Menu

liver recipe anyone?

A friend of mine freezes it and then dices it into little [i mean little] chunks and swallow like pills. Really good for you and you don't have to taste it. Now, I have never done this, and would only do it if I completely trusted the source of beef.

As for anything else, I have no idea. I do not like liver in the slightest. :tongue_smilie:

I am not a liver fan, but we ate it when I was at home.

Dredge it in seasoned flour and fry it lightly..over done liver gets dry.

Fry some sliced onions with it.

It is easier to slice if you only partially defrost it.

This is how my dad cooks it. But he uses an electric skillet and cooks it slow and long. Makes is taste less.....um.....rubbery. It was a staple in my house growing up.

FWIW, my brother just recently revealed that when he saw liver thawing on top of the freezer, he'd secretly slip it back inside. We'd inevitably have something else for dinner. Ha!

The recipe I have recommends soaking it in milk for 2-4 hours before cooking. Then coat lightly with well seasoned flour and cook w/bacon and onions. It recommends that you cook on high heat to get the outside nice and toasted and just barely warm in the center.

We'd like to get 1/2 cow in the not-too-distant future, and I'm wondering if they'll grind up the liver into the ground beef. If it's well dispersed I can't imagine it would be too noticable?

Yup...They hit the nail on the head :)

I like to chop up liver into real small pieces & put it in my steak & kidney pie. It makes the pie real rich, but a little goes a long way. (if I cook liver on its own, my boys tell me it tastes & smells like a cow's @ss :ack2:

Blessings,

I like it in chili. It thickens it some. and if you do little chunks it works well as a texture-replacement for beans if you're avoiding beans for whatever reason. The strong flavors of the chili make the liver flavor less noticeable.

I also use it in meatloaf, and to make pate/liverwurst.

(I LOVE liver in every context I've tried it except for liver and onions... and that's more about the onions than the liver. I spent my childhood thinking I didn't like liver, when that was really just that I'd been told liver was yucky.)

Even though I know that organ meats are good sources of particular nutrients, my favorite recipe for liver remains this one:

Pick up liver with tongs and place in the nearest wastebasket for quick disposal in the outgoing trash receptacle.

:) The less I eat, the more on the market for you all ! :)

Do you have a dog? (no, I'm being serious!)

Here's what I do:

Grind 1 lb of liver in a food processor until it's kind of like the consistency of oatmeal. Mix in an egg, 1/2 c. cornmeal, 3/4 c. whole wheat flour, 2 T. garlic powder. LIGHT ALL THE YANKEE CANDLES YOU HAVE IN THE HOUSE (really-- that's an important step! :D) Spread on a foil-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Allow to cool and use a pizza cutter to cut into chunks. Store in the fridge; freeze what you won't use in a week.

This is our ring bait for dog shows and the dogs LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

astrid (probably the only mom on this board whose dd spent four days last week/weekend with liver brownies tucked into her bra! -- two of her show suits dont' have pockets--)

Slice liver thinly, and fry until cooked. Throw in food processor, and process into a pate.

Add cocoa powder (to taste - approximately half as much by volume as the liver, but you're going to have to taste it and experiment - it varies too much depending on the type of liver, type of cocoa powder, and personal taste) and a splash of vanilla, and process some more. Add sweetener gradually to taste. If it is too thick, add milk (dairy or non, whatever your preference) a tiny bit a time until you get the consistency you like.

This could be used as is as a mousse/pudding like this. Leave out the milk and maybe add some extra cocoa, and you can roll it up into little truffle balls. If you add more liquid, it can be a chocolate milkshake. Stick it in an ice cream maker for ice cream.

The chocolate really covers the taste of the liver, and liver has a wonderful texture for this sort of thing.

Don't tell the haters that there's liver in it.

Edited by ocelotmom

Slice liver thinly, and fry until cooked. Throw in food processor, and process into a pate.

Add cocoa powder (to taste - approximately half as much by volume as the liver, but you're going to have to taste it and experiment - it varies too much depending on the type of liver, type of cocoa powder, and personal taste) and a splash of vanilla, and process some more. Add sweetener gradually to taste. If it is too thick, add milk (dairy or non, whatever your preference) a tiny bit a time until you get the consistency you like.

This could be used as is as a mousse/pudding like this. Leave out the milk and maybe add some extra cocoa, and you can roll it up into little truffle balls. If you add more liquid, it can be a chocolate milkshake. Stick it in an ice cream maker for ice cream.

The chocolate really covers the taste of the liver, and liver has a wonderful texture for this sort of thing.

Don't tell the haters that there's liver in it.

Hee! I like that! Reminds me of my pinto bean fudge recipe. :tongue_smilie: