Menu

Scholarship Thank You Note Questions . . .

My son received a scholarship from a local business.

It isn't a big scholarship, but because he's in community college, it is enough to pay for tuition, books, and even some gas money for this year. We are incredibly grateful.

I'd like for him to write a thank you note to the organization for this generous gift. Has anyone ever done this before? We have some questions:

1. What kind of information, besides "thanks" should be included?
  2. Should it be on nice writing paper (like linen resume paper) or in a note card?
  3. Should it be completely handwritten, or can it be typed with a handwritten signature?

I'm completely clueless. Thanks for any help and/or opinions!

I don't have oodles of experience, but I had my guy do a handwritten card expressing thanks/gratitude last year. His scholarship was renewed for this year (outside scholarship - not via his college). I doubt the renewal had anything to do with the thank you card, but the card does just what it's supposed to - conveys our heartfelt thanks. He's writing another thank you card this week. ;)

Ds has received an outside scholarship through the CS department from his university. It was intended for a rural CS student from our state. The CS department requires that he write a thank-you note by a certain date (he would write one anyway :)).

He thanked his donor graciously, and told him a little bit about himself such as where he lives and what he plans to do with his degree. He won it again this year, so he will continue in that train of thought. Since he got accepted to the grad school at his uni he'll mention that, too. I think the donors appreciate getting to know who the student is as a real person and their goals.

FWIW, he wrote the note on a quality thank-you card we got at Staples.

HTH,

GardenMom

Ds got a letter from his academic department yesterday saying he got a scholarship, and instructing him to write a thank-you letter in response to it. The letter recommended the following site:

http://www.my-thank-you-site.com/scholarship-thank-you-letter.html

A quick Google search yielded many other sites, including this one:

http://www.csufresno.edu/scholarships/faq/thankyouletter.shtml

HTH,

GardenMom

Well, he hand wrote a letter on some ecru linen paper.

I think it looks nice, you know, after a few very rough drafts. :lol: We probably should have spent a little more time on handwriting and less time on typing. :001_huh: I'll have to keep that in mind with my grandchildren. :D