Menu

Does YOUR mother's age correlate to your attitude about pajamas?

How old is your mother, and do you let your kids wear pajamas all day at home?  

1. 1. How old is your mother, and do you let your kids wear pajamas all day at home?

• My mother is under 50, and I let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is under 50, and I don't let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 50-59, and I let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 50-59, and I don't let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 60-69, and I let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 60-69, and I don't let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 70+, and I let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • My mother is 70+, and I don't let my kids wear pajamas all day at home.
    • Other, because there has to be an other.

This is a spinoff of my thread about pajamas; poll coming.

I suspect that how old your own mother is has a lot to do with how you were raised, and hence, whether you think pajamas all day are acceptable wear for your kids. What do you think?

Edited to add: I voted that my mother is 70+, and that I don't let my kids wear pajamas all day, because that's been the state of things so far.

Edited by skueppers

My mom is 60+. I allow my kids to stay in pajamas all day if they want. I allow myself to stay in pajamas all day if we are not committed to leaving the house. My mother, and my 87yo grandmother, think I have abandoned all civility for a lazy, sloven life.

My mother is 65 and I let me kids stay in pj's all day unless we are going out. I'm also sitting here in my pj's (sweats and a t-shirt) that I actually wore out to drive dh to work this morning.

My mother was a single mom that worked full-time. We had to get dressed because we had to leave the house in the morning for school and/or daycare. Same with my oldest when she was younger - even in the summer and school breaks she still had to go to daycare/camp so had to get dressed. I think this is why I'm so relaxed now - I spent too many years having to get up, dressed and out of the house way too early in the morning.

My mom is 65 and I don't let the kids wear pjs all day unless they are sick or it is Christmas. :) During the day, we work (among other things) and pjs don't tell your brain it's time to work!

Word for word. Including the age of my mom.:)

I never even realized that staying in pajamas could be an option. But....ick!!! That would just feel lazy to me. We all get dressed first thing in the morning.

I agree. The only time my children stay in their pajamas is when they are violently ill. Otherwise, I think getting bathed and dressed helps even a sick child feel better. My mother would be 53 if she were still alive.

I never even realized that staying in pajamas could be an option. But....ick!!! That would just feel lazy to me. We all get dressed first thing in the morning.

:iagree:

I don't mind having jammie days once in awhile, but it should be infrequent enough that dc don't ask if we're going somewhere because we get dressed, KWIM?

OTHER: No correlation between my mother's age and my decisions. These are disparate elements.

I think, as has been mentioned, a mother's working versus not working can influence this question's outcome. Mothers have worked outside of the home for centuries, so this is not an "age-related" question, to my mind.

Edited by Orthodox6

My mother is 63, has always worked outside the home and couldn't care less if the kids stayed in their jammies all day. SHE has been known to stay in her jammies all day, if she doesn't have something to do.

My grandmothers would have been mortified. They both did stay at home and working stints. My greats were stay at home and would have been mortified.

My kids get dressed/brushed/washed as soon as they finish breakfast.

My mom is nearing 60. She's pretty much always been a SAHM. No, I don't let my children stay in their pjs all day long unless they are ill enough to stay in bed. My mom would never have stayed in her pjs because she wants to get outside ASAP. She loves the outdoors.

My mother is 68 and never let us stay in pjs. We changed into the day clothes the minute our feet hit the floor. However, pjs for us were more formal than pjs for my kids. We had actual night clothes. I wore a nightgown with slippers and a robe and had three of each. My brother wore two piece pjs with robe and slippers. Today, our pjs are last years comfy shorts and plain white t-shirts in the summer, and flannel/fleece pj bottoms and a t-shirt in the winter.

Unless we have an appointment, we stay in pjs until 10 am. From 10 to 11 we shower, pick-up and do breakfast dishes. At 11 am its time for school, and we are dressed.

My mother, stepmother, and father are all in their early-mid fifties. I don't care what the kids wear during the day and I often wear pyjamas myself - I hate clothing that is restrictive in any manner (including bras, which I *only* wear if I'm leaving the house)… and yes, I'm one of those people that many on this forum love to hate --- it doesn't bother me at all to wear my little miss giggles flannel pj pants to the store. :p

My mom is in her 50's and on the very, very rare day we don't have somewhere to be, we normally stay in our pajamas. That said, during the school year it pretty much has to be a national holiday for us not to have some obligation outside the house (:glare:), so it is an extremely rare occasion.

I should have probably asked this before I voted. Do dress up clothes count as getting dressed?

I voted let stay in pjs, since I'm not strict about it. Our problem isn't so much staying in pjs all day, it's getting them to stay in ANY clothes while at home.

~Cari

Edited by CariS

My mother is 55. We sometimes stay in PJs all day, and sometimes we do not. I honestly do more than the kids because I have less clothing so I save it for going out days. I would have been more permissive about the PJs with my kids, but my DD doesnt focus as well in school if she has not done a daily routine of getting ready for the day. When the kids were younger and nobody was school age, we were in PJs most of the time.

My mother is horrified that I/we do PJs all day. She thinks we are lazy!:tongue_smilie:

If my mother were still alive she'd be 88, and her generation's answer to the pj conundrum was to wear a housecoat. Anyone remember those silly things? A cotton frock that snapped or buttoned up the front and you'd wear it over your underwear (including a slip and nylons). She bought one for me when I was in high school, back in the 70s, and my friends and peers thought it was pretty funny.

But, I've got to tell you, reading this thread is sobering, not because of the pj issue, but good heavens, I'M THE SAME AGE AS MANY OF YOUR MOTHERS!!!! 51 next month.

My Mom is 65 and I don't mind having a pj day once a week or so but not everyday. My kids play differently at home when they have their pj's on, they are more settled in some way. If they are dressed, they want to go out...they get bored because they have to do something. The days that they have played the best where they will get all their toys out around the kitchen and living room and play for hours...they have their pj's on.

I on the other hand, have to be dressed.

But, I've got to tell you, reading this thread is sobering, not because of the pj issue, but good heavens, I'M THE SAME AGE AS MANY OF YOUR MOTHERS!!!! 51 next month.

When I wrote the poll, I was pretty surprised to realize that I needed to include an option for the respondent's mom being under 50. But obviously, the poll needed that option!

One of the things I like about this board is the range of ages we represent.

We don't own or wear PJs.

My boys were undies to bed in the summer and sweatpants to bed in the winter.

I do let them wear sweatpants all day at home if they wish.....does that mean we wear PJs?

My mom is 80.

Dawn

In our house we don't really have PJs. And if we do wear them it is around the house. Mind you they are always taken off before bed since we all sleep naked, unless it's cold. - since I can't always get my youngest to stay under a blanket.

I don't remember every having PJs as a kid. I do remember my Mom getting annoyed that I slept with underwear on since I was suppose to air out my privates at night. :confused:

My Mom is in the 50-59 category. I don't care what my kids wear when we are at home. This morning my three littles sat around in various states of undress: a pajama top, undies, and a bandana tied on his head pirate-style; pajama bottoms only; undies and a cape. They could have stayed that way all day if we didn't have anywhere to go.

As it is, it's afternoon and I'm still in my gym clothes. I'll go take a shower during the boys' quiet time.

I do remember my Mom getting annoyed that I slept with underwear on since I was suppose to air out my privates at night. :confused:

:lol: I remember being taught this during the time in 5th grade when girls were separated from boys and given "the talk." Hilarious!

My mom's in her 60's. It's rare that my children are in pajamas all day long, but it does happen, and when it does, it's rarer that I do anything to interfere with it. I seem to remember it being the same growing up -- it wasn't often that we stayed in pjs, but unless we had to go somewhere, it wasn't a hill my mom was going to climb, much less die on.

My mother is 70+ and I remember many days on the weekends or in the summer where I'd wear pajamas all day as a child. :tongue_smilie: My mother never herself wore pajamas all day, but that's because she doesn't own any. ;)

In our family we usually don't wear pajamas all day because we have to leave the house virtually every day, and getting dressed (supposedly including shoes, although that part often gets 'forgotten') is part of the morning routine. I hate getting kids dressed to go out (or hunt for shoes) at the last minute. Although there have been some times it has happened, it is not general practice.

My mother is 80 and will still make comments about her housecoat, which she wears more and more often these days as her health isn't great.

She has asked me several times if I need a new housecoat for Christmas! :lol:

Nope, don't even own a nightgown or PJs, so certainly don't need a housecoat.

(we wear sweats to bed)

Dawn

If my mother were still alive she'd be 88, and her generation's answer to the pj conundrum was to wear a housecoat. Anyone remember those silly things? A cotton frock that snapped or buttoned up the front and you'd wear it over your underwear (including a slip and nylons). She bought one for me when I was in high school, back in the 70s, and my friends and peers thought it was pretty funny.