Menu

Please tell me about Roku... I have questions...

I understand that Roku is a device that enables streaming to your television. I think I understand that certain channels are available, including Netflix, Hulu, and others. First question: Does this include network programming (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN, etc.) and/or premium programming (HBO, Starz, etc.) or only certain programs from those networks/premium channels?

I know you have to subscribe to Netflix in order to stream movies and other programs from them. Second question: Assuming that you have to pay for a subscription to each channel, how much would I be paying for each of them? Are any channels available for free?

Third question: Are there package deals available, such as the bundles that DirecTV offers its customers (Family Pack, Starz Package, etc.)?

I think I (vaguely) remember hearing something about saving programs in a playlist on the Roku. Fourth question: Does that mean that the Roku acts like a DVR so that you can download movies or programs and save them to watch later? If so, how many hours of programming can the Roku save?

Final question: What other features are there that I don't know enough to ask about?

Edited by ereks mom

We use ours to stream Netflix and we download tv/movies from Amazon.

It is not a DVR.

So are the Amazon movies & programs you download from Amazon stored on the Roku until you watch them (like a DVR), or do you watch as soon as they download and then they are automatically deleted (like PayPerView), or do you stream the content and watch as it streams (like Netflix)?

Does it work the same with Hulu and other services?

Edited by ereks mom

You have to subscribe to each channel. We only have NetFlix right now ($8), we may add Hulu Plus ($4). There are free channels as well. They are not amazing, but they have a few educational things on them. There are a couple of free movie stations, one that plays old tv shows (Dick Van Dyke Show is one), and one that plays old educational videos (quite entertaining sometimes;))

I don't think there is a bundle.

I do think it is worth it! We love our Roku!

So are the Amazon movies & programs you download from Amazon stored on the Roku stored on the device until you watch them (like a DVR), or do you watch as soon as they download and then they are automatically deleted (like PayPerView), or do you stream the content and watch as it streams (like Netflix)?

I have Apple TV, which works very much like Roku (which I'm considering for another room) I downloaded a movie last night and it took almost 3 hours to finally download! There was definitely no instant watching like Netflix. I've been doing some research and it has nothing to do with my cable connection. Downloading movies just seems to take hours. I also have 30 days to watch it from the time it's downloaded and I believe I can only watch it one time. I'm not going to bother getting movies this way again.

I'm not sure if Roku has the same downloading issues but you might want to check, especially if that's an important feature for you. If you do find out, let us know. :D

Ok, since I asked all of these questins before and I now have a Roku, let me try to answer them.

We bought Roku boxes.

We subscribed to HuluPlu ($8/mo)

We subscribed to Netflix ($8/mo)

If I want to watch something, the easiest method is to go to HuluPlus.com or Netflix.com on my COMPUTER to search for shows/movies/documentaries and put them in my Queue. When I go to my Roku box and click on "Netflix" for example, it gives me the option of finding my Queue and choosing from those items I have saved there.

All of the above is STREAMING to my box via a cable modem. It is NOT storing it in the Roku box.

You can pause, rewind, fast forward, etc....but you are doing it through the modem via internet, not through a DVR like saving box with a hard drive.

MOST of what you watch today will be available on HuluPlus tomorrow. However, some shows are NOT on there and many only stay on there for a week or two and then drop off. Some shows have all the seasons ever made on there all the time. It just depends what you like. I personally love a lot of CBS shows like CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds, that sort of thing.....they are only available for 2 weeks after air dates, so if I don't remember to watch, I can't see them.

Dawn

If you are considering Apple vs. Roku just be aware that Apple does not stream HuluPlus and I don't think they stream Amazon Prime either, but I could be wrong about Amazon.

Also, the Roku comes in a 1080p quality vs the highest quality with Apple being 780p. This wasn't an issue for me at all, but DH seemed to think it was a big deal.

The HuluPlus was a dealbreaker for me though. I wanted that capability.

Dawn

I have Apple TV, which works very much like Roku (which I'm considering for another room) I downloaded a movie last night and it took almost 3 hours to finally download! There was definitely no instant watching like Netflix. I've been doing some research and it has nothing to do with my cable connection. Downloading movies just seems to take hours. I also have 30 days to watch it from the time it's downloaded and I believe I can only watch it one time. I'm not going to bother getting movies this way again.

I'm not sure if Roku has the same downloading issues but you might want to check, especially if that's an important feature for you. If you do find out, let us know. :D

I understand that Roku is a device that enables streaming to your television. I think I understand that certain channels are available, including Netflix, Hulu, and others. First question: Does this include network programming (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN, etc.) and/or premium programming (HBO, Starz, etc.) or only certain programs from those networks/premium channels?

It does not include any local/cable channels and you can't watch shows from the internet

I know you have to subscribe to Netflix in order to stream movies and other programs from them. Second question: Assuming that you have to pay for a subscription to each channel, how much would I be paying for each of them? Are any channels available for free?

Lots of free channels and a lot you have to pay extra for -- Netflix streaming is $8 per month, Hulu is free, Hulu plus you have to pay for, Amazon you have to pay for, Pandora is free, LOTS more channels

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

Third question: Are there package deals available, such as the bundles that DirecTV offers its customers (Family Pack, Starz Package, etc.)?

No Package deals that I know about

I think I (vaguely) remember hearing something about saving programs in a playlist on the Roku. Fourth question: Does that mean that the Roku acts like a DVR so that you can download movies or programs and save them to watch later? If so, how many hours of programming can the Roku save?

As far as I know, you can't save any programs on the Roku

Final question: What other features are there that I don't know enough to ask about?

You have to buy a separate Roku player for each TV

It looks like your ?s were already answered. I'll tell you what we watch:

Netflix (8.00/Mo)

MLB package (which we purchased for 99.00) We get all games except for local blackouts. Our 2 teams are not local, so that works for us:)

NBC nightly news (not streaming, but replay) (FREE)

60 minutes excerpts (free)

CNN International (which is way better than CNN or Foxnews, nobody yells at eachother) (FREE)

BBC (FREE)

RTE (Irleand's news) (FREE)

Korean tv shows (FREE)

Pandora Radio (free) I have that on almost all day.

Youtube (free)

NCAA basketball tournament (FREE)

We had amazon prime for a month for free. That was nice, but I don't feel like paying for it right now. If I watched more TV shows, I'd get hulu plus, but I really don't feel the need right now. I can still watch hulu on my laptop. I don't watch as much TV as I used to.

You can look through all their channels to see what you want to add. Some are free, and some aren't. I LOVE roku. We have 2 boxes.

Are there any other, better options out there for streaming movies and/or older series to your TV? Via internet or otherwise?

What would give you the most options for your buck? When I hear "internet ready TVS" what exactly does that mean?

Ok, I'll try to talk you through it. We have a Roku box, and we pay for netflix and hulu plus. We also subscribe to other free channels like news channels, the NASA channel, some classic channels that play things like old tv shows, a channel that is just TED talks, a weather channel, and wow,as I'm typing this I see my hubby has added a free Food Network Nigthtime channel. Cool. Anyway.... So, when I sit down to watch TV the main menu on the screen has all those channels. I pick what I want to watch. Earlier I wanted to watch the Daily Show. So I clicked on Hulu, which took me to the Hulu Plus app. Then I could either browse what is popular, search for a show using the on screen keyboard and my remote, browse by category, or go to shows that are in my queue. If I've previously added the Daily show to my queue, and I have, I can click on it and it will automatically give me the most recent episode that i haven't watched. If I didn't have it in my queue I would use the search feature on the screen to find it. Then I click on it and watch it, instantly. If instead, I had wanted to watch a movie, or say, old episodes of the Cosby show, I would go to the Roku main menu, then click on Netflix. I can use the search feature on there to find the Cosby show and watch it. If I stop it before it is over, it remembers, and next time will pick up right where I left off.

I hope this helps!

How do you get BBC and CNN to stream to your Roku?

Dawn

It looks like your ?s were already answered. I'll tell you what we watch:

Netflix (8.00/Mo)

MLB package (which we purchased for 99.00) We get all games except for local blackouts. Our 2 teams are not local, so that works for us:)

NBC nightly news (not streaming, but replay) (FREE)

60 minutes excerpts (free)

CNN International (which is way better than CNN or Foxnews, nobody yells at eachother) (FREE)

BBC (FREE)

RTE (Irleand's news) (FREE)

Korean tv shows (FREE)

Pandora Radio (free) I have that on almost all day.

Youtube (free)

NCAA basketball tournament (FREE)

We had amazon prime for a month for free. That was nice, but I don't feel like paying for it right now. If I watched more TV shows, I'd get hulu plus, but I really don't feel the need right now. I can still watch hulu on my laptop. I don't watch as much TV as I used to.

You can look through all their channels to see what you want to add. Some are free, and some aren't. I LOVE roku. We have 2 boxes.

On the Roku main menu there is something called the channel store. You just click on that and you can browse all the available channels. Some are free, some are not. Just choose what you want, then the channel will show up on the main menu.

How do you get BBC and CNN to stream to your Roku?

Dawn

Go to thenowhereman.com/roku (says my DH who is explaining this to me)

there are lots of CNN shows replayed on Roku newscaster, but we added CNNIntenational and BBC streaming channels through nowhere man. that is also where we watch NCAA tournament. We were able to watch the last debate on CNN International

there are lots of CNN shows replayed on Roku newscaster, but we added CNNIntenational and BBC streaming channels through nowhere man. that is also where we watch NCAA tournament. We were able to watch the last debate on CNN International

Thanks. I just added the channel. I never knew we could use our Roku for all those other channels. I've only used a few.

So are the Amazon movies & programs you download from Amazon stored on the Roku stored on the device until you watch them (like a DVR), or do you watch as soon as they download and then they are automatically deleted (like PayPerView), or do you stream the content and watch as it streams (like Netflix)?

Just bought our first two downloads from Amazon, so I know this one! It does not download permanently to your Roku (which doesn't really store things locally), but once you pay for an episode of something, it's available to watch on streaming again indefinitely (at least that's what the Amazon site said).

Nowhereman is a private channel. There are a number of private channels, which just means they weren't developed by Roku. They're perfectly legal though. You go to your Roku account on the computer and enter the code, then the channel shows up on your channel list. Here's a list of private channels. There are actually several lists out there if you do a search for Roku private channels.

ETA: Just like with official Roku channels, some private channels are free and some are subscription based.

You have to buy a separate Roku player for each TV

So if you have 2 Roku boxes, you can still use only one Netflix account or Hulu Plus account, right? If so, does it matter if you tune the boxes to different programs at the same time? In case that doesn't make sense: could ds, for example, use our Netflix account to stream an episode of The Office in one room while, at the same time, dh uses the same Netflix account to stream an episode of Criminal Minds? (That might actually be more of a Netflix question than a Roku question, huh?)

So if you have 2 Roku boxes, you can still use only one Netflix account or Hulu Plus account, right? If so, does it matter if you tune the boxes to different programs at the same time? In case that doesn't make sense: could ds, for example, use our Netflix account to stream an episode of The Office in one room while, at the same time, dh uses the same Netflix account to stream an episode of Criminal Minds? (That might actually be more of a Netflix question than a Roku question, huh?)

We've streamed two different shows at the same time. It's not a problem. We don't have two Roku boxes. We have Xbox Live gold in another room, plus we have 4 iPod touches and one iphone in the house.

wow, I've never heard of Roku. This looks really cool. I have a question...on that private channel link that someone posted, there is a section for adult channels. Is there any kind of privacy settings for Roku? With cable I can block channels, and set a code so no one can get into the menu to unblock channels. Is there a similar thing for Roku?

Yes, we use one netflix account and one amazon account (though we never rent anything there) for both ROKUs. And we can stream them and anything on my laptop at the same time. My only complaint about ROKU is that sometimes I have to unplug it once or twice to get it to come up. If it doesn't show the correct time, then I have to unplug it and start over. Other than that, we love it.

Streaming IS the future of TV. I've actually boxed up most of my DVDs and will probably sell them after we move. I'm not missing them at all. Less clutter for someone who despises clutter. I'm that way w/ CD's now to. Once I get a way to play my shuffle in the van, I'll be done w/ CD's:auto::D

If you buy a movie/tv series from amazon.com it is stored on your Roku.

If you rent a movie from amazon.com it usually will expire in 24 or 48 hours.

another question - if you had roku but no cable or local tv, is there a way to watch live football games? I see that NFL network is on hulu, but dh said it's not live on hulu.

I'm a HUGE football fan. My DH said that we can only get MLB and NBA packages (i think.) We can watch a lot of college games on ESPN online on my laptop, so that is helpful there. I think you can also get ESPN live through Xbox. We saw a lot of NFL games through veetle. The quality varried, but it was free which we love.

I know people who do this.

For us, we just don't have an extra computer laying around.

Dawn

So I've been looking at this all day, and I'm wondering if Roku is the way to go or not....if we get some kind of wire, dh says we can hook the computer directly to the tv. So wouldn't that serve the same purpose? Or can you only get all those channels with the Roku box?

So I've been looking at this all day, and I'm wondering if Roku is the way to go or not....if we get some kind of wire, dh says we can hook the computer directly to the tv. So wouldn't that serve the same purpose? Or can you only get all those channels with the Roku box?

If you can do that, it is a good option as well. You won't get all the same stuff, but it is still a lot of free or almost free (netflix) TV.

My computer says this on ustvnow.com:

Thanks for visiting USTVNow Beta

We love TV! Our dream is to have all the TV in the world available instantly to everyone, wherever they are.

But for the time being, our service is only available for those of you that are traveling overseas or reside abroad and have no other way to watch TV from the US.

If you are traveling outside the continental U.S.A. our service is available to all Americans or those who would normally be able to watch US cable, satellite or broadcast TV. Below you are able to pre-register for the service and already schedule the programs you want to record*. As soon as you are abroad you will be able to watch the shows you recorded or watch live from home TV.

In the U.S.A we’re not able to offer our service to you until your local cable or satellite provider becomes an USTVNow TV Anywhere partner. We’re really sorry about this, but it takes time to get every TV and broadband provider on board. You can help by giving them a call and asking when USTVNow TV Anywhere will be available to you.

See note below if you are accessing this site from an overseas military base or embassy**

Do you live overseas?

Well my DH just added USTVnow to our player. It is streaming local channels for free.

My computer says this on ustvnow.com:

Thanks for visiting USTVNow Beta

We love TV! Our dream is to have all the TV in the world available instantly to everyone, wherever they are.

But for the time being, our service is only available for those of you that are traveling overseas or reside abroad and have no other way to watch TV from the US.

If you are traveling outside the continental U.S.A. our service is available to all Americans or those who would normally be able to watch US cable, satellite or broadcast TV. Below you are able to pre-register for the service and already schedule the programs you want to record*. As soon as you are abroad you will be able to watch the shows you recorded or watch live from home TV.

In the U.S.A we’re not able to offer our service to you until your local cable or satellite provider becomes an USTVNow TV Anywhere partner. We’re really sorry about this, but it takes time to get every TV and broadband provider on board. You can help by giving them a call and asking when USTVNow TV Anywhere will be available to you.

See note below if you are accessing this site from an overseas military base or embassy**

Do you live overseas?

No, and my DH didn't get that on the website. Roku endorses the channel. i'm not sure why you are getting different info??? My guess is it is the bolded part. We also get ESPN3 online (Not roku), but we have friends that don't, because they get internet through a cable company that blocks that.

How very odd. That popped up BEFORE I entered any of my information.

I will still test it out.

Dawn

No, and my DH didn't get that on the website. Roku endorses the channel. i'm not sure why you are getting different info??? My guess is it is the bolded part. We also get ESPN3 online (Not roku), but we have friends that don't, because they get internet through a cable company that blocks that.

I went back to the site to see if I could download it anyway.

Nope, won't even let me on the right page.

Dawn

The FOX channel is from Harrisbrug, PA. We live in VA, so that is a bit funny. I'm not sure where the other stations are from.