Menu

Nurse just called me. I was diagnosed hypothyroid. What does that mean?

Hi, not sure how much I can help, but I can tell you about my experience with hypothyroidism.

My TSH level was at 25.3 last September. The Dr. put me on 50 mcg of Synthroid and by May of this year my TSH had dropped to 2.86. I questioned the fact that it had dropped so much on such a low dose, but they assured me that it is correct.

When my TSH was so high, I was extremely tired, put on weight without changing my diet, it affected the texture of my hair and made me look tired and washed out. Now that my TSH level is within normal range, I have energy that I haven't had in a long time (I was so tired and sluggish that housework and yardwork was very hard for me). My husband could see an improvement after about 3 months and couldn't believe the improvement (probably because I wasn't going to bed at 8:00 anymore):glare:.

Dr. has told me that I will have to take this medicine the rest of my life, but it is soo worth it at this point in my life!

Julie

I would get a second opinion from an endocrinologist first.

Your body isn't producing enough thyroid hormone but there are many reasons for this. It is a symptom of some other condition. So, what is that condition? That is what I would like to know (although the symptom has to be treated).

Edited by LG Gone Wild

I would look at the various options. There are synthetic T4 and T3 replacements, and natural dessicated (porcine) thyroid. There is some good information at thyroid.about.com. (I rather enoy StopTheThyroidMadness, but there are some seriously angry people there, most rightfully so, but still.)

Some people remain symptomatic regardless of their dose on T4 only and have to add T3. Some people have reported difficulty with natural thyroid.

My personal preference is natural thyroid. It's been in use since the 19th century (or that just night be when Armour got into the picture) and, quite frankly, I am not a fan of replacing one isolated and synthetically duplicated hormone out of the many the thyroid makes.

I would look at the various options. There are synthetic T4 and T3 replacements, and natural dessicated (porcine) thyroid. There is some good information at thyroid.about.com. (I rather enoy StopTheThyroidMadness, but there are some seriously angry people there, most rightfully so, but still.)

Some people remain symptomatic regardless of their dose on T4 only and have to add T3. Some people have reported difficulty with natural thyroid.

My personal preference is natural thyroid. It's been in use since the 19th century (or that just night be when Armour got into the picture) and, quite frankly, I am not a fan of replacing one isolated and synthetically duplicated hormone out of the many the thyroid makes.

Is natural thyroid found in herbs or medication? I will check out that site. I'm really surprised by this dx.

Your body isn't producing enough thyroid hormone but there are many reasons for this. It is a symptom of some other condition. So, what is that condition? That is what I would like to know (although the symptom has to be treated).

I have never been to an endocrinologist, even though I have pcos, suffered from infertility and horrible pms, and do have hormone imbalances. No doctor has ever suggested it, and this naturopath was the first to even test me.

Hi, not sure how much I can help, but I can tell you about my experience with hypothyroidism.

My TSH level was at 25.3 last September. The Dr. put me on 50 mcg of Synthroid and by May of this year my TSH had dropped to 2.86. I questioned the fact that it had dropped so much on such a low dose, but they assured me that it is correct.

When my TSH was so high, I was extremely tired, put on weight without changing my diet, it affected the texture of my hair and made me look tired and washed out. Now that my TSH level is within normal range, I have energy that I haven't had in a long time (I was so tired and sluggish that housework and yardwork was very hard for me). My husband could see an improvement after about 3 months and couldn't believe the improvement (probably because I wasn't going to bed at 8:00 anymore):glare:.

Dr. has told me that I will have to take this medicine the rest of my life, but it is soo worth it at this point in my life!

Julie

I'm glad you are feeling better. I was looking over the symptoms and I do have them. None of my other doctors have ever tested for this from what I can recall.

My naturopath will talk to me next week at my appointment. I did google it, but don't really understand it yet. She wants to put me on meds.

Anyone here diagnosed with this and can educate me?

I would trust a naturopath in thyroid issue way more than an endocrinologist (BTDT and have a partially dead thyroid as a result). So many doctors are clueless when it comes to truly treating thyroid which is so unfortunate because it isn't rocket science.

Hypothyroid means that your thyroid is not producing enough hormone for your body to function properly. They thyroid affects MANY areas of your body.

There can be multiple causes of hypothyroid. Sometimes it is just because your body is not getting the nutrients it needs to produce the hormone (iodine is a major nutrient in this). Sometimes it is because your body has turned against itself (autoimmune issue).

Some people do just fine on T4 replacement only. However, there are some who cannot convert T4 (inactive thyroid) to T3 (active hormone). So definitely do your research.

I'm glad you are feeling better. I was looking over the symptoms and I do have them. None of my other doctors have ever tested for this from what I can recall.

Or they tested and didn't go deeper than test results. Diagnosis needs to be on test results and on patient symptoms. There is also the possibility that test results will be "normal" but your body is thyroid-resistant.

A book well worth reading is "Overcoming Thyroid Disorders" by David Brownstein.

Is natural thyroid found in herbs or medication? I will check out that site. I'm really surprised by this dx.

Thyroid is not found in most supplements but there are things such as iodine that have a huge impact on thyroid production.

Based on your symptoms a thyroid diagnosis makes a lot of sense.

No, it's prescription. Well, Armour is. You can buy Naturthroid (bovine, I believe) from Amazon and I know people who feel they are not getting adequate treatment through their physician (or being summarily dismissed) have used it, but it's less potent. By the time you get yourself to a therapeutic dose, buying Armour from a (licensed) mail order pharmacy is much less expensive. (Like $30-40 for 100 tablets of your daily dose, last time I looked.)

A compounding pharmacy can also make dessicated thyroid tablets to order.

The bolded surprises me. Most people I've heard from have had to fight for testing to prove they're hypothyroid. At the very least, they've not been surprised since they had symptoms that strongly suggested it.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I have never been to an endocrinologist, even though I have pcos, suffered from infertility and horrible pms, and do have hormone imbalances. No doctor has ever suggested it, and this naturopath was the first to even test me.

Endocrinologists treat thyroid problems. You don't have to marry one :tongue_smilie:, just go and some lab work done (again) for one and a consult.

I was immediately shucked off to an endo when I my gp discovered a heart murmur.

Endocrinologists treat thyroid problems. You don't have to marry one :tongue_smilie:, just go and some lab work done (again) for one and a consult.

I was immediately shucked off to an endo when I my gp discovered a heart murmur.

Do you have any problem with your thyroid?

Or they tested and didn't go deeper than test results. Diagnosis needs to be on test results and on patient symptoms. There is also the possibility that test results will be "normal" but your body is thyroid-resistant.

A book well worth reading is "Overcoming Thyroid Disorders" by David Brownstein.

Thanks! I'll see if my library has that book. They may have tested for it and felt that the results weren't high enough. I don't know. I do have the symptoms, but I'm not one to worry about little things. I just thought that was how I was wired.

I would trust a naturopath in thyroid issue way more than an endocrinologist (BTDT and have a partially dead thyroid as a result). So many doctors are clueless when it comes to truly treating thyroid which is so unfortunate because it isn't rocket science.

Hypothyroid means that your thyroid is not producing enough hormone for your body to function properly. They thyroid affects MANY areas of your body.

There can be multiple causes of hypothyroid. Sometimes it is just because your body is not getting the nutrients it needs to produce the hormone (iodine is a major nutrient in this). Sometimes it is because your body has turned against itself (autoimmune issue).

Some people do just fine on T4 replacement only. However, there are some who cannot convert T4 (inactive thyroid) to T3 (active hormone). So definitely do your research.

Thanks. I do like this naturopath. She does things differently than other doctors. She seems to get me and that is nice.

Thyroid is not found in most supplements but there are things such as iodine that have a huge impact on thyroid production.

Based on your symptoms a thyroid diagnosis makes a lot of sense.

That's what the nurse said, too. Still, no one else mentioned this based on my history. Kind of frustrating.

No, it's prescription. Well, Armour is. You can buy Naturthroid (bovine, I believe) from Amazon and I know people who feel they are not getting adequate treatment through their physician (or being summarily dismissed) have used it, but it's less potent. By the time you get yourself to a therapeutic dose, buying Armour from a (licensed) mail order pharmacy is much less expensive. (Like $30-40 for 100 tablets of your daily dose, last time I looked.)

A compounding pharmacy can also make dessicated thyroid tablets to order.

The bolded surprises me. Most people I've heard from have had to fight for testing to prove they're hypothyroid. At the very least, they've not been surprised since they had symptoms that strongly suggested it.

Well, I like to think I'm as healthy as a horse. I know I have some issues, but I just thought everyone was different. I thought that my basal temperature being low was just me. I thought that my tiredness was just that I was a low energy person. Things like that. I know that seems weird.

It does make sense, but I am surprised, because I see myself as healthy. I just put those things out of my mind and trudge along, you know?

I've heard of a bunch of women being misdiagnosed with PCOS who actually have thyroid problems and the other way.

My thyroid numbers are well within normal, yet I have tons of symptoms of Hashimoto's and Hypo.

I was dxed with pcos as a teen with ovarian cysts, then I had problems with infertility. It could be both working together against me. Have you had a more sensitive thyroid test?

Do you have any problem with your thyroid?

Yes, it was causing me to have heart problems among other things. I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease. I was hyper and now I am hypo (which is what you are).

I am taking Tirosint, now, which is a prescription. Thyroid meds can have unpleasant side effects so I would have extensive blood work done before I start taking thyroid meds.

Well, I like to think I'm as healthy as a horse. I know I have some issues, but I just thought everyone was different. I thought that my basal temperature being low was just me. I thought that my tiredness was just that I was a low energy person. Things like that. I know that seems weird.

It does make sense, but I am surprised, because I see myself as healthy. I just put those things out of my mind and trudge along, you know?

I have been tracking my basal temperature for 1-1/2 years and it has always been low (96.8 during the 1/2 half of my cycle) until I got my thyroid levels back where they need to be.

I have been tracking my basal temperature for 1-1/2 years and it has always been low (96.8 during the 1/2 half of my cycle) until I got my thyroid levels back where they need to be.

Is it normal now? Mine is about 97.2. If I have a fever of 99 - I am sick. Drs. didn't get that.

Yes, it was causing me to have heart problems among other things. I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease. I was hyper and now I am hypo (which is what you are).

I am taking Tirosint, now, which is a prescription. Thyroid meds can have unpleasant side effects so I would have extensive blood work done before I start taking thyroid meds.

Oh, thanks for telling me that. This is all so new to me.

What side effects have you heard about and with what meds?

Is it normal now? Mine is about 97.2. If I have a fever of 99 - I am sick. Drs. didn't get that.

My first 1/2 half temps are now around 97.5 and 2nd half around 98. I haven't had labs done since my temps jumped so I may have a little higher to go. But the dry skin on my hands and feet have all cleared up so I know my thyroid is getting back in range.

What side effects have you heard about and with what meds?

I have experienced the following:

Synthroid - mind blowing headaches, insomnia, shakes, weight loss

Levoxyl + Cytomel - precarious blood sugar crashes, unable to exercise, out of breath doing my normal stuff

Levoxyl - nothing too bad (at first) except it wasn't great and then I had problems with purity and subsequently went down hard with depression, hair loss, and whacked out menstrual cycles

Tirosint - so far, so good except with the hair loss thing and maybe a touch of insomnia

My lesson learned is no more generic meds and I won't even touch any meds that has any inkling of inconsistency.

Edited by LG Gone Wild
grammar stinks

Levoxyl + Cytomel - precarious blood sugar crashes, unable to exercise, out of breath doing

Levoxyl - nothing too bad (at first) except it wasn't great and then I had problems with purity and subsequently went down hard with depression, hair loss, and whacked out menstrual cycles

Tirosint - so far, so good except with the hair loss thing and maybe a touch of insomnia

My lesson learned is no more generic meds and I won't even touch any meds that had any inkling of inconsistency.

That's a huge bummer. I have had good success with Armour with steady levels (except when I went off it) and no side effects.

I was dxed with pcos as a teen with ovarian cysts, then I had problems with infertility. It could be both working together against me. Have you had a more sensitive thyroid test?

I've had the TSH, T4, and antibodies tests. All come back normal. Before my Dr started me on synthyroid, I showed her that the TSH, while still normal, was trending upward. The trend and symptoms were enough for her to try meds.

A friend of mine was dx PCOS since her teens, I think. She had a really hard time getting, and staying pregnant, and really struggled with weight. I'm not sure what happened, but a thyroid test was run and her levels were off like crazy. A number of months after starting meds she had lost 80 something lbs. It's probably more by now.

I've heard this same thing happening to others.

Levoxyl + Cytomel - precarious blood sugar crashes, unable to exercise, out of breath doing my normal stuff

My lesson learned is no more generic meds and I won't even touch any meds that has any inkling of inconsistency.

:iagree: I think it's important to realize you might have to try different medications to get the right fit. My doctor originally ordered synthroid for me and the pharmacy automatically filled my prescription with the generic levothyroxine. I did wonderfully on that but when I started reading about hypothyroidism, I kept seeing that you should always use the name brand, so I switched to synthroid. Within 2 days, I could not sleep. After a week of the synthroid, I had the worst insomnia I've ever had in my life. I switched back to the levothyroxine, but it took at least a month for me to be able to sleep again. I am so thankful the pharmacy originally gave me the generic, because if we had started with synthroid, I never would have continued with any medication at all and the levothyroxine changed my life.

Recently, my numbers were low again, so my doctor added a low dose of cytomel to my levothyroxine. Again, within a short amount of time, the insomnia began and I also started feeling very down, which is unusual for me. I had to stop the cytomel and for now on I am just sticking with what works for me -- levothyroxine.

Oh, and I was surprised by my diagnosis as well. I had no idea how low my energy level was until I saw how I changed on the medication. I was getting everything I needed to get done by pushing through, and being tired had become normal for me.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

at my yearly GYN visit a few months ago they did bloodwork and a few days later called to tell me that the thyroid levels came back "something" (don't remember too high or too low) but they wanted me to start taking a thyroid pill and to come back in 6 weeks to test again....took the meds and had another test last week--things were back to normal but I'm still having to take the pills-they will retest at each yrly visit.....

My diagnosis surprised me, too. I found out through a yearly screening my husband's company provides for employees and spouses.

I was tired all the time, but I had young children.

I had brittle nails, but I live in a dry climate.

Natural thyroid, usually Armour, is pig thyroid. Yes, it sounds gross. It's the oldest medication, but for many people, it works best because it is the only medication that addresses both T3 and T4 (and also T1 and T2). (I can't take it, because I happen to have an intolerance to pork. I'm on Synthroid.)

My favorite book about Hypothyroidism is 'Living Well with Hypothyroidism' by Mary J. Shomon.

Edited by Maus
to correct information

Oh, two more things.

One, the medication is considered to be a lifetime thing.

Two, the guidelines for what normal levels are have changed, and some labs haven't switched. It used to be 0.5 - 5.5. The new standards say 0.3 - 3.0. A recent British study suggests it should really be 0.3 - 2.0.