Menu

HELP! I need a menu for b-day dinner tonight!

Oh gosh, please help me think of a good birthday dinner to make for my adult friend and her family. They are coming over this evening and I have no idea what to make for them. They are Caucasian American (I am not), so I think that's why I'm having such a problem figuring out a meal.

They don't eat fish or drink alcohol, and dislike mushrooms or other "unusual" vegetables. The family consists of her, her husband, a picky 12yo dd and a 3yo ds.

I'm thinking I need an appetizer or munchie set out, maybe a main course and side. I have brownies planned for the dessert.

Suggestions please?

Oh gosh, please help me think of a good birthday dinner to make for my adult friend and her family. They are coming over this evening and I have no idea what to make for them. They are Caucasian American (I am not), so I think that's why I'm having such a problem figuring out a meal.

They don't eat fish or drink alcohol, and dislike mushrooms or other "unusual" vegetables. The family consists of her, her husband, a picky 12yo dd and a 3yo ds.

I'm thinking I need an appetizer or munchie set out, maybe a main course and side. I have brownies planned for the dessert.

Suggestions please?

Baked ziti? I use leftover pasta sauce and sprinkle the top w/mozz & parm. If you want, you could saute sausage or ground beef and add it to the sauce.

For an app, you could use a good bread w/dipping oil.

HTH

:tongue_smilie: I've never heard it said "Caucasian American" and for some reason, that gives me the giggles. Now I've got the NOFX song "Don't Call Me White" running through my head LOL.

I'm not Caucasian American, nor am I a meat-eater. I cook veg*n for any guests we have because I won't allow meat prepared or cooked in my house. The only exception would be my husband's grill outside. When his friends come over, they like to grill meat. Chicken is a safe bet, especially for picky eaters and kids. Most kids like peanut butter, too, so a peanut sate ayam would be good! You could use a tiny bit to marinade the chicken, then leave the rest on the side as a dipping sauce in case anyone ends up not liking it. This is our go-to for when my Caucasian American husband's friends come over; it's almost always a big hit, even with the picky eaters.

Are you Asian? My peanut sauce recipe uses Asian ingredients, which you probably already have in the pantry; if you're not or if you don't cook Asian, there are tons of Western-style peanut sauce recipes on the internet, too. On the side, serve white rice and some steamed veggies (broccoli, carrot, peas, bell peppers). Again, good choices for pickier eaters and kids. If nothing else, they can eat rice and a veggie.Maybe chop up some red cabbage, saute with minced garlic and add a few red pepper flakes - for the more adventurous eaters present.

For appetizers or munchies, I'd go super easy. Chopped fruit, chopped raw veggies, and a few dip options. Cheese and meat tray. Run and grab items that are filling enough to satiate a young picky eater through the night, but aren't so heavy that they'll replace the meal entirely.

Brownies sound yummy. Million dollar question: are you a nuts-in or no-nuts brownie baker? :D

Thanks for the suggestions!

Grilled shiskabobs with white rice and a veggie sounds perfect :)

Heading to the store right now.

I like brownies both ways, but for her, we're making them without since I think they are a non-nuts family.