Menu

In the Car Curriculum

I have a carschooling playlist. My SIL was a little surprised when she picked up my ipod (she's considering getting one for her daughter), and discovered that DD's playlist includes Cambridge Latin, lots of American history songs and stories, Suzuki recorder, Lyrical Life Science, Spanish For Children and bible verse memorization songs :)

If you have a radio, you can get a transmitter that lets your iPod play through the radio. You just need to find a blank or low-strength spot on the FM dial. I use this in DH's car and in some rental cars.

One of the nice things about the transmitter is that you can give your DC the iPod in the back seat and let THEM change the playlist/songs when they complain that they've heard this one 10x already. Can't do that with a dock!

I have loaded SOTW vol 1 and all of the Classical Conversations CDs for this year onto my iPod, I plan to plug it in and play it on any car rides I can!

Do you think that the Classical Conversations CDs would have any benefit to families who were not involved with the CC program? I'm intrigued.

Right now we're just doing They Might Be Giants Meet the ABC's in the car, and lots of toddler songs during mealtimes at the house.

When the kiddo gets older we'll probably do some geography songs (inspired this blog post and my recollection to this day of all 50 states in order from song we learned in 4th grade) and skip counting songs.

Right now we're just doing They Might Be Giants Meet the ABC's in the car, and lots of toddler songs during mealtimes at the house.

When the kiddo gets older we'll probably do some geography songs (inspired this blog post and my recollection to this day of all 50 states in order from song we learned in 4th grade) and skip counting songs.

Wow! I haven't seen those ones before. Thank you for sharing.

If you have a radio, you can get a transmitter that lets your iPod play through the radio. You just need to find a blank or low-strength spot on the FM dial. I use this in DH's car and in some rental cars.

One of the nice things about the transmitter is that you can give your DC the iPod in the back seat and let THEM change the playlist/songs when they complain that they've heard this one 10x already. Can't do that with a dock!

Here's the one I bought, although I use my cell phone with it (for sirius, pandora, etc.) and my phone weighs it down and it falls out of the lighter jack. It's also a micro USP charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-Charger-Remote-Iphone-Ipod/dp/B0035R8TV2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311873498&sr=8-2

There's also an adapter that if you have a cassette deck in your car :blushing: it has a special cassette on one end and a plug for the ipod/phone on the other end. Then you turn on the ipod/phone to play and on the car stereo, switch to the cassette function as though you were listening to some old Doobie Brothers. lol

I like Kara Shallenberg's recordings for LibriVox. She has several children's fiction and non-fiction books available, including HE Marshall's Our Island Story and This Country of Ours, Samuel Harding's The Story of the Middle Ages, and other titles I've seen on Ambleside Online lists and elsewhere. See the link above for a complete list and links to the download page (you can also subscribe to LibriVox recordings in iTunes as a podcast).

I have loaded SOTW vol 1 and all of the Classical Conversations CDs for this year onto my iPod, I plan to plug it in and play it on any car rides I can!

:iagree:

I have a carschooling playlist. My SIL was a little surprised when she picked up my ipod (she's considering getting one for her daughter), and discovered that DD's playlist includes Cambridge Latin, lots of American history songs and stories, Suzuki recorder, Lyrical Life Science, Spanish For Children and bible verse memorization songs :)

:iagree:

This helped to justify my purchasing an iPod in the first place. I have it LOADED UP w/ school stuff. It's been such a blessing. A true God-send.

You guys are making me wish I could plug in my Ipod to my car! Unfortunately for me, it's my husband's turn to get the new car. His is so old that you have to roll down the window and open the door from the outside because the handle is broken. :)

The transmitters will do the job, but they aren't perfect by a long shot, especially if you are in an area with lots of radio stations, or if you're on the road. No need for a new car, though! You can get an mp3-ready car stereo from Crutchfield for about $100. They give very specific instructions for installing it in your particular car, along with all the adapter/accessories you would need. My dh has done it a bunch of times; we are Crutchfield fans. The chat guys there are good at steering you to the right model for your needs. Mine has an ipod input and a general aux input (for other mp3 brands or portable CD players or whatever). And dmmetler, I also have a huge long extension cord for the aux (thank you eBay!), so even kids in the third row in the back can be "le super deejaay", as we call it. (It's a French thing...)

We love the audio version of History of US. The reader is really great. We found it was cheapest via a subscription to audible.com - I got one a month until I had the whole set. Other favorites include music in French, and a ton of amazing science and math songs I found a while back on the internet (some guy had a great site; I can't remember where). Tom Glazer and Dottie Evans did a whole series of science songs back in the LP days; I found these free too though a quick google doesn't reveal the source - sorry! The vocab program we use, Vocabulary Workshop, has free audio downloads to go with their workbooks. The Animaniacs have some good stuff, and of course there is Schoolhouse Rock. We also love podcasts and iTunes U stuff; Grammar Girl is fun and there are many, many more.

We use the LfC/SfC chants, Cambridge Latin audio recordings, Hey Andrew vocabulary, and various song CDs in different languages in the car, but it's not 100% audio instruction, only a supplement. They do sell the "learn a language in your car" CDs, but my experience is that those tend to be focused on learning phrases for business travel, and I'm not sure my 6 yr old needs to be able to say "I have a proposal for your attention" in Spanish!

• 4 weeks later...
I just read this entire thread and now want to go spend a lot of money! Where to start?????

It depends on the age! :) We just finished SOTW #1, and #2 is coming any day now.

P.S. We also just checked out "Mr. Bach Comes to Call" from the library, and that was only so-so. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Here is how I plan to make Afterschooling work for my first grader this fall once school ?

Love your list! We use SOTW (listening to vol. 3 now), Song School Latin, and have just discovered Mondo Math for multiplication songs. We usually have an audio book going too.

I hadn't thought of using the FLL audio before, what a great idea!

We walk to school, so we aren't in the car that much during the school year, so we also listen in the kitchen. The boys have an iPod dock in their room and they have been known to turn on SOTW while playing legos!

When car shopping last winter, my number one priority was the IPod connection, mostly for SOTW!

• 1 month later...

Hello again! I'm reviving this old thread because this is super cool, especially if you have kids in the Logic Stage. Here's a link to several free podcasts called Father Daughter Philosophy Talks done by a Stanford Professor and his daughter. (I had emailed him to share my SLE inspired reading list.)

So far, my son and I have listened to the Intro to Aristotle talk and we both really enjoyed it. I made a big point of mentioning to my son that even though the father was the one with the Ph.D., the daughter showed over and over again that she was just a strong a thinker. That really helped "sell" this to my six year old. :) The other good thing about the podcast was that the father's voice put my two year old straight to sleep, which made the car trip a lot better.

So, check them out. I'd love to hear what other people think.

Thanks for reviving this thread! Some great ideas.

FairytaleMama, I don't know if you ever got an answer to your question, but we do foreign language in the car: Michel Thomas Method. It is great, but requires someone to be "in charge" because you have to hit pause and play very often! We find it a great use of otherwise "dead" time.

We have also recently discovered Horrible History audiobooks, and have been listening to one of them.

I've been looking through iTunes podcasts and there are squillions of them. I've subscribed to a bunch to prelisten and see how suitable they are.

Bye

Min