Menu

Does WWS teach style?????

can you give examples of Style? WWS has copia exercises. You manipulate sentences, words for better or worse effect.

"The copia exercises in Writing With Skill ask students to rephrase, recast, and reword assigned sentences. The practice of copia forces students to use variety and encourages them to be alert to the patterns of sentences. Copia exercises were a staple of grammar-school education in Erasmus’s day; they trained students to be “resourceful in language†and served as a basis for all future literary education.â€2"

can you give examples of Style? WWS has copia exercises. You manipulate sentences, words for better or worse effect.

"The copia exercises in Writing With Skill ask students to rephrase, recast, and reword assigned sentences. The practice of copia forces students to use variety and encourages them to be alert to the patterns of sentences. Copia exercises were a staple of grammar-school education in Erasmus’s day; they trained students to be “resourceful in language†and served as a basis for all future literary education.â€2"

I guess I just meant, will it (WWS) teach them how to make their writing interesting and polished? I've heard IEW is good at teaching kids how to "dress up" their writing. For some reason, it just intimidates me and it's a lot of money. I'm really looking for some reassurance from anyone who used it (beta tested it) that it's as good as IEW.....or hopefully...better! and that I don't have to worry.......:)

I guess I just meant, will it (WWS) teach them how to make their writing interesting and polished? I've heard IEW is good at teaching kids how to "dress up" their writing. For some reason, it just intimidates me and it's a lot of money. I'm really looking for some reassurance from anyone who used it (beta tested it) that it's as good as IEW.....or hopefully...better! and that I don't have to worry.......:)

The IEW theme based books cover the same things, but as much less expensive.

My girls did a lot of copia exercise in Classical Writing and providing variety in their writing is definitely an area they know. I would give WWS a chance all on its own. Once you are into it and you see it isn't helping then you can look at supplementing. I would prefer to have copia exercises to a program that teaches more scripted embellishments.