Menu

MP Kindergarten Review

Thanks for this! I hadn't looked at it yet, but it looks like it'd be perfect for DS2! The only problem is that a year from now when he starts K, he'll probably already be reading decently. :tongue_smilie: The TM by itself looks like it might be a good idea for me though. I could plug in our own math and phonics, right? I am horrible about memory work.

Another question... Is the scripture copywork only in the copybook? Or do they mention which scripture needs to be copied in the TM? I use Startwrite to make my own copywork with whatever font and line size we need.

The scripture copywork is only in the copybook. And I'll add that if you don't plan on using the phonics/math, I don't think you'd be happy with the lesson plans. That is really the meat of the program, and if you are just looking for memory work, I'd just buy the book Living Memory (which the memory work is based on) and pick appropriate topics from there.

The scripture copywork is only in the copybook. And I'll add that if you don't plan on using the phonics/math, I don't think you'd be happy with the lesson plans. That is really the meat of the program, and if you are just looking for memory work, I'd just buy the book Living Memory (which the memory work is based on) and pick appropriate topics from there.

I saw on the big MP K thread that people were using it this way though? They were using it just for the non-math/phonics stuff? I understand the math/phonics is most of the program, but there *is* other stuff there that I tend to forget and not get done. :tongue_smilie:A schedule saying "study this piece of art" or "listen to this piece of music" or "work on memorizing your address" or "do this craft activity" or "read this book out loud" is what I'm looking for. I need to be reminded to do all those things. I don't need reminding so much for basic phonics/reading and math. :)

Of course, I may just end up putting stuff like that together, but I tend to forget what I NEED to work on.

Well, there is one artwork scheduled each week and one song, which are not included and you have to track down yourself. There is also one picture book scheduled as a read-aloud each week (and you can get the booklist for free on their site). The science is nature study (and maybe one sentence telling you to talk about butterflies) and social studies is accomplished through the above picture book read-alouds.

There are something like 6 rows of work per week, and only 1 at the bottom is the supplemental, with all these are tacked into it on different days. It is very, very light, and could just as easily be done following Ambleside Online recommendations for free. I just know for me, this would not be worth $30, but maybe it would be for you? I was pretty disappointed with this part actually, but the front of the manual specifically says they are working on the 4Rs in K-2 and not much else.

I thought you were using FLL? That has about the same amount of memory work (minus the prayers) in terms of address, various poems, etc.

There are something like 6 rows of work per week, and only 1 at the bottom is the supplemental, with all these are tacked into it on different days. It is very, very light, and could just as easily be done following Ambleside Online recommendations for free.

Ok, thanks for pointing that out! :)

I thought you were using FLL? That has about the same amount of memory work (minus the prayers) in terms of address, various poems, etc.

We will use FLL1 that year probably. I had forgotten that it includes address and such. :tongue_smilie:

You see my own lack of memory is a common thread here? :lol:

Looking at other K options now... I really want something that helps me do K scheduled out for me, but lets me plug in my own phonics/math. I appreciate your input! You and I often have similar curriculum choices. :)

You see my own lack of memory is a common thread here? :lol:

Looking at other K options now... I really want something that helps me do K scheduled out for me, but lets me plug in my own phonics/math. I appreciate your input! You and I often have similar curriculum choices. :)

:lol:

I agree on the K curriculum, but I have yet to find something like that. I'm going to wait for AAR Level 1 to come out and see if that might work for us and then I think I'll just fold ds 2 into our science/history rotation. We do seem to have similar tastes :D.

I loved your review. I am in the home stretch of buying most of my MP K books used. I cannot wait to start! I am planning on moving all my kiddos over this year.

:lol:

I agree on the K curriculum, but I have yet to find something like that. I'm going to wait for AAR Level 1 to come out and see if that might work for us and then I think I'll just fold ds 2 into our science/history rotation. We do seem to have similar tastes :D.

I was going to just fold him in, but we'll be doing the modern era when he's in K-1st, plus he's the middle child and really could use some mom-only attention. So having a simple program to do just with him would be handy.

I was going to just fold him in, but we'll be doing the modern era when he's in K-1st, plus he's the middle child and really could use some mom-only attention. So having a simple program to do just with him would be handy.

Ah, yes, that could be difficult. As it is now, ds 2 should be in 2nd when we hit modern, but one of my goals this summer is to read SOTW 4 and see just how difficult I think it is and if I can add picture books to it. I was an American History major, so that should be good for something in working it out. If not, we may do an extended trip through Early American History and hit modern times harder the 2nd cycle.

Ah, yes, that could be difficult. As it is now, ds 2 should be in 2nd when we hit modern, but one of my goals this summer is to read SOTW 4 and see just how difficult I think it is and if I can add picture books to it. I was an American History major, so that should be good for something in working it out. If not, we may do an extended trip through Early American History and hit modern times harder the 2nd cycle.

DS1 is loving SOTW3 and 4 (he's reading through the whole series - addicted!), but DS2 is a bit slower in understanding language (speech delay), and I don't think he'd be ready for the content as written at that age. Of course, my opinion might change by then! He keeps making huge cognitive leaps that make us all go :001_huh:. I've also been reading more "old" books to help with the language acquisition. So we'll see. I have no clue if he understands what I read aloud at this point in time. :lol:

So I'd like to just have something I can sit down and read to him - picture books and such, not worrying about history yet. Or I might do American History with him (ALHW looks great). DS1 could handle two history programs at one time. He loves reading about history!

I think I've hijacked this thread, so maybe I should post a new one. :tongue_smilie:

I can't find that book, I'd like to look at it. Any leads?

Thank you so much for posting this. I am so glad I clicked on your link to read your review. In all the time I've spent researching kinder curriculum, I somehow never came across Memoria Press. After looking at it, it might be just what I'm looking for. So, thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...