Menu

What do YOU use after Lials BCM?

I just received this in the mail and I like what I see. So what comes next?

ETA: Also, at what point in math study did you start your dc in this? I am curious when I should start dd4th in this. Is this the year before pre-algebra? I would like to spread this out between 2 years and it looks more than possible to. Is 5th-6th to young? Is this considered a pre-algebra year? I just got it and need to look at it better, but I would also like ideas from the more experienced! Thanks

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I used it for a review of arithmetic before starting Jacobs Algebra (which we will begin in the fall). I used it with an accelerated third grader but I didn't have him actually look at the book as it is formatted for adult sensibilities--very crowded text. We did everything on a whiteboard.

I used it for a review of arithmetic before starting Jacobs Algebra (which we will begin in the fall). I used it with an accelerated third grader but I didn't have him actually look at the book as it is formatted for adult sensibilities--very crowded text. We did everything on a whiteboard.

Do you think an average child could go straight to Algebra with that? Or is Jacobs Algebra a light intro to Algebra similar to a Pre-Algebra course?

Do you think an average child could go straight to Algebra with that? Or is Jacobs Algebra a light intro to Algebra similar to a Pre-Algebra course?

Jacobs is a thorough first year algebra course, but the material in the first five chapters are typically covered in a prealgebra course. My older son went straight into Jacobs from MUS Zeta with no problems (and had no problems with Algbera II, in fact, he knew most of what was in Lial's Intermediate Algebra from Jacobs).

Jacobs is a thorough first year algebra course, but the material in the first five chapters are typically covered in a prealgebra course. My older son went straight into Jacobs from MUS Zeta with no problems (and had no problems with Algbera II, in fact, he knew most of what was in Lial's Intermediate Algebra from Jacobs).

Does Jacobs have good, clear explanation of concepts, like Lials does?

I found it to be exceptionally clear, but it is also very different from Lial's in that much of the instruction is in the problem sets themselves. I wrote a review of Jacobs which explains this: http://atreehouseeducation.wordpress.com/2010/08/20/favorite-resources-elementary-algebra-by-harold-jacobs/

Jacobs is frequently recommended for kids who start algebra very early. I was fortunate to be able to get a copy from the library before committing several years ago when I used it with my older son. If you can, it would be good to look at the two books side by side. Also, back when I was deciding, I did several problem sets in Jacobs and when I didn't want to stop, I knew it was the book for us.

My dd did Jacobs Algebra and then went to public high school. They made her take the end of year exam for algebra in order to get credit for it and she did well on it. When I asked her about what was on that exam, it didn't even have things that she covered in Jacobs such as the quadratic equation. So, yes, it's a regular algebra book.

I was trying to find inexpensive copies of Jacobs Algebra but came up empty. Looks like the cheapest is around $70. Is the late 1970s book the version most are using? I only found a 1979 version on Amazon and Alibris.

Amazon has used copies starting at around $44 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0716710471/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310492646&sr=1-1&condition=used

With an older dc, I would do it in one year, then the student could go straight into algebra. For example, my dd did through Singapore 5A, which she finished at the end of 7th grade. So, for 8th, and because her skills were a little lacking, I had her do BCM. She'll start Algebra this fall in 9th.

I think your plan of doing BCM in 5th-6th, then pre-algebra in 7th, is fine. That would put your dc in algebra in 8th grade. Of course, if your dc may be ready for algebra after BCM, too, which would start algebra in 7th grade. :001_smile:

Oh, and my dd is using Lial's for Algebra 1 and 2. The first text is called Intoductory Algebra, and it is in the same series as BCM, so has the same features as BCM.

Edited by LanaTron
italics, not quotes for the title of a book

Oh, and my dd is using Lial's for Algebra 1 and 2. The first text is called Intoductory Algebra, and it is in the same series as BCM, so has the same features as BCM.

We are using Lial's for Algebra 1 also (after using Lial's BCM for preAlgebra). We pick Lial's because the layout is similar to BCM, which my dd was already familiar with using. My dd is the kind who actually gets more of her work done when someone other than me is teaching ... so .. we are using a tutor. This tutor has been tutoring math for 20 years but wasn't familiar with this book. However, she says she likes it and may consider it for other students in the future. Dd is at about chapter 4 and all is well so far. hths

Edited by Kathie in VA