Menu

Has anyone used this for their homeschool? I have this book, and have "read" it, :D and see it as an excellent resource. But, how to utilize it in our school is beyond me.

I have an old primer that moves faster than what I perceive OPGTR to do, but it seems to cover the same concepts and has a similar format.

We don't have the money to spend on any more phonics stuff right now. I have a TON of phonics stuff, though most of it is older material. In some ways, that's good, and in some, not so much. (My grandma taught ps 1st grade for over 40 years and she has INUNDATED me with materials. Amongst them, The ABCs book, this primer, and Modern Curriculum Press's phonics blackline masters.)

I need and want to use what I have. Has anyone used this? What would you do?

Totally intimidated now by Karen's amazing and beautiful spelling worksheets! (lol!) But, for what it's worth, here's how we use "The ABCs and All Their Tricks" to make our own spelling.

Side note: our boys are older (gr. 8 & gr. 9), and I think it is definitely easier to make your own spelling with older kids -- it's more of a spelling to review vowel patterns, with vocabulary mixed in. I've been doing it for the older one for 3 years. The younger son is mildly dyslexic and is a visual-spatial learner who struggles with spelling, so once we finished up a remedial spelling program 2 years ago, I've been making his spelling, too.

I just move through the book, mostly in order. I pick a vowel pattern -- for example, long a sound that is spelled with "ei", as in the word "weigh". Then I make out a spelling list of about 20 words:

- words to practice this pattern

- homophones (sound alike, but spelled differently, such as "weigh" and "whey" and "way")

- root words using the pattern, with prefixes/endings to practice spelling by syllables and any potential spelling changes (ex: "neigh", "neighbor", "unneighborly", "neighborhood")

- words using this pattern that also would practice vocabulary (ex: "inveigle" and "heinous")

Sometimes instead of just one spelling pattern, we'll practice two in one list, such as "au" and "aw" words, and then look for/discuss patterns of when they are used ("au" always in the middle of the syllable or the word; "aw" almost always at the end of the syllable or the word").

To make the week's list of spelling words, I use the word lists in "The ABCs and All Their Tricks", plus words from the lists in "Natural Speller".

To practice the words, we do a variety of things. Older son does well with seeing/writing the words, so in the past I would make up a few worksheets for him (write the words in ABC order; list the words in the correct column, with column headings based on vowel patterns, or how many syllables in the word; etc.); give him a clue (like a crossword clue) and have him fill in the blanks (one per letter in the word) with the correct spelling word; start with a root word or base syllable and adding prefixes, endings, additional syllables, etc., to see how to "build up" words; etc.

Younger son struggles with spelling, so we practice in a variety of ways:

- Out Loud

(based on ideas from Andrew Pudewa's lecture, "Spelling and the Brain", Phonetic Zoo program, and Carol Barnier's "Toss It" idea from "How to Get Your Kid Off the Refrigerator and onto Learning")

I say and spell aloud the word to him and toss him a beanie toy; he says and spells aloud the word back to me and tosses the beanie. The tossing keeps his mind focused and prepared for his turn; the aloud helps him hear the letters in correct sequential order.

- Practice on Whiteboard

(based from ideas in Sequential Spelling and the Stevenson Blue Spelling Manual)

Visually, with varioius colored markers, we discuss/practice vowel patterns, homophones, adding prefixes and endings, etc., to see/learn vowel patterns and rules for changing words when endings are added.

- Dictation

(based on ideas from Stevenson Blue Spelling, WTM, and Ruth Beecher's books)

Dictate 5 short sentences, each with 2-3 spelling words in them, to practice simultaneously thinking/writing/spelling.

- Writing

(some based on ideas from Megawords)

Worksheets, practicing adding prefixes/endings; breaking words into syllables; etc.

Hope something there is of help! Warmest regards, Lori D

PS -- While I haven't seen it myself, I believe this is somewhat similar to the method used by All About Spelling, and possibly Simply Spelling as well. It takes me about 20 minutes per child per week to prepare spelling lists, so if you can go with an already created list, that would save some time! However, if you want to tailor spelling to your child's needs, then "The ABCs..." is a terrific resource! Warmly, Lori

Thank you both!

I hadn't even really thought about it for spelling. My oldest is an excellent speller (9yo spells on 9th grade level), and my younger two are too young for spelling just yet.

We do have an older edition of Spelling Power that I plan on breaking out next year. (Our year flips in Feb and my oldest just started 4th grade. We're studying vocab this year instead of spelling; he needs the comprehension practice and obviously NOT the spelling right now. LOL)

We're still on actual phonics learning with my youngers (almost 4, and just turned 5), and that's the capacity for which I was trying to think of uses for this book.

Anyway. You've both been helpful! Thanks!

I use Writing road to Reading (WRTR) for spelling and The ABCs book is just a reference book for me. I like to look up words that don't follow the rules of WRTR. I have to re-read the articles in the front and backnow that I have been teaching WRTR for over a year,

I think it is a great resource.