Menu

Beginning Couponing how-to

So, I've never thought that savvy couponing would ever be my thing. I'm very brand specific/loyal to a lot of things, so I wouldn't buy something I don't use just because there is a coupon for it. We have spent the majority of this year getting any and all boxed foods out of the house and eating only whole foods in their natural states, so coupons for boxed juices and cereal and yogurt and the like wouldn't help me out. So I never thought it would be my thing.

My dad, on the other hand, is not a snob like me. He's not brand specific. He buys whatever soap, toothpaste, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc is on sale. And he's on a limited/disability income. He was doing well at the beginning of the year... but then my brother dropped out of college and came back home. and didn't get a job :glare: So my dad is now struggling with food money and bills and the like. SO, if I could figure out the "extreme" couponing for the essential toiletry non-grocery items, I feel like I could help him out A LOT. Any advice for starting? Where do you find the combining deals? how do you learn to "work" cvs and walgreens? I know it can be done, I just don't know how to start.

Edited by ~Amanda~

I like GrocerySmarts dot com. It's pretty easy to use and matches the weekly ads with the coupons you get in the mail, etc. It's state by state and free.

I haven't figured out the CVS/Walgreens thing yet but I think you combine their weekly ads, coupons, and club specials.

Good luck!

Find a blog to follow.

I highly suggest a couple.

- hip2save.com

- wildforwags.com

Also you want to get the newspaper EVERY Sunday. In order to see what inserts will be in the paper and what coupons visit.

www.sundaycouponpreview.com

This will help you decide on how many papers to purchase. I get 2 almost every Sunday and sometimes I grab 4 or more. Depending on the coupons. Remember coupons usually have an expiration date that stretches UP to 2-6 months! So just because you don't need to shop this week, you want those savings in the future so buy your newspaper every Sunday.

You also want to make sure that you visit your store's website and PRINT off their coupon policy in case you run into any iffy clerks or managers. All websites but maybe a SMALL handful don't have their policies online. Most do.

You want to make your shopping list FROM the sales ads. Also know that Walmart price matches ALL ads! So you don't have to go to 3 different stores to get the deals! Unless you have a store that doubles coupons (this is something you want to look up on hip2save.com so she can explain simply and I don't confuse you.)

Also internet printable coupons are used and accepted at most stores, you'll want to check coupon policies to make sure.

The best place to find internet printable are blogs that show the deals. But also a few websites.

- printablecouponsanddeals.com

- coupons.com (You can input different zip codes and it won't say that location and brings up different coupons for different regions. Top ones to try are your own, 12345 & 90210.

- redplum.com

- smartsource.com

Also you want to pick up a subscription or the magazine of All You at your local Walmart. This magazine is loaded with ALOT of coupons every month!

Have any questions just ask :) Good luck!

Another website to check out is hip2save.com. She has tutorials on how to do Walgreens, etc. I also like freebies2deals.com.

Check to see if any stores in your area 'price match.' This is a way I am able to save dramatically on my produce, especially. Walmart price matches and I go shopping with my ads from the other grocery stores. I just have to tell the clerk, green peppers are 50 cents at Smiths, and she enters that price. Seriously, it is amazing how much I can save and it involves no coupons. Price matching plus coupons is the ticket to really saving. My couponing is nothing like the show, Extreme Couponing, because I never walk out with carts worth $500 for only $5.

The best way to build a supply is to find a store having a sale and then use a coupon on top of that. For example, a few weeks ago, Smiths had Colgate toothpaste on sale for 99 cents, regularly over $2. I had a 75 cents off coupon--making the toothpaste 24 cents. This is where it gets difficult if you are brand-loyal, but it seems the brands kind of cycle through the sales, so it's still possible to save money on the brands you want.

True Couponing is the site I'm learning to use right now. I've used the Grocery Game for years, but TC is free so I'm trying it out for a few months. My first CVS shop with it went great.

Try to buy the newspaper in your area that has the largest circulation; the coupons are usually better. I get multiple copies each week.

Whatever site you use, couponing takes time & practice, so hang in there. You can do it. :001_smile:

Others have given you good places to start, but I just want to say that as you start helping your dad you might be surprised. One of my IRL friends has a daughter with a severe peanut allergy so she has to be brand specific. She's still able to save a ton of money by using coupons.

I really like SouthernSavers.com because she has a good down-to-earth approach about couponing (much like Colin at Hip2Save). Jenny focuses on non-crazy couponing, gives lots of information and video how-to's, and creates less blog traffic for me on my reader.

I really like SouthernSavers.com because she has a good down-to-earth approach about couponing (much like Colin at Hip2Save). Jenny focuses on non-crazy couponing, gives lots of information and video how-to's, and creates less blog traffic for me on my reader.

Thank you for posting SouthernSavers.com. I just found this because of this thread!