Menu

Age and Cycles

We are leaving behind SL and entering into a real live four year cycle. ; )

I cannot decide where to start, although I have been assuming it would be YR 4 (in 6TH grade). Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and jump into YR 2, right along with the WTM plan, since we haven't studied that time period (or read that lit) either.

Do you guys really think that the best ages to read and study these texts are what Bauer suggests? I'm thinking that if we started with YR4 in 6th, he'd be reading the hard ancient texts in 11th & 12th. That sounds like it might be better.

On the other habd, in 12th he'd be reading political docs, which will be important to a young person about to go out into such a politicized world.

What do you all think?

(I can only check back infrequently, will have all answers emailed to me!)

If you started a 6th grader with Yr.2 (Middle Ages and Renaissance) then you could finish that cycle through 8th grade and then start Ancients again in 9th working to Modern History in 12th. That would be almost 2 times through the cycle. What's nice about doing Yr.2 with a 6th grader is that if you use a spine like SOTW 2, you can easily add in readers that may have been too hard for younger children. When we did it last year with my 5th grader, I added in many of the SL stories from Core G (6) as they went with our time period.

I probably have not read as much as many people here, but I do agree with SWB that even thought the ancient reading is more difficult, the content of modern works may be too much for a 9th grader.

If you started a 6th grader with Yr.2 (Middle Ages and Renaissance) then you could finish that cycle through 8th grade and then start Ancients again in 9th working to Modern History in 12th. That would be almost 2 times through the cycle. What's nice about doing Yr.2 with a 6th grader is that if you use a spine like SOTW 2' date=' you can easily add in readers that may have been too hard for younger children. When we did it last year with my 5th grader, I added in many of the SL stories from Core G (6) as they went with our time period.

I probably have not read as much as many people here, but I do agree with SWB that even thought the ancient reading is more difficult, the content of modern works may be too much for a 9th grader.[/quote']

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I completely agree with Blossom'sGirl. Her points are well made, and I could not have said it better myself.

Blessings,

Lucinda