, if you know how to do it. I think I would recommend Blogger as a starting place for a 12yo rather than Wordpress. I'm finding a lot of quirks with Wordpress.

My 8 yo and 10yo have blogger blogs. Not very many posts, lol. The thrill died young. But they did learn to do some cool things, like post pics, and change their backgrounds using html (cutest blog on the block has great backgrounds and they enjoyed changing their backgrounds daily for awhile). I could probably make the blogs into more of a school project, and maybe I will (you know, post pics and a summary of the Civil War, LOL!) We have chosen to just share the blogs with a small number of people (family, friends).

According to the terms of service you have to be 13 or older to have either a Blogger account or Live Journal. I have an acquaintance who allowed her daughter to get a blog and frankly it scares me. The parents say the monitor everything that goes out but by reading just the blog you can find out the daughter's name, age, and where she lives. You can also do that with all of her siblings just through the one blog. It's just not safe IMO.

All that said, my daughter does have a blog at http://www.allykatzz.com . She loves it, and it's very secure. All entries and messages are monitored by paid college students and the monitoring staff approves posts before they go up. You can't use your real name, post pictures with faces in them, or location beyond what state you live in. Phone numbers can not be exchanged and you can't give someone another way to communicate outside of the site.

I know it's not perfect, but it's head and shoulders above a plain old blog IMNSHO.

this is a safe site for kids to have blogs on. http://kidblog.org/home.php

I have thought about getting our homeschool group on here for kids to blog but mine are not quite old enough, so I haven't done anything with it yet. I have a friend who is a public school teacher and she uses it for her students and it works great.