Menu

Has anyone looked at WWS and decided not to use it?

My title says it all....

I am using and love WWE. My son is going into 4th so I have another year before deciding. I was all sold on using WWS after WWE4 but then I got the samples and honestly I don't know if I want to use it. :leaving: I *love* SWB's philosophy on writing, I have all the audio lectures and adore them. But I don't like the way WWS is set up and I *really* want to be able to use my own passages from what we are studying in other areas for our writing.

So I am wondering... I could just follow the guidelines in the audio lectures and NOT buy WWS, right? Is anyone else planning on doing this?

FTR, we use R&S English so there will be a little overlap in the writing, so I'm not worried about missing anything. Am I nuts?

:bigear:

Of course, you can do it w/ your own samples. I would say that is ideal Just some of us need guidelines. Now that I've done the beta test, I see how to do it on my own and in fact, I had already done it on my own before then, just didn't know it. I would outline documentaries we were watching and then have DS pick a portion of the outline to re-write from. WWE and WWS are for those of us who don't want to do it on our own.

I do like how SWB introduces literary essays and I found the discussion on plagiarism very helpful as well as how to write about poetry. We likely won't need all of the outlining part but the rest of it is still worth the price for some handholding for me. If you don't need it, don't buy it. Simple as that. :001_smile: SAve your money for some cool science kits. :D

I wanted to second the Capt. I've looked at the WWS samples, and yes, you could definitely do it with your own sources. In fact, I thought that is what I would do if I used WWS, and it would be the ideal as Capt wrote. Use source materials that apply to your sources rather than the sources included with WWS. However, WWS includes many more concepts and skills than the audio lectures. Perhaps you could just buy the teacher materials for WWS, make a list of concepts, and cover them with materials connected to your studies. This is what we did when we used IEW. I often taught the unit with an IEW source, but then we practiced the concepts with our own sources.