Menu

Does YOUR mother's age correlate to your attitude about pajamas?

How old is your mother, and do you let your kids wear pajamas all day at home?  

1. 1. How old is your mother, and do you let your kids wear pajamas all day at home?

• My mother is under 50, and I let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is under 50, and I don't let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 50-59, and I let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 50-59, and I don't let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 60-69, and I let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 60-69, and I don't let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 70+, and I let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 70+, and I don't let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • Other, because there has to be an other.

I voted 70+ (and no pajamas), but I also voted other because my mom is actually dead. She would have been 74 this year.

Yeah, when I wrote the poll, I considered adding language about the age our mothers are or would have been, but there wasn't space. I hoped what I meant would be self-evident.

I let my kids choose what they will wear and for how long, although wearing the same outfit for a third day may get them some hints about washing and laundry.:lol:

I had one set of pajamas that were so cute that my mom didn't care if I wore it outside in the summer and played in it. :001_smile:She would be in her late 70's if she were still alive.

I chose "other".

I want ahousecoat!!

My mother is 80 and will still make comments about her housecoat, which she wears more and more often these days as her health isn't great.

She has asked me several times if I need a new housecoat for Christmas! :lol:

Nope, don't even own a nightgown or PJs, so certainly don't need a housecoat.

(we wear sweats to bed)

Dawn

Seriously??!?! :lol::lol: This poll made me feel SO old that the first couple of options are your mom is over 50. (as one approaching 50 a full-steam...it just made me feel oooold LOLOL) On non-school, or easy work days, we can wear our pj's all day if we want, especially in the winter. On hard school work days, we dress.

Edited by DarcyB

My mom is going to be 61 this year.

Most days I have DS get dressed after breakfast, before school. But, we do school in the morning, and if we're having a day where I know we're not going out in the morning and nobody is coming over, I don't stress if he's in his PJs during school and then changes after. And once in a while we have a jammie day, usually if somebody isn't feel very well.

We pretty much always got changed in my house unless we were sick, but we had lazy mornings if it wasn't a school/work day or we weren't going anywhere. There was no rush to shower and dress.

My mother is 52 and I don't really remember wearing my PJs all day as a kid, but when I was a teenager I did on occasion if I didn't have to work or go to school.

My children love to have "jammy days." We don't do it often, maybe once a month or so, but it's fun. :001_smile:

There are people whose MOM is under 50 here! Crazy!

I voted mom between 60-69 and do NOT let kids stay in jammies. . . .

I'm adding the clause (unless they're sick;))

That one shocked me at first glance, but then I thought well... let's say you're in your mid to late 20's and you have little ones (k-3 age) and if your mom had you in her mid 20's or even a little earlier, then it would be very possible to have an under 50 mom.

On the other hand, we have plenty of moms here who are over 50 themselves!

I'm not so sure it is about age as it is about personality, etc.

My mother is 70. There is no chance of her homeschooling me and my siblings so staying in our pajamas all day would not be an option. She needed us at school so she could go shopping all day.

I have a cousin the same age as me and her mother is 82. My aunt was completely relaxed about anything and everything. My cousin was homeschooled from 4th grade-12th grade and probably spent more time in pajamas than out.

I voted that my mother is in her 60's & I'm OK with PJ's all day. I do own a couple housecoats - my spinster aunt keeps handing them down to me. I think it's a result of so many Christmases & nobody knowing what to get her. I actually do wear them at times. They do come in handy - I use them as a robe which doesn't have the tie that inevitably comes undone every time I try to do something.

That one shocked me at first glance, but then I thought well... let's say you're in your mid to late 20's and you have little ones (k-3 age) and if your mom had you in her mid 20's or even a little earlier, then it would be very possible to have an under 50 mom.

On the other hand, we have plenty of moms here who are over 50 themselves!

My oldest daughter was 9 when my mom turned 50. ;)

I DO NOT like anybody wearing PJs or sweats during the day. I have to say it is very much me and nothing to do with my mom or her age. :D:D:D I am a firm believer that you feel as you are dressed. kwim??

That is why I voted both. Other meaning feel as the way you are dressed. PJ= crabby and too relaxed/

Dressed your best= feel great and raving to go and be successful!!

Holly

My mother is 63, has always worked outside the home and couldn't care less if the kids stayed in their jammies all day. SHE has been known to stay in her jammies all day, if she doesn't have something to do.

My grandmothers would have been mortified. They both did stay at home and working stints. My greats were stay at home and would have been mortified.

My kids get dressed/brushed/washed as soon as they finish breakfast.

This, except my mother is older and we get dressed before breakfast unless it's Christmas. Sick kids aren't going to eat breakfast, so they can stay in their PJs if they want.

That is why I voted both. Other meaning feel as the way you are dressed. PJ= crabby and too relaxed/

Dressed your best= feel great and raving to go and be successful!!

For some people. I don't wear PJs all day, but I also don't "dress my best." I really don't like wearing my work clothes, which are more dressy/professional. I feel too stiff and formal. (I also am not one of those women who feels more confident when my hair is done and I've got make-up on--instead, I feel kind of fake and awkward.) I much prefer wearing clothes that I'm comfortable getting down on the ground in, and digging in the dirt with my kids in, and sprawling out on the couch to read in, and rubbing my hands on while I'm baking cookies in. So whenever I'm not teaching (in which case I generally wear dressy pants and a button-down shirt), I'm pretty much sure to be wearing jeans or knit pants and a t-shirt. I feel much more comfortable, much more myself, and so much more contented and confident.

And that is fine with me. I generally allow them to wear whatever they want when we're home. One of mine got home from the fair today and decided to shower and put on PJs and a robe just before dinner. No problem with that.

I get dressed unless I'm really, really sick because my feet do better in "real" shoes, and at that point I might as well do the shirt and jeans.

My mom is 51 today, I don't let the kids stay in pajamas all day, unless one is sick. They're expected to get dressed and brush hair and teeth after breakfast. I rarely sit around in my pjs either, cept sometimes in my yoga pants and a tee- always a bra- and with my hair done. I just feel blah if I don't get dressed. I don't remember my mom caring much either way as a kid. We live out in the country and can go weeks on end w/ no one stopping by- unless i'm in my jammies all day-then they show up. Sometimes in the winter we have special days if it is really snowy, we get dressed in our "good" jammies in the morning, drink cocoa and sit by the fire and read all day! I don't judge others if they are in their jammies all day, it's just one of my personal hang ups. I do judge when I see people- adults or their kids- at the store in dirty ill fitting jammies, I mean, c'mon... :001_unsure: (I don't mean running to Wmart for milk, or at the pharmacy, I mean at the mall or department stores- just don't get it!)

My MIL is 62 and she would be utterly horrified at the thought of one not getting dressed all day long- ill or not! She also thinks that pleasure reading is a complete waste of time, unproductive and lazy. :glare:

I much prefer wearing clothes that I'm comfortable getting down on the ground in, and digging in the dirt with my kids in, and sprawling out on the couch to read in, and rubbing my hands on while I'm baking cookies in.

I totally agree. I think I was take the wrong way a bit. I do agree that I wouldn't wear a dress while gardening but I do want to look nice. If you look nice I believe you will have a better attitude about your self and life in general. That is really just my opinion because I feel like crap if I am in my pj's about 15 min after I get up. :) As long as I am dressed for whatever it is I am doing and look good then I have a much better attitude about myself. When I make my kids dress their best according to what they are doing they feel good as well and their attitudes are better. Even when I am sick I do not stay in my pj's. :D So even dressing for gardening in gardening clothes per your choice is still better than pj's. :D

Holly

My mother died a long time ago, when my oldest children weren't old enough to go to school and homeschool wasn't legal in my state. I have no idea what her thoughts would have been on wearing pajamas all day and since I have never cared what her thoughts were on any number of topics I fail to see any connection. I personally do not wear pajamas all day, and I do not permit my DC to wear pajamas all day either, mainly because sloppiness in dress encourages sloppiness in hygiene and can easily backslide into generalized sloppiness, poor hygiene and less frequent showering, and lowered housekeeping and meal standards. I prefer non-stinky people, a clean house, and good, thoughtfully prepared meals.

Edited by Rainefox

sloppiness in dress encourages sloppiness in hygiene and can easily backslide into generalized sloppiness, poor hygiene and less frequent showering, and lowered housekeeping and meal standards. I prefer non-stinky people, a clean house, and good, thoughtfully prepared meals.

Wowee! That is quite the generalization to make! Even on our jammy days, we do NOT stink, I clean house, and prepare nearly 99% of our meals from scratch. Most of my friends are also SAHM and even though I know most of them are in sweats when no one is home, I have yet to come across one of them that smelled or had a dirty home. :001_huh:

Still don't understand the correlation between wearing jammies=a big, nasty slob.

I should have probably asked this before I voted. Do dress up clothes count as getting dressed?

I voted let stay in pjs, since I'm not strict about it. Our problem isn't so much staying in pjs all day, it's getting them to stay in ANY clothes while at home.

~Cari

:iagree:

I go to work at 3pm, half the time the kids come with me. We generally get dressed right before we leave. I don't want to wear dance clothes all day and I hate doing laundry, so I stay in my pjs until I get ready for work.

Plus pjs are so comfortable!

DS usually changes at least 10 times, and still spends most of the time wearing nothing but panties :)

In our house we don't really have PJs. And if we do wear them it is around the house. Mind you they are always taken off before bed since we all sleep naked, unless it's cold. - since I can't always get my youngest to stay under a blanket.

I don't remember every having PJs as a kid. I do remember my Mom getting annoyed that I slept with underwear on since I was suppose to air out my privates at night. :confused:

Good! I got a little slammed on the original thread for my "air it out" comment and felt bad. Honestly, I have never known anyone in real life who wears undergarments to bed and I was feeling like a weirdo.

Edited by jenr

My mother is 53, and I would let my children wear pj's all day, IF it weren't for the fact that my husband wouldn't. So I do make them get dressed before he gets home if they did have their pj's on all day (which is not very often that they do wear pajamas all day, it's mostly me that is so comfortable in them, lol). BTW, his mother is 73, and she most certainly WOULD NOT let the children wear pj's all day.

I got my attitude about pajama wearing from my mother, who was going through grad school when I was in middle school. She was a full time student, a single mother, worked two jobs on the side, and somehow managed to keep us from ending up on welfare. When she went out, she always presented herself well. And while she was home, she always wore ratty old sweats or pj's while studying and writing her dernier off to get her degree. So I was actually reflecting that she set this wonderful example for me.