Menu

Reading Strands, Great Books and Jacob's Ladder

wendzu

• 2 years later...

We are doing Jacob's Ladder. It is relatively quick. I read the story, and the kids go through the ladder questions and fill out the ladder.Then each kid reads over each question. Critique each other (say two things we like, one thing they can improve on) and then we discuss further. 

How many kiddos do you have and would you be using it with?  I got both Jacob's Ladder and Jr. Great Books for DD5 and while Jacob's Ladder is really easy to adapt to just the two of us talking, the Great Books would really be better done with more kids.  FWIW, we do the Jacob's Ladder orally at this point, and it has really helped her comprehension.  I like JL alot.  However, adapting the Great Books has been difficult (though at her level most is already oral) because there is quite a bit of "talk with your neighbor/friend/other classmates" and evaluating their thoughts and questions.  I think that is wonderful, but if you only have one like I do, it doesn't quite work.

Junior Great Books, or Great Books Academy? 

I thoroughly enjoyed what we did with Junior Great Books, and hope to re-incorporate it for A. next year (4th grade) and use it with N. when he hits K.  This year both funds and time were tighter, and it got triaged. 

(I have a William & Mary gifted language arts unit, and they recommend Jr. Great Books along with MCT materials and Wordly Wise.  That's what convinced me to try the Jr. Great Books.  I worked with the teacher manual and student workbook, but did not do any training.  This misses the Official Point, though.)