Menu

What laxatives are safe during pregnancy?

And what is safe to use on hemorrhoids?

Dd texted me today in a panic because she thinks she has one. She has been having trouble with her bowels even though she is eating really well, and including prunes, oatmeal, etc. She is too embarrassed to ask her doula, even though I have told her this is very common.

I have actually never had a problem with either though, so I need some help...

My doctor prescribed metamucil, but I've found that plain ground flaxseed works better and isn't as harsh. Too much non-soluable fiber can be uncomfortable. She could take 1-2 tsp in a glass of orange juice daily throughout pregnancy.

I used that soluble fiber stuff that you stir in water and doesn't taste like anything last pregnancy. I was on a med that caused the situation. Papaya also works pretty well (the plain fruit that is, eating lots of it!).

My OB told me the Prep-H topical was perfectly fine, and Witch Hazel applied topically. If she solves the other part, the hemorrhoids themselves will likely resolve during PG or shortly thereafter.

Apple juice or pear nectar in large quantities works really well to get things moving. And it won't cause cramping like a laxative. I would drink half a bottle a day if I had too, or a whole bottle of sparkling apple cider. And she can get it anywhere, and start right away. For long term, even better, and with less sugar, is Natural Calm, a magnesium supplement that is advised for pregnancy and nursing. Magnesium is a natural stool softener. It also helps keep blood pressure normal and relieves stress. Great stuff. http://www.calmnatural.com/natural-calm-raspberry-lemon-16oz

She needs to stay hydrated, as fiber supplements and high fiber diet will make her even more constipated if she doesn't drink enough water.