Menu

Guitar Players or Anyone with Guitar Experience...

My 2 big kids started guitar lessons today. They're excited, but we need to make a decision. My oldest DS is left-handed (like me and DD 4). We're VERY left-handed, so it's not like we're ambidextrous and can switch back and forth depending on the activity.

Our guitar teacher suggested that he play left-handed, but left the decision up to him. DS isn't so sure. I have no experience with guitar, so I really don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any opinions about this? Are there any real disadvantages to learning to play left-handed, other than not being able to pick up any guitar and play right-handed?

TIA!

Well, I'm not an expert at all. But I taught myself to play guitar left handed (as a right handed person) when I was about 13...because that's what Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain did...and I thought I was cool. :001_huh:

I haven't had any problems, but I also only play for fun about twice a year.

good luck!

DS is extremely left-handed. He started guitar lessons two years ago, at the age of 7.5. We tried to find a left-handed/junior-size guitar and they were few and far between and insanely expensive. We talked with several instructors that said to let DS pick up a right-handed guitar and see if it felt 'natural.' It did, so we went with right-handed guitar. DS does play golf and tennis left-handed (and left-handed golf clubs are also hard to find! :tongue_smilie:) but he has never had a problem with using right for guitar. In fact, now that he is getting into more fingering and playing up and down the neck of the guitar, I think it is to his advantage to use his dominant hand for that.

It gives you more options down the road when you get hooked and "need" more guitars.
:iagree:

Or, in our case, my husband's boss had an expensive guitar that he no longer played and wanted to "gift" to our son. I was very thankful that we didn't have to turn it down because it wasn't left-handed. :001_smile:

Well, I'm not an expert at all. But I taught myself to play guitar left handed (as a right handed person) when I was about 13...because that's what Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain did...and I thought I was cool. :001_huh:

:lol:

I'm not sure what the benefit is. Both hands have different, but equally important jobs on guitar.

It would seem so...

I'm left-handed but play right-handed. Left-handed felt weird to me. If the guitar feels equally comfortable (or equally awkward) both ways, I say go right-handed. It gives you more options down the road when you get hooked and "need" more guitars.

Lol, I guess I'm glad it's not the same with pianos!

:iagree:

Or, in our case, my husband's boss had an expensive guitar that he no longer played and wanted to "gift" to our son. I was very thankful that we didn't have to turn it down because it wasn't left-handed. :001_smile:

What a neat gift!

Our teacher mentioned that most people are rhythm-dominant in their dominant hand--I'm not saying that very well--but that it's sometimes easier to keep the rhythm part of the playing with the dominant hand and let the other hand do the finger work. It's hard to know what to do...

You can re-string it yourself in a couple of hours after looking up instructions on you-tube. I don't see why it would matter at all. All guitars can be strung either way. If you play, you should be able to change your own strings. Let your son choose the one that is most comfortable and feels natural to him and go with it.