Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Julieofsardis

Need advice about community service.

My dd is going on a mission trip. She has worked all summer to earn her way. Does the time she put into earning the money count as community service hours?

I don't think that it would count as community service. Still, when including a description of the mission trip on a college application/essay, I wouldn't fail to mention that she worked to pay for it herself. That's impressive and counts for something!

I consider community service to be uncompensated, so I would not consider it volunteer work since she earned money.

:iagree:

I appreciate the responses. I just believe that she should be recognized in some way for making this effort. I do agree I could mention it in the application. So, if you participated in fund raising for a service event, how do you count that?

So, if you participated in fund raising for a service event, how do you count that?

It is service if the participant or the participant's club/organization is not benefitting financially from the fund raiser. It is not service if they are benefitting financially.

So, for ex, my child is a member of the drama club and they put on a play that meets an established community need. Admission is charged and the proceeds go to the drama club. Two students volunteer to usher. One is a member of the club...he cannot count his hours as service. One is not a member of the club..he can count his hours as service.

Your child cannot count raising her own money as service because she is the beneficiary. Service means others are the beneficiary. Also, if she is receiving academic credit or she is paid, she cannot clalim service hours from a fundraiser.

Your child cannot count raising her own money as service because she is the beneficiary. Service means others are the beneficiary. Also, if she is receiving academic credit or she is paid, she cannot clalim service hours from a fundraiser.

My son is starting college this year and this was basically the explaination for how to count community service hours on his application.