Menu

Question for people who are familiar w/ Lively Latin and Latin's Not So Tough

My 12 yr old dd is doing Classical Conversations Challenge A this fall. The program uses LNST Levels 3 and 4. I have heard so many negatives about this Latin program. I have already purchased Lively Latin for my 11 year old. My question is this: would my dd learn the same amount of material from Lively Latin Big Book 1 that she would doing LNST 3 and 4? This will be her first year of Latin and I want it to be pleasant, clear, and painless so she can have a good foundation in the language.

I've never used Lively Latin, but I did teach Challenge A with LNST 3&4. They are really horrible. I have taught Latin many times before, so I was able to teach it on my own, just assigning the books for homework.

The Challenge teacher will make or break this for you. I would ask a lot of questions about her Latin background. If she doesn't know Latin, and she is just going to read through the answer key with the kiddos during class time (that's what we were taught to do during training,) it will kill any interest in Latin in most dc. If she knows Latin and will add to the LNST, I would say it would be fine.

I looked at the Lively Latin description (for Big Book 1.) It covers different material than LNST 3&4, but you could eaily make up the difference. LNST introduces a lot of work to memorize (all of the declensions and conjugations,) but doesn't go into depth or explain them well, doesn't introduce an extensive vocabulary, and doesn't even mention some things like adjectives. You could just memorize the declensions and conjugations along with the Lively Latin and end up being ahead by the end of the year, because it looks like Lively Latin teaches concepts more deeply.

Mogster,

You have 2 children? One that will be using LNST in Challenge and one that will be doing Lively Latin at home?

Or will the one in Challenge be opting out of Latin or sitting in but doing Lively Latin at home?

I have the same situation - one child in Challenge A and 2 children at home who should be learning Latin anyway (Latin got pushed to the side a few years ago during LCI!) My plan was, despite the bad reviews for LNST, was to have the younger two work through it alongside their brother. It was suggested that I needed to be keeping up with it myself. And - my kids would be getting some Latin - which is better than what I've been able to accomplish on my own the last 3 years!

But after reading your post, I'm thinking of another option - let him sit through class, but use a different program at home for all three. Hmm - I probably need the accountability of CC to make sure I actually accomplish it though.

Lots to think about.

Lively Latin has better explainations that LNST, and also has video lectures on line to watch. Let's see, LL assumes the children don't know grammar so teaches it in English before teaching it in Latin. We always ran into problems using LNST, but Lively Latin is working much better for the family. LNST, if you know what you're doing, doesn't take long and would be an excellent review. My suggestion is to start Lively latin first and use LNST with both children as a review. :001_smile:

Your child will learn so much more with Lively Latin! All you'd need to do to keep up with LNST (which I truly loathe) is maybe a little memory work, since the books don't necessarily cover the same things in the same order. But LL is worlds better. It's a very "light" program for an 11 or 12yo, so don't worry about letting them move quickly, especially if they enjoy it.