Menu

We may have a new addition to our family ...

of the furry variety. We have been asked to foster a dog through the humane society where dd and I volunteer. We are so excited. We will be taking an 18 month old labradoodle home for a couple weeks. This is my pipedream breed. I have wanted a labradoodle (due to some mild allergy issues and the hair issues) but never thought we could afford one, nor would we ever find one to adopt. So, if all works out well, we may end up adopting her/him. Even ds17, who was adamantly opposed to us getting a dog a couple years ago, seems happy about the idea.

So, even though we have been reading and studying dog ownership for the last 2 years, I am alternating between total excitement and absolute terror. We have never had a dog before. It is one thing to work with them a couple hours a week. It is another thing to take one home.

Any advice from you experienced dog owners out there? I pick the dog up next week and want to get prepared. I won't know that much about the dog until they get him in at the shelter, so I'll have to rely on what they tell me.

Get a crate.

Dogs love to have a "den" - and when they come into a new environment, they need to feel safe. I would make sure that you crate the dog at night (but put the crate by your bed). You may also want to crate the dog when he is in the house if you do not know about his house training status.

He is still a pup, so he will need plenty of exercise. If you don't have a fenced yard, then take him out on leash many times per day for exercise and potty time.

For extended times in the crate or just relaxing at home, get him a bone (I love rawhides) to chew on. It keeps younger dogs chewing on something other than your shoes, furniture, etc.

Have fun!

Get a crate.

Dogs love to have a "den" - and when they come into a new environment, they need to feel safe. I would make sure that you crate the dog at night (but put the crate by your bed). You may also want to crate the dog when he is in the house if you do not know about his house training status.

He is still a pup, so he will need plenty of exercise. If you don't have a fenced yard, then take him out on leash many times per day for exercise and potty time.

For extended times in the crate or just relaxing at home, get him a bone (I love rawhides) to chew on. It keeps younger dogs chewing on something other than your shoes, furniture, etc.

Have fun!

:iagree:

If you love toddlers, you'll love owning a dog. They're like eternal toddlers...with claws. :D

OHHHHHH! I bet you fall in love at first sight. We have two labradoodles and love them. They are about 2 1/2 now and they make us laugh every day. The white male especially is just a crack up. He loves to be with people. He really likes to sleep with his head on something, your foot, his sisters belly, the bar on a chair. Last Christmas we had everyone at our house which included 9 kids. As they were all in the middle of the living room ripping paper off packages he was in the middle of it all with paper landing on and around him sleeping. We all laughed at him as he was perfectly happy being in the center of it all.........sleeping. The other two dogs had slithered away to the school room.