Menu

I hate being poor.

My DD needs to have a couple of teeth extracted. Her crappy, "poor people" dental insurance is sending us 45 minutes away to get it done at SmileCare (think: GhettoCare). HORRIBLE reputation, particularly this office.

I have no other choice. We can't afford to get it done somewhere closer (and reputable) because we can't afford it. There are so many excellent dentists and oral surgeons with 5 miles of our house. But we have to drive almost an hour to receive what will likely be sub-par care.

Even her regular dental office (the one that "doesn't do extractions, sorry") is... just okay. Nice dentist, but there was obvious dust and dirt on the window sills and it all just felt shabby.

I miss our Real dentist. Highly skilled, great personality, everything was very clean and his staff were totally on the ball. His services didn't come cheap but it was totally 100% worth it. Then he moved :( and we lost our Good Insurance (even worse).

I welcome thoughts, prayers, advice... whatever. Or just tissues. Because I think I'm going to cry. :(

I'm sorry. :grouphug:

We had a similar incident with my son and needing a medical procedure. It was awful and I am so thankful it went well. (very scary.)

We have terrible dental insurance, as well. Appointment this Thursday with yet another dentist and I am just dreading it. I grew up with the most incredible dentist in CA. :(

:sad:Sorry. We haven't had dental insurance for years. This was an issue moreso when the kids were younger. I would take the kids in only every three years or so to have their teeth cleaned, and would have the kids practice "My mother says no x-rays, please!" to save money. Can you look for reviews of the place you are scheduled to go to online? Or do you know of anyone else who has been there? Then at least you know you are going somewhere adequate, and you could be there with her. At least there are places like that available, even if it is an hour drive! We drove three hours to have my son's wisdom teeth pulled...

Is that like CoolSmiles? I know the one near me has a good reputation. Is there another one further away? Might be worth the drive. We sort of live in the boonies, anway, so we often have to travel. At any rate, I would travel for a good dental experience. Maybe the same chain further away has a good reputation?

My DD needs to have a couple of teeth extracted. Her crappy, "poor people" dental insurance is sending us 45 minutes away to get it done at SmileCare (think: GhettoCare). HORRIBLE reputation, particularly this office.

I have no other choice. We can't afford to get it done somewhere closer (and reputable) because we can't afford it. There are so many excellent dentists and oral surgeons with 5 miles of our house. But we have to drive almost an hour to receive what will likely be sub-par care.

Even her regular dental office (the one that "doesn't do extractions, sorry") is... just okay. Nice dentist, but there was obvious dust and dirt on the window sills and it all just felt shabby.

I miss our Real dentist. Highly skilled, great personality, everything was very clean and his staff were totally on the ball. His services didn't come cheap but it was totally 100% worth it. Then he moved :( and we lost our Good Insurance (even worse).

I welcome thoughts, prayers, advice... whatever. Or just tissues. Because I think I'm going to cry. :(

I understand and I've been there. :grouphug:

How long would it take to save up the money for the care? I don't have dental insurance so I totally get how high it is. I'd try to wait and even make payments to someone who is going to do a proper job.

This is a good idea. The entire procedure shouldn't be over $600-700, possibly less. It's not likely we could afford it before next February (tax return), but it might be worth it to wait.

The problem is that she is losing baby teeth, has new teeth coming in, so her extra tooth is causing the other teeth to come in crooked.

The other extra tooth is kind of on the edge of her hard and soft palette, behind her regular teeth. So, it's weird, but not causing any problems at the moment. DD actually likes that tooth and wants to keep it, because she says it's creative and unique.:001_smile:

Another idea (I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner) is to call DH and see how much it would be to put her on his work's dental plan. But, I'll have to make sure we'd really get a better selection of dentists.

:sad:Sorry. We haven't had dental insurance for years. This was an issue moreso when the kids were younger. I would take the kids in only every three years or so to have their teeth cleaned, and would have the kids practice "My mother says no x-rays, please!" to save money. Can you look for reviews of the place you are scheduled to go to online? Or do you know of anyone else who has been there? Then at least you know you are going somewhere adequate, and you could be there with her. At least there are places like that available, even if it is an hour drive! We drove three hours to have my son's wisdom teeth pulled...

I now refuse x-rays for health reasons, and I am having a difficult time finding a dentist who will see ds.

Another idea (I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner) is to call DH and see how much it would be to put her on his work's dental plan. But, I'll have to make sure we'd really get a better selection of dentists.

That an find out if it actually covers anything. My dh has a dental plan through work, but it doesn't seem to cover anything. I think it covered cleaning, but the one dentist on the plan would refuse to do cleaning unless you'd pay for other stuff. I just gave up. I don't go to the dentist and I save up to take kids once a year to a fantastic pediatric dentist, who has certifications with special needs kids.

AAARRRGGGHHHH! It just keeps getting worse! So, after going round and round with the folks at SmileCare for the last couple of days (they said I needed to have a certain type of referral faxed to them) I finally got the right referral faxed and they said that they don't accept my insurance. DD has HealthNet Dental. They accept HealthNet dental, but not HealthNet through the state's Healthy Families program.

WHAT?

So, now I don't know what to do. The insurance company swore up and down that SmileCare was the *only* authorized oral surgeon in their network, now SmileCare is saying no.

Off to call the insurance company. Again. :tongue_smilie:

(no kilts, please, but a funny cat pic would be nice right about now. just sayin'....)

This is a good idea. The entire procedure shouldn't be over $600-700, possibly less. It's not likely we could afford it before next February (tax return), but it might be worth it to wait.

The problem is that she is losing baby teeth, has new teeth coming in, so her extra tooth is causing the other teeth to come in crooked.

The other extra tooth is kind of on the edge of her hard and soft palette, behind her regular teeth. So, it's weird, but not causing any problems at the moment. DD actually likes that tooth and wants to keep it, because she says it's creative and unique.:001_smile:

Why can't you change your withholding so the money is in your hands sooner? Bump up your deductions until you have the cash and then adjust so you pay enough taxes before the end of the year.

I now refuse x-rays for health reasons, and I am having a difficult time finding a dentist who will see ds.

I can understand both sides of the stalemate. Without x-rays, the dentist cannot detect cavities. Without repairs made to cavities, additional oral mayhem occurs.

Yet I understand your side, too !

fwiw, if there aren't any complicating factors, extractions are really one of the easiest things to get done - it doesn't take a super-talented dentist, kwim?

Maybe it's because of the weird location of her extras? I have no idea.

ANYWAY... feeling much better. We've escaped the slimy clutches of Smile Care since they refused us (sooo sad. ha) and have a new referral to an oral surgeon who appears to be much, much better. Still have to drive almost an hour. But, it could be so much worse.

I feel so relieved.

Why can't you change your withholding so the money is in your hands sooner? Bump up your deductions until you have the cash and then adjust so you pay enough taxes before the end of the year.

The tax refund she is speaking of is most likely money that her family never pays in, so adjusting withholding won't get her anymore money in her paycheck.

I understand from a cost standpoint. But, your kids could have major tooth issues and if there are not Xrays, they won't catch them.

They are just as crucial as teeth cleanings, if not more.

I worked in dental offices for years and remember kids coming in with abcesses and untreated cavities that ended up needing crowns and extractions. That will cost money over time.

I would look to new dental clinics in the area that offer specials. One just opened here and have free Xrays with a visit.

Big hugs to you. We didn't have any dental insurance for 16 months. The boys have their first appointment in 2 weeks. I'm just terrified. We don't have great insurance. I don't even want to think about that dumb tooth that's been bugging me for a few weeks. Ugh.

You have my thoughts for an uneventful visit to the dentist. Stop and get some ice cream on the way home.

We just went through something very similar with ds needing his two front teeth extracted and it only ended up costing around $250 total with laughing gas. I asked for a discount for doing 2 teeth at once and paying cash (they gave me 10%) and for a new patient discount ($25 off).

I'm glad you can go to someone better, but if you have to pay cash be sure to ask about discounts for paying up front. I've been doing it for years now and have yet to be refused by any doctor or dentist.

We too lost our good insurance. We have too many children to pay out of pocket and the dentist we are sent to is literally in a ghetto, right across the street from a housing project where there have been drive by shootings, murders, lots of drug dealers (this has all been reported in the paper, I'm not speculating). There's nowhere nearby to part so we have to park a few blocks away and walk through the nasty neighborhood just to get to the office. I hate it.

If you get EITC, it is my understanding that you can get it earlier. If you want, I'll research it later and see what I can find.

:( This was repealed:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96515,00.html

Advance EITC or AEITC News: The Education Jobs and Medicaid Assistance Act of 2010 signed into law August 10, 2010 repealed the Advance EITC. After December 31, 2010, workers can not receive Advance EITC in their paychecks.