Menu

Need opinions about K12's American history for grades 5 and 6

I am really struggling with what to do for American history next year. We used K12's History 4 (world history 1650-present) this past year and my son *loved* it. It was coherent and interesting. We didn't do any of the worksheets or other assignments--just read and did the assessments (I also assigned writing, just not the K12 assignments).

I have used Hakim's A History of US (the entire series) in the past. I found it wandered a bit too much for my taste. Does K12 do anything to help with this? For example, do they assign chapters out of order so that the thread of the narrative is better preserved?

Any insight you can give me about this course would be most appreciated!

My son really didn't like the 5th and 6th grade history.

K12 does do some of the Hakim books out of order (but I couldn't tell you what/how). There is a good bit on-line, and a good bit in the workpages. There seems to be a bit too much writing (IMO), comparing/contrasting, and higher order thinking that I think most children in that age range aren't ready for (or need to be pushed into doing... see WTM for more information, or SWB's writing lectures)

It is a complete departure from how the K-4 history works.

Essentially, it came across "dry as toast." He did it, but he has no love for US history afterwards (now, Greece/Rome is another story entirely).

We tried K12 American History and found it quite dry. Especially coming from a SL background. But as with everything, I am sure it is just a matter of learning style as K12 has many very happy committed users. In someways I wish it had worked for us as it sure is easy to teach :001_unsure:We have headed back to SL.

(As an aside, I have Grade 5 History Teacher and Student Guides which I am looking to sell in as new condition. If you are interested feel free to PM me. I have other K12 material as well which I will eventually get around to posting).