Menu

Good History program using Source Documents?

We've used this series here: Mysteries In History and have had a lot of success with it. Each 'mystery' offers up copies of primary documents from letters to tickets. It's a great springboard for more discussion and research. I'm slowly collecting the Jackdaws to go with each mystery so we have a package of background information to work with and less to do on the computer.

The bad part is most of the mysteries are sidelines to main events, so the big stories are still found in the history books and these are more of a side activitiy - though if my co-op kids had been older this year (I have the 1-3rd crowd) I would have built a curriculum around this and primary sources like diaries and logbooks.

Edited by Lily_Grace

I'm not sure what time period you'll be studying, but if it's American History then I thought these looked very good. I know this isn't a complete program either, but I thought I'd share this anyway...in case you don't find a complete program...and you are looking for Am. History and you thought these looked good too...!!:001_smile:

Sorry, I had this linked to Amazon, but it was connected to my name so I had to take it off. Here is one of them below, but there are many other Am. History topics at Amazon.

http://www.christianbook.com/primary-sources-teaching-kit-civil-rights/karen-baicker/0590378430/pd/378430

Edited by Kfamily

History Odyssey is the only WTM-based program I know of. Critical Thinking Company books books, maybe? Jack Daws on the topic of study are also an option but they are $$$.

I'm not sure what time period you'll be studying, but if it's American History then I thought these looked very good. I know this isn't a complete program either, but I thought I'd share this anyway...in case you don't find a complete program...and you are looking for Am. History and you thought these looked good too...!!:001_smile:

Sorry, I had this linked to Amazon, but it was connected to my name so I had to take it off. Here is one of them below, but there are many other Am. History topics at Amazon.

http://www.christianbook.com/primary-sources-teaching-kit-civil-rights/karen-baicker/0590378430/pd/378430

These look pretty good and inexpensive. Thanks!

level 2 books--after ancients--make great use of primary sources, which are included in the curricula. It's nice to have the primary source documents and the activities in one place. I particularly like her worksheets for analyzing primary source documents--the work systematically through logic-level thinking. I was just looking back over some of the sheets my son filled out last year and thinking they were some of the most useful work he did last year.

What have you all tried and liked? I really need something to hold my hand. This is the first time I will use something like this plus I want to add it to the co-op class I'm teaching for 6th-8th graders.

For US History, I've found lots of resources online.

National Archives Teaching with Documents. This has the documents, lesson plans and worksheets for analyzing a document (of various types including poster, cartoon or photograph).

This page has links to various regional sets of document lessons (California, Southeast, etc) as well as links to state resources (on the sidebar).

This page has info related to past National History Day competitions. Not lesson plans, but lists of lots document collections and theme suggestions.

Museums, National Historic Parks sites, state and local historical societies or state libraries often have online sets of documents with lessons. For example, the Virginia Historical Society has some in their educator resources section.

I also found a cool set of booklets recently. The series is Voices From America's Past and each booklet is on a historical period or theme. Each booklet has several excerpts from primary sources along with a short introduction that describes the author and/or the event being discussed. I like them because they capture the sense of the period under study, but are still concise and focused.

The series I have was edited by Richard B. Morris and published by the Webster Division of McGraw Hill.

For US History, I've found lots of resources online.

National Archives Teaching with Documents. This has the documents, lesson plans and worksheets for analyzing a document (of various types including poster, cartoon or photograph).

This page has links to various regional sets of document lessons (California, Southeast, etc) as well as links to state resources (on the sidebar).

This page has info related to past National History Day competitions. Not lesson plans, but lists of lots document collections and theme suggestions.

Museums, National Historic Parks sites, state and local historical societies or state libraries often have online sets of documents with lessons. For example, the Virginia Historical Society has some in their educator resources section.

Sebastian, just wanted to say thanks for all these links. They are fabulous!! Why buy anything when you have these for free!!

Jennifer

Sebastian, just wanted to say thanks for all these links. They are fabulous!! Why buy anything when you have these for free!!

Jennifer

Don't forget to look at the National Parks Service sites for education links. I was looking the other day and found a lot of primary sources there. However, they seem to not be centrally indexed.

I also forgot to mention Teaching with Historic Places, the Library of Congress or Smithsonian Education

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)