Menu

Looking for reviews on Word Voyage

hanki

HSBC is offering Word Voyage for $44.50, and it seems like something we have been looking for, but I cannot find any reviews. Everytime I search on here, it pulls up everything MCT. I was hoping to find out if it's worth the money and if your child(ren) enjoyed, retained, etc.

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

:lurk5:

I just "liked" them on facebook! Want to glean as much as I can before we buy but looks like people like us would end up being their reviewers. Word Voyage was founded in 2010 and product is too new for the reviews we are looking for. I believe we are going to go ahead and use it because I have yet to find a vocabulary course that will build in such a brilliant way. We used the Critial Thinking Company, Word Roots but it does not cover near as much fundamentals of language. I think the extra work WV put into their product will help the info to stick and make learning word roots/vocab fun. At least I am interested, maybe just for myself ;)

And they offer a 30 day trial.

Edited by Aimee2728

• 2 years later...
Guest nhmom2

This program has been a huge source of frustration for our family.  Teacher has to approve regular part of the lesson before you get to do the challenges, and then approve that before the next lesson.  This takes forever, and is dependent on the teacher's constant availability, which is not reasonable.  God forbid you are out sick for a while, you will never catch up.  Plus very tedious: my child knows most of the words already, but still has to look at them all six ways to Sunday.  I cannot recommend that anyone else adopt this program.  

• 1 year later...

nhmon2: I recommend trying the new version of Word Voyage. We use it and love it! You can turn off the Sentence Review step if you want to. However, I keep it on because I like to monitor how my kids are using the words. I also assign grammar tasks for the sentences. Word Voyage provides videos that teach the skills, and the sentence writing platform provides for a ton of practice. There's nothing like time on task! We have used other vocabulary and grammar programs but I like Word Voyage because of its emphasis on Latin roots and original sentence writing. The kids do about 15-20 minutes each weekday morning. Over a few months the growth has been very noticeable. 

• 6 years later...

Word Voyage has been hit or miss for my class this year. I like the activities the students are tasked with, but the words chosen leave a lot to be desired. There are often many difficult words that are not chosen by WV, so I end up having to make addition vocab lists. Meanwhile the words that are chosen are often easy words that the students already know.