Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LAmom

Pregnancy, losing weight, larger women

If you are overweight...have you every successfully lost weight while pregnant? I generally do not gain weight, at least not in the beginning due to sickness and have read larger women generally don't gain a bunch like "others." :001_smile:

I do gain at least 10 lbs total and seem to gain another 10 after!!! I gain weight after!! While all my friends with normal bodies say how great breastfeeding is (which I do) because they lose all the weight they gained. Ugh.

Anyways, wondering if anyone has tried and successfully lost weight while pregnant. I don't need lectures about how it is bad for the baby. I mean eating very healthy, no junk, no white sugar, no white flour, moderate portions....could I still lost weight like I would if I were not pregnant? (hypothetically speaking..) The best thing is that I do not crave chocolate until the very end. I am a chocoholic!! So I have hope?

Input would be helpful. I will talk to my doctor, too.

According to my doctor, if you are morbidly obese and well nourished, losing weight is acceptable while pregnant, but the healthiest outcomes are in women who lose less than 9 pounds (before having the baby and those assorted losses). There have not been any studies proving safety in less overweight women.

I was on a pro-weight-loss eating plan and gained 70 lbs while pregnant last time. So it doesn't always work.

One of the big deals while pregnant is getting lots of protein. I am overweight primarily due to inactivity because of a chronic knee problem. However, when I'm pregnant my knee feels better and I can be more active than normal and I feel like I actually have a metabolism. I follow the diet that I learned in my Bradley childbirth classes and get the proper amount of calories for a pregnant person and the higher amount of protein needed. I avoid sugar and as much of the processed and refined "junk" as possible. Because of this, I lose weight during the first trimester, hold my own through the middle, and then maybe gain 10 pounds during the last couple of months. However, like you, I gain weight after the baby is born in spite of breastfeeding my babies for about 3 years each. My knee pain also comes back with a vengeance and my activity level suffers again. It's important to give your body the nutrients and fuel it needs to grow a baby, but eating good food and exercising appropriately probably will cause you to lose some or at least not gain very much because you have extra to spare. Then, when you're breastfeeding, it's important to not try to diet, but to eat sensibly, or your milk supply may suffer. It actually takes a few more calories to nurse a newborn than it does during pregnancy.

When I was pregnant with my first child, I lost a lot of weight because I did switch to a super-healthy diet (for me), and naturally lost weight because of it. I didn't try to lose weight, but it happened. I gained about ten pounds back naturally towards the end (and then a ton right at the end from water weight due to toxemia that was gone within about two weeks). I also lost more after, due to breastfeeding, being more careful, and depression (first time in my life depression actually caused me to not eat so much lol).

As long as your goal is to stay healthy and not trying to lose weight, follow your midwife/OB's advice, some weight loss isn't bad during pregnancy for women who are carrying extra. Excessive weight loss is not okay.

I actually ended my last pregnancy six pounds LESS than when I got pregnant! And delivered a 9.5 lb baby! I was overweight to begin with, so when I realized I was pregnant and immediately switched to the Bradley diet the weight started coming off. I always have intense morning (all-day) sickness, to the point where I get sick a dozen times a day for months, so that probably had something to do with it.

I had started south beach just before I got pg with my twins a couple years ago - after I found out I was pregnant (not planned) I pretty much continued eating south beach-ish because I typically have gestational diabetes and south beach works great for that. I didn't limit my portions for the most part and I focused on getting as much protein as I could since it was a twin pregnancy. I didn't really gain weight with the pregnancy until I was 24 weeks or so and at the end (35 weeks) I had gained a total of 12 pounds, so post babies I did net a significant weight loss.

That being said, I gained all of it back after the babies were born lol. I'm working on taking it back off now. :)

If you are overweight...have you every successfully lost weight while pregnant? I generally do not gain weight, at least not in the beginning due to sickness and have read larger women generally don't gain a bunch like "others." :001_smile:

I do gain at least 10 lbs total and seem to gain another 10 after!!! I gain weight after!! While all my friends with normal bodies say how great breastfeeding is (which I do) because they lose all the weight they gained. Ugh.

Anyways, wondering if anyone has tried and successfully lost weight while pregnant. I don't need lectures about how it is bad for the baby. I mean eating very healthy, no junk, no white sugar, no white flour, moderate portions....could I still lost weight like I would if I were not pregnant? (hypothetically speaking..) The best thing is that I do not crave chocolate until the very end. I am a chocoholic!! So I have hope?

Input would be helpful. I will talk to my doctor, too.

I was overweight for my last pregnancy (well others too, but....:001_smile:) I would have LOVED to lose weight and kind of, sort of tried. I wasn't successful. However, I did NOT gain as much weight as I typically do and was more successful afterwards in losing the weight. So that was something. I have heard of women losing weight during pregnancy. It is possible.

I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes when I was pregnant.... I was in the Army at the time, so I wasn't as large as I am now, but the minute I got out, I gained weight.

My midwife sent me to a nutritionist and I was given a meal plan and had to prick my finger 4 times a day. Basically, I could NOT eat sugar, NADA, AT ALL, EVER. Only 3 servings of fruit a day (and I had to count out 17 grapes, cause it's 1 serving) She broke everything down into servings per meal/snack. If I stuck to the servings, then I consumed the 2200 calories they said I needed, no counting calories required.

So for breakfast, it was 1 serving carbs, 1 serving protein, 1 serving fat.

Then a snack, 2-3 hours later: 1 serving fruit, 1 serving protein

Then lunch, 2-3 hours later: Can't remember... But I usually had 1/2 Pb&J, 1 piece of fruit and a low-fat yogurt

Snack, 2-3 hours later: Can't remember...

Dinner, 2-3 hours later: Can't remember, but it was the biggest meal of the day and easy to accommodate while eating out.

Snack, 2-3 hours later: 1 serving carbs, 2 servings protein ( I ALWAYS had 4 triscuits, with cheese on top, and 1 cup of milk)

I just carried a copy of the plan in my purse and put one on my fridge, after the first few weeks, I had it memorized and it was easy-peasy! I LOST SOOOOOO MUCH WEIGHT, that I only gained 17 pounds for the pregnancy. I felt awesome!

I lived in Hawaii at the time and we had a really nice pool on base, so I just went swimming everyday for my exercise. I seriously think the swimming is what helped me have such an easy labor, w/o the need for meds.

Good luck!

Yes. During the last month of my pregnancy w/my dd, I focused on getting more protein and less grains. I've always eaten whole grains, not white starches, but I was still too heavy on the grains. I was hungry in the night for about a week. I lost 10 lbs. DD was fine.

I should add, I was restricted from walking a lot due to cramping. So, exercise was out for that pregnancy.

Denise