Menu

If you've had a Beagle puppy...

We are wanting to get a new pup. Preferably a smaller dog, an inside dog (who can also go outside, of course). We already own two labs...which we love to death...but they are enormous and I prefer to have them outside due to their size and shedding. We live on 2.5 acres, fenced, and in a rural area. Lots of rabbits, squirrels, and the like in our yard. Our one lab mix hunts all. day. long. She's a crazy huntress! haha

So, should I get a Beagle?? Do they bay constantly? Would they bark/bay while inside the house even though it's really quiet where we live? Would they bark/bay the whole time they are outside due to all the animal scents? Would they make decent camping dogs?? I want a dog I can take camping with me that isn't the size of a small horse (labs! haha). I have just always found Beagles to be so darn cute, but having never owned one I'm a little worried about their barking capacity. My dh would not like if they were like smaller yappy dogs who want to bark at any and every little thing/noise. I originally wanted a Westie, but after watching a video about them, hubby said no way. Plus the grooming aspect involved. I really do prefer short haired dogs anyhow. So, the only other dog I like is a Beagle...hubby is skeptical in regards to their barking and their intelligence. Thoughts?

We love beagles. Our first was raised in an apartment. He was so sweet and easy to train. He was about 9 years old when he died and we got beagle. This time a female. Now we live in the country and so she is a bit different from our city/apartment beagle. I am not sure how we managed it, but she is pretty quiet. She usually barks a few times if someone comes to the door. Otherwise she is very attentive to what is going on outside, but doesn't make a lot of noise about it. We do not have a fence right now so she spends a lot of time indoors. Right now she is sitting on my son's lap watching cartoons. When she was a baby she was digging a lot, but has not done that in a while.

There was a thread a few months ago discussing beagle. The consensus was that some people love them, some hate them. They are the cutest puppies!!!

We love our beagle beyond description!

Beagles run away at the tiniest opportunity, though. We joke that beagles fit that description of "love the one you're with", and that they are loyal only to whoever provides the most food. When they run away, they are FAAAAST !

They are self-destructive eating machines if they can get hold of "people food." No "off button".

A very sad fact that I have read more than once, is that beagles often are stolen and sold on the black market to science labs because they are so people-loving.

They do hunt, but without training, they eat or mangle what they catch. No bird is safe in our yard. Hannah eats 1-2 babies annually if we don't keep heavy tabs on her. Geckos are another "treat" in her book.

Baying is only occasional, and the "trigger cause" often cannot be determined. Sometimes she appears to have had a nightmare, because we will find her baying in her sleep.

She barks if another dog is out on the street, but quits as soon as the dog is out of sight. We never have considered her barking a nuisance.

Again, we love our beagle, and can't imagine life without her!

The running away is a bit scary. I'm not sure if I'd want him/her to be allowed in the 2 acres part of the yard, or just the fenced backyard we have. We have to open a large gate when we come and go, and if he/she got a crazy scent while the gate was open...eeek!

How about obedience training? Did you have any problems with that? I have read that one needs to begin at an early age (8 weeks) in obedience training. We are also avid crate trainers and find that crate training is the only way to go. I can just imagine the first few crate training nights with a baying/barking beagle though. :lol:

Our neighbors across the stress have the cutest beagle...who has never shut his adorable mouth in past three years. He backs inside and outside 24/7. Honestly, he produces the sound of a pack of dogs. He's friendly, but drives everyone, even our neighbors nuts.

Our neighbors across the stress have the cutest beagle...who has never shut his adorable mouth in past three years. He backs inside and outside 24/7. Honestly, he produces the sound of a pack of dogs. He's friendly, but drives everyone, even our neighbors nuts.

Is he outside a lot by himself? Or alone inside? In reading about Beagles they say that they do not do well being left alone, that they are very much a family dog and need to be with you at all times. If left alone they will exhibit separation anxiety which will be barking, barking, and more barking. Not a good dog for families in which mom and dad both work outside the home leaving pup home by himself all day. I'm assuming that this may be the case with this particular dog, otherwise, wouldn't the family make it stop barking??? I'd have to get a bark collar or something if my dog insistently barked. Ack! That is kind of scary. Perhaps it lacks training and intervention?:confused:

Melissa, we did not adopt a puppy, but a guesstimated 4-year old dog. She already was trained in multiple ways.

It is true that beagles crave companionship. The most anxiety-crazed beagle I have met stays at home, inside, all day while the parents work and the daughter is at school and activities. That said, however, the dog does not spend its days howling, but sparring with their cat. :D . . . That you already have two dogs, however, probably covers that angle -- assuming that they will be accepting of a much younger dog.

Our neighbors had a beagle pup. I don't remember any barking/baying, but he chewed up EVERYTHING, including the rubber & plastic pieces of their brand new riding lawnmower. He stole the shoes off my porch and chewed up the other neighbors' childrens' toys. He also dug holes all over the yards for his treasures. I don't think they kept him six months ;)

:lol::lol: Well, having owned lab pups I know ALL about chewing! Three looong years of puppyhood chewing. Our very first lab chewed up every lawn hose we owned...and then started in on the patio furniture. Nothing was sacred. He was an awful, awful, AWFUL dog! We loved him to death.

Melissa, we did not adopt a puppy, but a guesstimated 4-year old dog. She already was trained in multiple ways.

It is true that beagles crave companionship. The most anxiety-crazed beagle I have met stays at home, inside, all day while the parents work and the daughter is at school and activities. That said, however, the dog does not spend its days howling, but sparring with their cat. :D . . . That you already have two dogs, however, probably covers that angle -- assuming that they will be accepting of a much younger dog.

In general, labs are pretty easy going dogs. I'm sure they would let the pup know who's in charge, but I doubt they would hurt him/her.

We owned a beagle. I have vowed never again! Much barking, much chewing, difficult to potty train, very stubborn. But, she was cute as all get out! My kids loved her and she loved them. In the end, it was the potty training issue that I could not deal with. We also crate trained her and she was in obedience training from a tiny puppy, and she was not our first dog. We rehomed her with a nice lady. I loved our Australian shepherd! We have a boxer now. She is great with the kids, but super hyper!

We don't have a beagle puppy, but as the owner of a campground, I can say they're great camping dogs :001_smile:. We see a lot of beagles come in with their families. I rarely hear any baying and there are times when there at least 5-6 beagles on the property.

I would be most concerned about wandering. Beagles will let their nose lead them at every opportunity. We live in a rural area and there are always at least a dozen beagles at the local animal shelter that have gone on some high adventure away from home.

I think they are very sweet and would consider one, but we don't have a fenced yard and that would be a no-no.

The running away is a bit scary. I'm not sure if I'd want him/her to be allowed in the 2 acres part of the yard, or just the fenced backyard we have. We have to open a large gate when we come and go, and if he/she got a crazy scent while the gate was open...eeek!

How about obedience training? Did you have any problems with that? I have read that one needs to begin at an early age (8 weeks) in obedience training. We are also avid crate trainers and find that crate training is the only way to go. I can just imagine the first few crate training nights with a baying/barking beagle though. :lol:

So far, we have been lucky..our beagle does run out of our fencing (8 acres) because she gets a scent and once they have a scent it consumes them, no amount of training that I can do could ever compete with that. But, she is also very tied to her family...she has always come back even after 9 hours...she knows her way home and I'm sure in the woods she goes 1-2 miles deep into it! I will add that they will want to sleep under the covers in your bed touching some part of something warm..they are pack animals really.

If you get a beagle, I would go with a 13", they do not get more than 15 pounds (beagles are notorious for overeating, so you do have to limit their food or they'll eat eat eat...my vet says it's amazing to see a beagle that fits its weight range! Ours is about 13 pounds) ...here's a picture of our Gabby and she loves our black lab mix...the mix tolerates her b/c the beagle kept trying to sleep in her legs all the time...now she just sleeps near one of us! :)

elizacamerajuly003-1.jpg

Oh, and she only barks when she hears ambulances...now not as often but maybe the high pitch hurts her ears?

Edited by ma23peas

No. The husband works nights and the wife is a teacher. He just loves barking. No again, they think he is adorable and he is, but the constant barking is more than annoying to the neighborhood. I'm so happy the heat wave has all of them inside with the windows and doors shut; the peace and quiet is almost worth it.

They did get him a doggy friend and now they both enjoy barking. The smaller dog's bark doesn't carry and isn't as loud or irritating. The neighbors may just be bad dog owners, but the little one is much less of a nuisance. He seems to bark at a more normal level of sound and frequency.

I've always thought Beagles would be a great pet, but muffin man has put me off the breed forever. ymmv

Is he outside a lot by himself? Or alone inside? In reading about Beagles they say that they do not do well being left alone, that they are very much a family dog and need to be with you at all times. If left alone they will exhibit separation anxiety which will be barking, barking, and more barking. Not a good dog for families in which mom and dad both work outside the home leaving pup home by himself all day. I'm assuming that this may be the case with this particular dog, otherwise, wouldn't the family make it stop barking??? I'd have to get a bark collar or something if my dog insistently barked. Ack! That is kind of scary. Perhaps it lacks training and intervention?:confused:

We have owned 2 beagles...we currently have a 10 month old puppy. Neither of ours were constant bayers, although they will bark when horses and other dogs walk by the house. We also have a lab and there was no issue with who was Alpha when the beagle pup came. The lab definitely exerted his authority and she (the beagle) immediately submitted. However, they play very sweetly together...the lab is very soft-mouthed with her, as labs usually are.

We had neighbors who accidentally had some beagle pups and we got one! Phoenix is fantastic! She loves everyone, doesn't bray/bark a lot, even comes back if she runs away:) I think females are better at not running away, but we really haven't had a problem at all since she was about 1 and we got her a nice fenced back yard. She will chase birds and squirrels, but has never actually caught anything. She is sweet to out cats and guinea pigs.

Her parents where both basically the same way. I have seen a few obnoxious and annoying beagles, but most of that was lack of training and/or love. Phoenix would be a great camping dog if we went. I would recommend getting a wireless electric fence. It is portable and she wouldn't have to be actually tied up while camping. Our Phoenix is a bit timid and would probably not run off, but some beagles would.

Good luck!

We have a beagle and he is most definitely a people lover. He is so good with the girls though and puts up with them trying to dress him up all the time. He even plays hide 'n' seek with them. :D He doesn't bark/bay too much but if he sees people or animals he gets so excited he can't help himself. We've had no trouble training him though and he is actually pretty smart.

Here is as Underdog.

We had neighbors who accidentally had some beagle pups and we got one! Phoenix is fantastic! She loves everyone, doesn't bray/bark a lot, even comes back if she runs away:) I think females are better at not running away, but we really haven't had a problem at all since she was about 1 and we got her a nice fenced back yard. She will chase birds and squirrels, but has never actually caught anything. She is sweet to out cats and guinea pigs.

Her parents where both basically the same way. I have seen a few obnoxious and annoying beagles, but most of that was lack of training and/or love. Phoenix would be a great camping dog if we went. I would recommend getting a wireless electric fence. It is portable and she wouldn't have to be actually tied up while camping. Our Phoenix is a bit timid and would probably not run off, but some beagles would.

Good luck!

We had a neighbour with one of those. We'd put our loveable lab/rottie out on her chain and along would come the beagle. It would then stand just out of reach of my dog and bay and bay and drive my poor dog into a frenzy until I brought her in.

The neighbours didn't fence or chain it and let it run the neighbourhood. Needless to say it was killed by a car before it was 2.

Ours is 11 mths old, seen here. She's a great dog, she does bark a bit, but not more than other dogs IMO. We have a very laid back lab (registered guide dog for my son) and they get along great. We did have some alpha issues with her, but a good training collar and 4 good corrections later, she's awesome. I would not trust her off-leash, but I have tethored her to the lab at a camp and she did great! It gave them lots of freedom and I could trust the lab's recall so Autumn couldn't take off. :tongue_smilie: Beagles are super kid-dogs, and super affectionate.

Thanks for responding everyone! I guess with every breed, there are good genes and bad genes. I know our first lab and our second lab were two completely different creatures...both with the wonderful lab personality, but one with the horrid chewing/jumping/alpha male dog syndrome...and the other super sweet without a lot of chewing and very easily trained. Our third lab mix is a total hunter...with the sweet lab personality. So, I guess I'll pray now that if we get a beagle, we get a good non baying/barking too much one!!

Speaking of which, we went to the local animal rescue today and there wasn't a single beagle or beagle mix in the bunch. There were probably about 120 dogs there and not one beagle. A super sweet looking Great Dane and a beautiful large Springer Spaniel...but both much too large for an indoor lap dog. ;) Lots and lots and lots of pit bulls and chiuauahs (yeah, don't have a CLUE how to spell that! :lol:) It's so hard going there! I just want to rescue all of them. I kept jokingly telling my ds to not look them in the eye, cuz once you do they hook you with their sweet little sad faces.

Ours is 11 mths old, seen here. She's a great dog, she does bark a bit, but not more than other dogs IMO. We have a very laid back lab (registered guide dog for my son) and they get along great. We did have some alpha issues with her, but a good training collar and 4 good corrections later, she's awesome. I would not trust her off-leash, but I have tethored her to the lab at a camp and she did great! It gave them lots of freedom and I could trust the lab's recall so Autumn couldn't take off. :tongue_smilie: Beagles are super kid-dogs, and super affectionate.

OMGosh....such a cute, cute, cute beagle! Do you have any current big girl pictures? :001_smile:

Lots and lots and lots of pit bulls and chiuauahs

We adopted a lab/pit mix last summer and she's been amazing. I've since learned that her qualities are classic pit bull qualities. She's extremely loving cuddly, doesn't leave us when we're outside and takes all the mauling we can dish out. Every morning when we get she's terribly excited to see us and greet/love everyone and she's extremely vocal - not so much the barking but the yowls, howls and weird vocalizations that make me think she's trying to mimic our speech. We get quite a lecture when we come home after leaving her crated for a few hours. :)

I used to be dead set against pits until we got our mix and got to know some others around us. Now I understand why they're so darn popular as family dogs. It also helps that ours is a mix. She's actually a very dainty, fine boned dog so isn't the powerhouse a lot of pits are and certainly doesn't have the jaw muscles.

If the beagle thing doesn't work out and you're a fairly confident dog owner, the pit bulls might be worth another look. :)

We adopted a lab/pit mix last summer and she's been amazing. I've since learned that her qualities are classic pit bull qualities. She's extremely loving cuddly, doesn't leave us when we're outside and takes all the mauling we can dish out. Every morning when we get she's terribly excited to see us and greet/love everyone and she's extremely vocal - not so much the barking but the yowls, howls and weird vocalizations that make me think she's trying to mimic our speech. We get quite a lecture when we come home after leaving her crated for a few hours. :)

I used to be dead set against pits until we got our mix and got to know some others around us. Now I understand why they're so darn popular as family dogs. It also helps that ours is a mix. She's actually a very dainty, fine boned dog so isn't the powerhouse a lot of pits are and certainly doesn't have the jaw muscles.

If the beagle thing doesn't work out and you're a fairly confident dog owner, the pit bulls might be worth another look. :)

We have friends who own pit bulls and love them. They do make great family dogs...or so they think. I actually thought many of the pit mixes at the rescue were adorable...just too large for what I want. I don't get why there are so many at the rescue though?? I makes me sad.

We have friends who own pit bulls and love them. They do make great family dogs...or so they think. I actually thought many of the pit mixes at the rescue were adorable...just too large for what I want. I don't get why there are so many at the rescue though?? I makes me sad.

People are afraid of them. :( A neighbour once found a pit bull puppy (5 or 6 months?) roaming around lost and brought it to me (apparently if you rescue a baby skunk or two then you're tagged the crazy animal lady here) and we had it for a night. It was frantic for human attention and when my daughter spent time with it it would just roll around in her lap and adore her. We couldn't keep it though so I called around to local rescues and none would take her because pits are so hard to re-home. I finally called animal control and they took him and adopted him out.

I admit, part of why we didn't keep him was because I had the same worry so many people have. But now that I know my dog I'm hooked on pit bulls. :)

My first dog of my own after I moved out of my parents house (back in the stone age LOL) was a beagle. She was such a sweetheart, did not bay/bark a lot, was very lovey. She was actually very smart. I had her trained to shut the door for me. The ONLY thing I can say about her is that she had the WORST gas...oh and she loved to hog the heater in the floor in wintertime (I lived in MI at the time).

btw, I have a 14 year old yellow lab named Jake. We lost his twin brother almost a year ago and I think we will be saying goodbye to Jake before the year is out. :(

We just adopted a beagle/basset hound mix and so far she's quite the sweety! She is only about 12wks old and has chewed a few things here and there namely the cord to a lamp (unplugged thank goodness)! She seems to be very smart and eager to please, house training is going fairly well and she only barks when the kids get her wound up. She was mouthing and nipping a lot but I think I got that under control. We've owned shih-tzu's in the past and had to have one put down last year due to cancer, and while they are great dogs they seem to have more health issues and are high maintenance.

I can honestly say, having owned one from the time she was a puppy and for two years, I would never, ever, ever consider getting a beagle ever again.

She was the sweetest thing in the world, but we simply didn't understand her breed before we bought her and we were under the misunderstanding we could train annoying quirks out of her. It was a very bad fit.

I can honestly say, having owned one from the time she was a puppy and for two years, I would never, ever, ever consider getting a beagle ever again.

She was the sweetest thing in the world, but we simply didn't understand her breed before we bought her and we were under the misunderstanding we could train annoying quirks out of her. It was a very bad fit.

Can you specify "annoying quirks"? :) I want to go into this decision with my eyes wide open. I know they can have a tendency to bark/bay, and that they follow their noses into trouble (tendency to run away), but can you tell me what specific annoying quirks you had to deal with? I am assuming, after two years, you got rid of her due to them?

The only dog we have ever given away was a Cocker Spaniel. He was too high maintenance (grooming) for us at a time in our young married lives when money was scarce, and he REFUSED to potty train. Couldn't have him in the house 2 minutes without him piddling somewhere. Ack! I didn't know about crate training, or any type of dog training, back then though. My understanding at the time was that you put newspaper on the floor and trained them to go on it. If they didn't, you rubbed their nose in their piddle and told them how bad they were while throwing them outside. Ha! What a nightmare. To this day I feel bad about getting rid of him. I honestly didn't know what I was doing. He was such a sweet guy...and so stinkin cute.

All that to say, I really don't want to go into this decision with my eyes closed. I know that each beagle will have it's quirks, like any breed, so I want to make sure I can handle said quirks. House training issues would be a HUGE quirk to me. I want this to be an inside dog, and if I can't train him, like I couldn't the cocker, I wouldn't be able to keep him. =(

We have a little pain in my side named Lola. She's two, about 8lbs and 10inches tall. And she is my son's best friend! When we went to the beach on vacation, instead of spending his birthday money on a toy,(he's 6) he spent it having Lola boarded at the vet because he didn't think Mimi could watch her well enough and she might run away. And they DO run. She gets out constantly! but, one day, when I thought she was lost for good the next morning we woke up and she was on the porch! She came back just fine, and we live in a subdivision next to a very busy road. She doesn't bark much, but the running away gets old, just because my 6 year old gets so upset! This is where we got her, she looks just like the one on the top left of the page :)

http://www.pets4you.com/pages/andertons/

Well, I found some pups for $300. I am leery of AKC pups selling at $300 when all of the breeders in the area sell for $1,000+ though. My dh will NOT pay $1000 for a dog. Ever. But the breeders say that you're taking your chances on a back yard breed, that they often exhibit most of the annoying Beagle traits that a well bred one has had selectively bred out of them. I am torn. I don't have enough stuff lying around to sell to make the money, and if I am going to pay a lot for a dog, it will have to be money *I* have made. My dh staunchly refuses to spend more than $200-$300 for a dog...and even THAT is too high in his book.

You'd want to train, have a fence that is the "invisible fence" around the 2 acres... (even if you have another one, I would think) and also train with a shock collar. Not so you can shock them for everything, but rather so you could "pinch" them if they were running away. Much nicer than a squished dog! (or lost!) Make sure you're training them with someone who's reputable...someone besides a pet store socializer. I trained ours with someone who trained police dogs; it was extremely valuable... for ME!! (oh, and he got trained, too... but it's mostly the human that needs trained :))

Well, I found some pups for $300. I am leery of AKC pups selling at $300 when all of the breeders in the area sell for $1,000+ though. My dh will NOT pay $1000 for a dog. Ever. But the breeders say that you're taking your chances on a back yard breed, that they often exhibit most of the annoying Beagle traits that a well bred one has had selectively bred out of them. I am torn. I don't have enough stuff lying around to sell to make the money, and if I am going to pay a lot for a dog, it will have to be money *I* have made. My dh staunchly refuses to spend more than $200-$300 for a dog...and even THAT is too high in his book.

Puppy mill ?? I'm leery.

I got my pup and cas from the Humane Society, but I have to say, next time I'm purchasing from someone who shows dogs. I had found a person who shows and then has their female have a litter. I'm pretty set on a Soft coated Wheaton Terrier. They don't shed, and you have to be an Alpha and there is grooming. Whatever I get will be a "non-shedder". I'm pretty sure that you pay for the animal or risk vet bills to get them healthy. This time, I'm going to pay. Of course, for me... getting a dog is probably 10 years or so away... I'm going to enjoy the dog that sheds all over, but is a wonderful dog. But, when I get another one.... I'm going to go straight to what I want... and not. stop. by. any. rescue! :) (Could be skewed by the fact that I can't even add up how much I've spent since my last cat from the Humane Society that brought some nasty infection home to my other cat... months ago... and I'm still having to go to the vet!!! Yesterday, $240.....and before that.... mucho money!!)

Its funny how the prices different from state to state, region to region. Here, $300-$500 is average price, anything under $300 screams puppy mill. The breeder we got Lola from was great with a nice place and good healthy dogs. She's a great dog, though she does get on my last nerve sometimes! Its definitely love/hate.

A long time ago, before I knew any better, I got a beagle puppy from a puppy mill catering to hunters for $30. Alex was the runt of the litter, and his littermates chewed off one of his back toes before we got him. He was probably the best dog I have ever had. He only ever chewed one thing (a pair of Birkenstocks!) and housetrained very easily. He lived indoors, but was happy to spend a few hours a day in a kennel outside. He slept in my bed, and even liked to put his head on the pillow and use his teeth to pull the covers over himself! :) He LOVED to go on hikes or camping, and adapted well when I got a second, larger dog. The only problem I ever had was that he did not do well when DD was born; I had had him for 9 years by that point, and he did NOT like having a baby around. The day he peed on my infant while she was in the floor was the last straw for dh. We sent him to live with my parents, where he grew fat and lived another 5 years. The only health problem he ever had was ear issues from his floppy ears. I swore I'd never own another floppy eared dog after that.

I think you're right to be leery. I'd stay way from that.

I would be most concerned about wandering. Beagles will let their nose lead them at every opportunity. We live in a rural area and there are always at least a dozen beagles at the local animal shelter that have gone on some high adventure away from home.

:iagree: A lost beagle found our gate open once, when we were outside doing some yard work. I put up signs and took that dog to all of the local vets and everything else I could think of, thinking for sure that some family was so sad, missing their pet. I also called a beagle rescue group but they never called me back. I ended up having to take it to the pound (while crying all the way there). They reassured me that someone would adopt a beautiful pup like that (she was young and very cute). They also said it was common for beagles to get lost or run away because they love to track a scent and will follow their nose for a long way and not know how to get back home.

I have also heard they are not very smart so they may be harder to train.

They are so very cute though.

I am actually more leery of high priced "show dogs." They scream puppy mill to me (like a pet shop puppy). I bought our GSD from a family breeder. They had several breeding pairs and practically hand raise their puppies. We were able to meet their dogs and see how much they loved them all. He only cost $300 and he is great. He probably isn't "show material," but so what?

OTOH, our beagle came from a neighbor who's beagles had an "uh-oh." She was free and is fantastic. Again, probably not the most perfect specimen of a beagle, but who cares? I would not be scared away by the price alone. Go check it out!

Have you checked craiglist and freecycle? People often find themselves in situations where they can't care for their dogs and just try to find a good home.

I am actually more leery of high priced "show dogs." They scream puppy mill to me (like a pet shop puppy). I bought our GSD from a family breeder. They had several breeding pairs and practically hand raise their puppies. We were able to meet their dogs and see how much they loved them all. He only cost $300 and he is great. He probably isn't "show material," but so what?

OTOH, our beagle came from a neighbor who's beagles had an "uh-oh." She was free and is fantastic. Again, probably not the most perfect specimen of a beagle, but who cares? I would not be scared away by the price alone. Go check it out!

Have you checked craiglist and freecycle? People often find themselves in situations where they can't care for their dogs and just try to find a good home.

The show dog breeders here only breed 1x-2x a year and their pups live in the house with them. They have full health guarentees, microchips, etc, and they will take the dog back at any time should you decide it's not the right animal for you.

I honestly don't have a huge problem with back yard breeders though...all of my dogs have been from family breeders like that. But this particular place with the pups for $300 gives me pause...

She sent pics of the pups and the ears on them (7 week old pups mind you) were hanging mid way down their front legs. When I questioned her about them she said that that was normal. Hmph. In every single Beagle pup picture I have seen I have yet to see one with ears THAT long. They seem very beagle/basset to me, yet they are selling them as AKC Beagles?

She said that she would bring a few of the pups to her office for me to view. Meaning, that I was not allowed to see where the pups live, see the parents of them, etc. Not cool.

She also said that she could meet me closer to my home (she's 2 hours away) and bring a pup with her, but that she would only bring one pup and that's the one I would have to purchase....for an extra $25 delivery charge. Which tells me she is just trying to unload her pups and could care less whether a potential owner bonds with said pup or not. I told her that there was no way I would pick out a dog companion via picture alone. I just don't work that way. In fact, though I prefer a male, I would want to see and play with ALL of the pups. If I bonded with a female, I would get the female. Period.

She has an adorable pup pictured in her newspaper ad (with normal ears, etc). I asked her if she still had that pup and she said that no, that ad pic is not actually a real pup of hers and that she just uses that pic for advertising????

She is selling her females for $250-$300 and her males $200-$250. Great prices for sure and I'm good with that and if she seemed more trustworthy I would be all over it. But, to drive 4 hours round trip and find that her dogs are not healthy. Ugh. I don't know. I think I should continue looking and hoping someone closer will be selling some 'oops!' Beagle litters soon. Haha! Our last AKC Lab was only $175 from a back yard breeder. He is not even close to show dog quality. He's got a too long/too big gene somewhere. His nose is too long. His tail is waaaay too long. His legs are too long. His body is too long. He's just plain too big! Haha BUT, he is the best dog EVER! So, I am not against purchasing a less that top quality (breed standard) pup, I don't care about that aspect. I think the fact that I am not altogether familiar with Beagles is what's scaring me most. Labs I know. Beagles....nope!...so I'm a little worried about getting a bad behaved/badly bred/barky barky one. ;)