Menu

Lessons Learned after Week One on the Allergy Discovery Diet

Background: our whole family is on a three week adventure to discover any hidden (or not so hidden) food allergies.

My ds10 really, really likes lima bean pancakes! (He's asked to have them even when the diet is over.) And he is my picky eater.:p

We were worried that dh (diabetic) would have a hard time with his bloodsugars on this diet but his bloodsugars have been more controlled than before! We'll have to figure out what is so good for diabetics on this diet.

My dd6 can eat cranberries! She is so excited! She had seemed to have had a reaction IRL but it may have been to something else instead (the real world is such an uncontrolled environment!):eek:

Although supposedly "hypoallergenic" (for the purposes of the diet) my dh seems to be allergic to bananas. We need to test some more (in isolation from other foods).

Even though my health was the main catalyst for this diet - I seem to be same as always. No better than before and no worse. We'll see what next week has for us - it is biggie - we test corn, soy, wheat, dairy as well as other foods.

Just FYI - I could not tell that dairy was a problem for me until I'd been off it for several weeks. When I first went off of it I thought that I did not see a difference, and so thought it was not a problem. Apparently it can take dairy a long time to clear your system.

Lima bean pancakes? Ok, that's different ;-)

Although supposedly "hypoallergenic" (for the purposes of the diet) my dh seems to be allergic to bananas. We need to test some more (in isolation from other foods).

I have a friend who told me that many folks with dairy issues can also have issues with bananas (he has dairy issues, also can't tolerate gluten).

You might find this interesting

http://foodallergens.ifr.ac.uk/food.lasso?selected_food=5

seems a banana allergy may be related to a birch allergy or to latex allergy (the latter involving other fruit as well). Doesn't mention any link to dairy though, so I don't know if my friend was correct.

The cross reactions are interesting---one friend could have most nuts but not cashews because they were related to poison ivy and she is severely allergic to poison ivy.

Good luck with the diet and testing.

Just FYI - I could not tell that dairy was a problem for me until I'd been off it for several weeks. When I first went off of it I thought that I did not see a difference, and so thought it was not a problem. Apparently it can take dairy a long time to clear your system.

Lima bean pancakes? Ok, that's different ;-)

Our experience with dairy was the same. It took a good two weeks until we noticed a marked difference in my son. Good luck with your upcoming week.

I'm also really curious about lima bean pancakes - recipe?

Jean,

Is there a website for this?

Pamela - no website. I'm following a book called "The Allergy Discovery Diet" by Dr. John Postley. Note to anyone interested in it: it is expensive. It calls for a lot strange foods - esp. expensive cuts of meat. (veal and lamb and tuna steaks are three expensive kinds with have come up a number of times- and today I have to find rabbit meat somewhere). Also a number of things to get from healthfood/ co-op kinds of places - millet, kasha, barley malt sugar. . . :confused: It is also not for the vegetarian - though each day has it's own "bean" of some kind assigned to it - so maybe I'm wrong. Even with the beans we've appreciated the meats because you are very limited in what you can eat each day.

I'd be interested in the diet information as well.

And the recipe for the pancakes.

Thanks,

Amy

Lima Bean pancakes -

1 10 oz. bag of frozen lima beans (don't thaw)

1 tsp. olive oil

1 cup (approx.) water - I'd go less at first - I put too much in and it was hard to get the lima bean mixture to "dry out" enough to fry!

Olive oil for greasing skillet

Grind the frozen lima beans in your food processor. It is really loud. I left the room and came back in about five minutes! - it should resemble green corn meal in texture. Put in a bowl with the oil. Add water. Put about 1/4 cup of lima bean mixture on a hot skillet. Flip when brown on one side. They are more like lima bean "fritters" than pancakes.

My dh and dd6 don't really care of them. I think they're ok. My ds10 has asked to have them occasionally once we're off the diet. I will definitely go to some trouble to keep him eating lima beans!:cool: