Menu

Elemental History!

4maybabies

Oh shoot! I was all set to go with History Odyssey Ancients Level 1 for my dd. But this looks good too. It's like the polar opposite of ancient history, though. What to do....what to do?? Could I actually do both??? :001_unsure: I hate to not do HO if I plan on continuing with it. But the thing I don't like is that we won't cover American History stuff until dd is like 10. :confused1:

It does include stories, but there is at least one book that you should probably purchase - Smart About Art. To make absolute full use out of the program, there is a list of about 10 books, plus additional picture books in each chapter.

Has anyone downloaded it yet? The first page is blank, and I was hoping for the full-color cover pages. I emailed them to see if I could get that.

Edited by Satori

It does include stories, but there is at least one book that you should probably purchase - Smart About Art. To make absolute full use out of the program, there is a list of about 10 books, plus additional picture books in each chapter.

Has anyone downloaded it yet? The first page is blank, and I was hoping for the full-color cover pages. I emailed them to see if I could get that.

Is the PDF not in color?

Who's the author of Smart About Art? I just went to Amazon and there is a series....but I'm thinking it would be the 4th one down, by True Kelley??

I was just trying to download it, and my internet security put a big message saying that the site contains potentially harmful content, and to proceed, I need to go into the firewall settings and add the URL to "Bad website exceptions":confused::confused::confused:

That is bizarre! I want to do it, but I'm nervous. I know I shouldn't be, because some of you have already done it, and I've purchased stuff from elemental science, but.....

Just my luck. Do you think someone is telling me not to buy it??? But it's such a good price, and just what I need.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of it, Angela. (And we all know a review from Angela's website will be wonderfully useful!)

We're gearing up for US history in the fall... but looking at the samples, I wasn't that impressed. The read aloud text seemed just so so and the student guide didn't look like it would be useful for the way we study history. Still, these Elemental folks are clearly hanging around here gauging the market for what people want, huh? And that price is really good.

Man, I wish I'd known about this a couple months ago! Does it cover US History up to modern times?

EDIT: OK I saw the Table of Contents and realized it doesn't...that would've been great if it did- I have a huge history gap to fill for our studies next year!

Edited by gamedesignmom
correction

Oops, I said Smart About Art, but it is indeed the same series as Smart About the 50 States. We have several of the art books and read the States one this spring. It looks like a very simple program, but it says it's for kindergarten/early elementary, so I'm okay with that. It's for pre-third grade before they hit American history in the typical classical rotation. For the price, I couldn't resist. I figure we'd supplement with extra books that I already had ready.

The PDF is in black and white, but I was hoping for the full-color cover page that they showed in their online sample. Still haven't heard back yet, but I'll update when I find out.

I downloaded this yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to really look through it. I think it is going to be perfect for us, since I just wasn't sure my dd was ready for SOTW or TOG yet.

I believe the program is secular. Of course, God and religion are mentioned since it is a US history curriculum. I can't wait to start using it in a couple of weeks!

I forgot to answer the pages question. :D

The student workbook is 180 pages, and the teacher's guide is 151. Plus 2 cover pages. I won't print it all out, but it might be cheaper to buy the print version. I just didn't want to wait though!

:iagree: 180 and 151 each. I printed them out on both sides and will bind them today.

If it was secular was one of my first questions and I was assured it was. Giving a cursory glance of the pages, I too would say it is secular. As I bind the pages, I'll look through them more thoroughly.

We'll also start in a few weeks. I have the main book, but would like to order some of the suggested read-alongs that we don't have yet.

Thanks!!

I forgot to answer the pages question. :D

The student workbook is 180 pages, and the teacher's guide is 151. Plus 2 cover pages. I won't print it all out, but it might be cheaper to buy the print version. I just didn't want to wait though!

I believe the program is secular. Of course, God and religion are mentioned since it is a US history curriculum. I can't wait to start using it in a couple of weeks!

:iagree: 180 and 151 each. I printed them out on both sides and will bind them today.

If it was secular was one of my first questions and I was assured it was. Giving a cursory glance of the pages, I too would say it is secular. As I bind the pages, I'll look through them more thoroughly.

Thank you!

The PDF is in black and white, but I was hoping for the full-color cover page that they showed in their online sample. Still haven't heard back yet, but I'll update when I find out.

They have since updated the downloads as well...I just purchased it today (have been waiting for it to finally release!!) and my copies both have colored cover sheets...so your email must have prompted them to update the files :D

My only regret at the moment is jumping on the download instead of waiting for the printed version...I am not really wanting to print it myself, and having it printed will be more than the cost of just purchasing the printed one. So I have to figure out what I want to do now :P

I love the layout though and the easy-to-implement nature of it. Very laid back intro to American History, which is exactly what I wanted!!

Is it the sort of thing where you could use the teacher's guide on your laptop/Ipad and just print out the student pages? That would save print costs...

That's what I am gonna do...I still wish I would have just waited since I knew I didn't really want to print on my own printer (it's an ink guzzler...) and sending it off to the printers isn't horrid, but it's still more than the cost of buying it printed from EH. Oh well :P

Oh shoot! I was all set to go with History Odyssey Ancients Level 1 for my dd. But this looks good too. It's like the polar opposite of ancient history, though. What to do....what to do?? Could I actually do both??? :001_unsure: I hate to not do HO if I plan on continuing with it. But the thing I don't like is that we won't cover American History stuff until dd is like 10. :confused1:

and i was getting ready to start SOTW ancients next week with ds who is six but this tempts me too because i don't want to wait on American History either. but is running SOTW and this concurrently going to be too much....if you are doing both (Satorismiles - it appears you are going to be doing middle ages also???) - how are you gonna manage this?

We did Ancients this past year and also got in a really good US states study. I meant to then get into history and study them all over again. This will do the job. We didn't have a problem doing both.

Using the teacher book on iPad should work out, and of course printing out the student pages.

I know it says it's for K or early elementary, but do you think this might work for a 9yo who is a little behind, struggling reader, etc? If we added a little more detail to the state studies and a little more reading maybe?

I know it says it's for K or early elementary, but do you think this might work for a 9yo who is a little behind, struggling reader, etc? If we added a little more detail to the state studies and a little more reading maybe?

I'm planning to use it with my 6 and 8 year old DDs. My 8 yo is bright and creative but struggles academically (esp. with reading fluency and confidence). I figure it will be perfect for her. She NEEDS stuff that's "too easy" to build her confidence. I figure I can always add in a few extra books or something to beef it up, if needed.

I was looking at a picture book series for US history... and, of course, now I can't remember what it was called. But I think it might work well with this program. (Angela/Satori recommended it... so, Angela, feel free to jump in and remind me what I'm talking about :tongue_smilie:)

Many of the recommended read alouds are the same books used in Sonlight's Core 3(D). I don't see any problem using this with a 9 yr old. I bought the digital version of Adventures in America to compare it to MFW Adventures and the books in Core 3(D). I am using a combo of the above for my 8 yr old this year.

I got it and it looks great! I just wish I knew this was coming this past spring when I was trying so hard to find an American history for first graders. I hobbled together my own list of books to go along with the Classical Conversations schedule, but this looks much better. :):)

The list of materials in the back looks pretty easy to handle. I like it when the materials aren't crazy things I have to make a special trip to purchase.

In the samples that I saw on the website, it looks like most of the student activities are coloring and copy work. Am I wrong? (I hope I'm wrong!) I was looking for more hands on or crafty ideas. I'm considering using the David C King books, http://www.amazon.com/Wild-West-Days-Discover-Activities/dp/0471239194/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310590652&sr=1-6 , but I'd love to have something all planned out especially at this price.

In the samples that I saw on the website, it looks like most of the student activities are coloring and copy work. Am I wrong? (I hope I'm wrong!) I was looking for more hands on or crafty ideas.

:bigear: I'm interested in an answer to this, as well.

I'd love to hear more about the student workbook too. It looks from samples on the website that it consists of coloring pages, blank copy work pages, and pages of state outlines. I pretty much already have all of that from other studies, so do I need the student workbook or just the teacher manual?

I'd love to hear more about the student workbook too. It looks from samples on the website that it consists of coloring pages, blank copy work pages, and pages of state outlines. I pretty much already have all of that from other studies, so do I need the student workbook or just the teacher manual?

It pretty much is just that. The teachers manual has the outline, craft, suggested stories, read-alouds, etc. The student workbook is just a coloring page, narration page, copywork page, state page and that's it. The download included both, but if I was just getting the printed versions, I would either get the combo OR *just* the teachers manual if it were me.

ETA: The teachers manual is where the craft is listed...I need to go back through, but I believe there is one 'hands-on' activity per week that goes along with the lessons. I know the first week is a clay bead making craft.

The student text has coloring pages, state pages and copywork/narration pages. The coloring pages and state pages are extremely simple. We've got enough Dover coloring books to keep us occupied. The Dover United States book is what we'll use for our state pages. We've got copywork/narration covered in other subjects, so we won't be using it in this program. Even if we did, the spaces to write in are too big for my daughter who has tiny handwriting. So if you already have other resources for those three things, you probably don't need the student book.

There is a project each week covered in the Teacher's book. The first week is making Iroquois Wampum beads, and I can see us doing that, but like every program, we'll pick and choose from the activities suggested.

I was happy to see at least some of the Maestro books listed as optional picture books, as we already started our collection. However, the first one isn't listed (where they explain how the Native Americans arrived via the land bridge). I can see why they might have chosen to leave it out if that was on purpose. Some of the other suggested optional books are too stereotypical for our liking, but we've got enough resources to choose from already.