Menu

If you realize you're addicted to sugar...

what is the best way to get it under control? Cold turkey? Or cut back?

I start craving it after lunch. I don't binge. I have half a cookie... then an hour later, a square of dark chocolate... then a cup of tea with a bit of sugar and maybe a second square... a little something sweet after supper... etc. Sometimes it's more than this, sometimes less. I think I'm dependent on it for energy to make it through the second half of the day.

I don't like that my body starts telling me I NEED sugar, even if it's not in huge amounts. I am about 5 lbs. heavier than I'd like. Not in shape. Needing to build muscle tone. And I just feel like this sugar thing is a hindrance. But I really, really don't want to give up my tea and chocolate. So, what do I do? Bite the bullet and jettison it all or cut back?

what is the best way to get it under control? Cold turkey? Or cut back?

I start craving it after lunch. I don't binge. I have half a cookie... then an hour later, a square of dark chocolate... then a cup of tea with a bit of sugar and maybe a second square... a little something sweet after supper... etc. Sometimes it's more than this, sometimes less. I think I'm dependent on it for energy to make it through the second half of the day.

I don't like that my body starts telling me I NEED sugar, even if it's not in huge amounts. I am about 5 lbs. heavier than I'd like. Not in shape. Needing to build muscle tone. And I just feel like this sugar thing is a hindrance. But I really, really don't want to give up my tea and chocolate. So, what do I do? Bite the bullet and jettison it all or cut back?

try brown rice syrup? I use it in a lot of things and I like it cause it's sweet but doesn't leave me feeling icky...otherwise I like grabbing fruit when I need something sweet and pretending its the best tasting candy in the world... :001_smile:

I don't recommend cold turkey though because that always had me pigging out whenever I caved and made thing worse...so maybe let yourself have a day a week for dessert?

Okay, so you people who are saying "cold turkey" -- do you EVER add sugar back in? When? Because I cannot imagine never having my 1/2 tsp. of sugar in my tea. There was a time I could have that and not be craving it. Is there any going back to sugar in moderation?

That's good on the carbs. I am pretty vigilant about making sure our carbs are whole grain, but I know some white flour sneaks in at times (crackers, muffins my daughter just made)... and I guess even whole grain carbs need to be a lower percentage of my diet.

We haven't had any fresh fruit for a few days (ran out and no time to get some) so that has made it harder. Just ate a big bowl of blueberries and the cravings are a bit less. But I'm jonesin' for sure.

Okay, so you people who are saying "cold turkey" -- do you EVER add sugar back in?

for myself personally, i don't think i'll ever be able to. it gets out of control very quickly. i allow myself birthday cake and ice cream on birthdays and maybe a dessert on holidays, but that's it. otherwise i'd be digging my size 22 pants out again. :001_huh:

Okay, so you people who are saying "cold turkey" -- do you EVER add sugar back in? When? Because I cannot imagine never having my 1/2 tsp. of sugar in my tea. There was a time I could have that and not be craving it. Is there any going back to sugar in moderation?

That's good on the carbs. I am pretty vigilant about making sure our carbs are whole grain, but I know some white flour sneaks in at times (crackers, muffins my daughter just made)... and I guess even whole grain carbs need to be a lower percentage of my diet.

We haven't had any fresh fruit for a few days (ran out and no time to get some) so that has made it harder. Just ate a big bowl of blueberries and the cravings are a bit less. But I'm jonesin' for sure.

Speaking on my *own* experience, I can't do even whole grains. Maybe after I've lost all the weight and my body has healed.

By the way, berries are a great low carb treat!

On a low carb diet, my body does not crave sweet, and I am usually quite satieted by the protein and high fat.

Look where you are now and what do you think the answer is?

Seriously, I don't know. I am not officially overweight (I'm a size 4... no one would look at me and think I have a sugar problem). But right now, I'm in bondage to needing it. It's like an alcoholic who doesn't ever get smashed but needs a little nip a few times a day, you know?

Are you saying you'd guess "no", I wouldn't be able to add it back in?

I am glucose intolerant. I have to face the fact that I will be avoiding sugar, and most carbs for the rest of my life. Some people can handle it, my body does not.

I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I am not overweight (like PP, I'm a size 4, BMI around 20-21) but can't handle carbs and sugar. I have several family members with metabolic syndrome.

I use stevia and sometimes erythritol. But I really think to get off of sugar, it is best to do it cold turkey at first and kill the cravings. Once you stop for 2 weeks or so, most people rarely find themselves craving it.

I think upping your consumption of fats and protein helps when you are coming off of sugar. Have you looked at things like a primal/paleo diet (mark's daily apple forum) or another lower carb type diet?

Gary Taubes' work is great if you want to understand the physiology.

I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I am not overweight (like PP, I'm a size 4, BMI around 20-21) but can't handle carbs and sugar. I have several family members with metabolic syndrome.

I use stevia and sometimes erythritol. But I really think to get off of sugar, it is best to do it cold turkey at first and kill the cravings. Once you stop for 2 weeks or so, most people rarely find themselves craving it.

I think upping your consumption of fats and protein helps when you are coming off of sugar. Have you looked at things like a primal/paleo diet (mark's daily apple forum) or another lower carb type diet?

I have PCOS, too. I am insulin resistant also, I just call it glucose intolerant. :001_smile:

No, I don't know anything about the diets you mentioned. I'll look into them. A low carb diet has really helped my dh, but that was back in Atkins days and it seemed crazy to me (all that meat). I'll google your recommendations.

Is honey bad for blood sugar?

I have PCOS, too. I am insulin resistant also, I just call it glucose intolerant. :001_smile:

Yeah, most people aren't really familiar with the term insulin resistant. I get blank stares or people assume I'm fully diabetic.

Gotta love PCOS ;) At least it clued me in about what I needed to do for my long-term health. Getting that diagnosis was helpful in that respect, and my parents (both have metabolic syndrome type issues) have done much better since switching over to a low carb WOE 3 years ago. I'm thankful that PCOS at least gave me the clues I needed to figure it out. That's about the only upside ;)

No, I don't know anything about the diets you mentioned. I'll look into them. A low carb diet has really helped my dh, but that was back in Atkins days and it seemed crazy to me (all that meat). I'll google your recommendations.

I am not much of a meat person, I eat a lot of nuts and cheese. Don't forget the veggies either. I eat a ton of veggies and don't worry about the carb in them since so much of it is fiber. I don't touch potatoes anymore and they were my favorite. I don't miss them, thankfully.

Edited by True Blue

nak-

If someone is sensitive to sugar, honey will still spike their blood sugar and cause a lot of insulin to be released. I personally can't tolerate honey.

You really might like Gary Taubes' work. He had an article a number of years ago called "What if it is all a Big Fat Lie" in the NYT (available if you google it) that he kind of built into his book Good Calories, Bad Calories (terrible name, great book backed with excellent science). He wrote simplified version of GCBC recently called Why We Get Fat.

A good starting point might be his recent NYT piece on Sugar: "Is Sugar Toxic?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html

If that opens the door for you, then I'd pick up his books. He also has some youtube segments.

I have a strong background in bio and physiology and I think he does a great job referencing his work. It is very science-heavy, but excellent IMO.

I would also recommend going cold turkey. I did it by following a strict low carb diet. Mostly followed Atkins. It was hard the first few days, but gradually you get to where you don't crave sugar and refined carbs.

I did allow myself an occasional treat by making things with Splenda. Even on Atkins though you are limited to a few teaspoons of artificial sweetner per day. Not sure on the exact amount they recommend.

You can also have strawberries and blueberries. I would use a little Splenda and make homemade whipped cream to go over the berries for a delicious dessert.

The other thing that helps with cravings is to eat some fat and protein. Things such as cheese wrapped in a slice of ham with maybe a few olives can help with sugar cravings.

I did eventually switch to a low calorie diet and allow myself foods that had sugar in them. I still use Splenda as much as possible though. I have found that I can't tolerate foods that are real sweet. I did low carb for almost a year. I can honestly say it changed the way I eat and the desire for certain foods. I can have one or two bites of cake, candy or ice cream, and I'm totally done with it. I just can't eat sweet things. And, I'm also very aware of the foods I eat that have sugar in them. I read labels because foods that have hidden sugar or too much sodium just don't taste good to me anymore.

If you revisit Atkins, you'll find that there is a much greater emphasis on vegetables. You will be getting carbs, but it will be in the form of lots of veggies. Yes, there's still lots of protein and fat as well, but it is a little different from the days of eating bacon, cheese, eggs, and mayo that people still tend to invision.

I don't have any problems with cravings coming back if I stick with a couple of squares of really dark (85 or 90% cocoa) dark chocolate a day. About once a week I make some kind of low carb dessert, usually with a stevia/erythritol blend. This is my favorite recipe site:

http://www.healthyindulgences.net/

I haven't had anything I've made from it not turn out well...and her molten chocolate cake is incredible.

Yes and stick your fingers in your ears and say "la la la" if you ever go to boards like Low Carb Friends. I don't want to totally dis that board, but there are some extreme suggestions on there that would lead one to believe that Atkins is all about bacon, cheese, and eggs. Seriously, that IS all some people eat and they claim that is all that works and how it works. It isn't. You can even do Atkins if you are a vegetarian.

Although my favorite "plan" isn't Atkins. I like Barry Groves. I think it is much simpler (no phases).

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Health-Weight-Barry-Groves/dp/1905140150/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310409236&sr=8-1

Yea, there are extreme types there. And those who approach low carb like a "fad" diet, or a short term way to lose a lot of weight.

However, there are also a lot of good, solid, experienced posters there who will jump in with a bit of healthy sanity.

I don't have any problems with cravings coming back if I stick with a couple of squares of really dark (85 or 90% cocoa) dark chocolate a day. About once a week I make some kind of low carb dessert, usually with a stevia/erythritol blend. This is my favorite recipe site:

http://www.healthyindulgences.net/

I haven't had anything I've made from it not turn out well...and her molten chocolate cake is incredible.

Another fan of her site :)

You could try sugar substitutes. Some people still have problems with them, but it's an option for some. I use Xylitol, Splenda, and Stevia. My favorite is Xylitol. Splenda is just a lot cheaper and easier to get. Stevia is an acquired taste.

I have always been afraid of sugar substitutes. I always think they probably all cause cancer! I've tried to do "real" sugar in moderation instead of "fake" stuff. Wrong thinking?

I have always been afraid of sugar substitutes. I always think they probably all cause cancer! I've tried to do "real" sugar in moderation instead of "fake" stuff. Wrong thinking?

I hate to say it again, but read Taubes. Yes, it is "wrong thinking" because for those who are addicted, it is a biophysical issue.

My struggle with Weight Watchers was a manifestation. I tried healthy eating, "moderation", as is typically supported. It was a mess because my *body* reacts poorly to diet styles that include grains, sugar, etc.

I had to go cold-turkey with a Paleo diet. I was able to go 30 days (the Whole30 challenge). It was tough, but moderation doesn't work for me. I have a little and then I have to have a lot, and constantly. It was actually easier to cut out *everything* (all added sugar, all grains, dairy, and legumes) for 30 days than to just cut out sugar. But I'm not a size 4 and I definitely eat more sugar than you. :)

I was off the paleo diet for the past month and have done terribly, so I'm back on as of today... Sigh.

I had to go cold-turkey with a Paleo diet. I was able to go 30 days (the Whole30 challenge). It was tough, but moderation doesn't work for me. I have a little and then I have to have a lot, and constantly. It was actually easier to cut out *everything* (all added sugar, all grains, dairy, and legumes) for 30 days than to just cut out sugar. But I'm not a size 4 and I definitely eat more sugar than you. :)

I was off the paleo diet for the past month and have done terribly, so I'm back on as of today... Sigh.

I'm doing a (slightly, tiny, eensy bit modified) Whole 30 now to see what was causing my stall on low carb.

I feel great! (I'm not weighing myself, so I don't know about results beyond feeling great!).

On a low carb diet, my body does not crave sweet, and I am usually quite satieted by the protein and high fat.

:iagree: We have definitely found this to be true. When we eat high fat we do not crave sweets. I had bacon and eggs for supper last night and cheese for breakfast and have not even touched the oreos today. :D

Yea, there are extreme types there. And those who approach low carb like a "fad" diet, or a short term way to lose a lot of weight.

However, there are also a lot of good, solid, experienced posters there who will jump in with a bit of healthy sanity.

LOL, I just posted that I ate bacon, eggs and cheese in the last 24 hours, but this isn't something that is a fad for me. We have been eating this way for a long time. When we don't we suffer. When we do we do great, have loads of energy and are happy.

I heard once that you shouldn't eat anything that your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize. I also heard that you shouldn't eat anything that you don't have to use a fork for. I have thought a lot about those two suggestions and have found they fit into our philosophy of eating quite nicely.

:iagree: I get a lot of help in the Recipe forum and there are some people who are very knowledgeable and helpful about the best oils and fats.

LOL, I just posted that I ate bacon, eggs and cheese in the last 24 hours, but this isn't something that is a fad for me. We have been eating this way for a long time. When we don't we suffer. When we do we do great, have loads of energy and are happy.

I heard once that you shouldn't eat anything that your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize. I also heard that you shouldn't eat anything that you don't have to use a fork for. I have thought a lot about those two suggestions and have found they fit into our philosophy of eating quite nicely.

I like the part about not eating what your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize (can't say that I stick to that ;)), but only eating foods that require a fork, would eliminate nuts.

Sugar is sugar. There is no such thing as good sugar. The sugar we put on our foods and in baked goods comes from a plant. We aren't talking that they scrape it off the side of a building. It's sugar. It has the same affect.

What one gets from fruit is some fiber. So a fruit is always better than a juice for that reason, but it is still sugar. And for a person with a sugar addiction, diabetes, pre-diabetes, etc. it is still like eating several candy bars throughout the day when looking at the sugar.

You may just not have a problem with sugar.

Exactly. Not everyone has a sugar/glucose problem. Those of us that do have to be careful. Juice is a definite no no for me.

When I stopped eating sugar I ate a small spoonful of butter each time I craved sugar. The fat really does help. So do fermented foods (live culture, not fermented then pasteurized.) When I'm not getting enough fat I start craving sugar; I've an alternative medical practitioner and I've found this to be true for almost all my clients as well.

The first 3-4 days are the hardest; day 3 seems especially difficult and many people relapse then. Knowing this can help you get through it.

Low carb is the answer for me! After my seventh baby I had 35+ pounds to lose. I had gestational diabetes, so I knew my body did well on a low carb diet. I lost the weight 2 years ago and have kept it off. The key is not craving sweets. There is no way to have enough will power to avoid eating those things when you are in the kitchen all.day.long!

My family cut grains from our diet back in January. Within 2 weeks, my sugar cravings had diminished substantially - I woke up one morning and no longer felt the need to have sugar in my coffee. It hasn't been a totally smooth road since - there are certain habits that have been hard to break, and I haven't eliminated it completely. But I can now look at a sugary treat that's freely available, choose to pass it up, and not feel deprived. It's so nice to be free of that addiction and feel that I have free choice over what I eat, even though I didn't realize before stopping that it was such an issue!