Menu

Classical Writing Users: ? about notebooks

chai

We're moving into Homer this fall and I see that I need several notebooks. Can you tell me how you have done this? Do you follow CW recommendations or do you use WTM notebooks? Any other suggestions? This is one of my weak spots--I'll start notebooks and then they just sit in the cupboard most of the year.

We're starting Homer on Monday, so I'm not sure exactly what we'll do yet. Dds already have a copybook, so we'll just add selections to the existing book. I think we'll simply use one notebook with divisions for writing projects and grammar exercises that go beyond the workbook.

I'm with you on notebook trauma...we have several that never quite got off the ground. ;)

Let me know what you end up doing. :)

At our house, each child has a Classical Writing binder; the binder is sectioned off as needed (Aesop retellings, Grammar, Homer retellings, Diogenes, etc.). Everything they've done is right there, all together.

ETA: Beginning with Diogenes, each dc also has a separate Commonplace Book.

Dds already have a copybook, so we'll just add selections to the existing book. I think we'll simply use one notebook with divisions for writing projects and grammar exercises that go beyond the workbook.

Is your copybook in a 3-ring binder or do you have a bound book? What paper do you use for it? Do you only put it in the notebook after it is finished?

(I know this is really basic, but I don't want another thing collecting dust or making me feel guilty!):001_rolleyes:

At our house, each child has a Classical Writing binder; the binder is sectioned off as needed (Aesop retellings, Grammar, Homer retellings, Diogenes, etc.). Everything they've done is right there, all together.

Can you tell me the exact sections? I'm a notebook flunky here.

ETA: Beginning with Diogenes, each dc also has a separate Commonplace Book.

I'm going to pretend like I didn't hear that! :svengo:

Is your copybook in a 3-ring binder or do you have a bound book? What paper do you use for it? Do you only put it in the notebook after it is finished?

(I know this is really basic, but I don't want another thing collecting dust or making me feel guilty!):001_rolleyes:

It's just a bound composition book for now. I have visions of all my dc longing to own fine leather-bound copybooks full of lovely cream-colored stock, rife with neatly penned verses and thoughts. I like to live vicariously. :D

It's just a bound composition book for now. I have visions of all my dc longing to own fine leather-bound copybooks full of lovely cream-colored stock, rife with neatly penned verses and thoughts. I like to live vicariously. :D

We're not there yet, but we're planning to compromise. My brother was in Italy last year and bought some beautiful tooled leather book covers. We'll slip those over an ordinary notebook (lined initially, later unlined) and attempt to have the best of both worlds. :D

With the fountain pens I just bought for #1 Son, we'll see how well this works over the next year or two.

We're moving into Homer this fall and I see that I need several notebooks. Can you tell me how you have done this? Do you follow CW recommendations or do you use WTM notebooks? Any other suggestions? This is one of my weak spots--I'll start notebooks and then they just sit in the cupboard most of the year.

I don't do any of that. My boys compose their assignments on the computer. We don't keep the grammar notebook. We do use a composition book for copywork and dictation. We keep it very simple :)

Can you tell me the exact sections? I'm a notebook flunky here.

They just have a section for each of the books for their retellings (Aesop, Homer, Diogenes), and then there is a section for the odd pieces of grammar that they occasionally record.

It is nothing fancy or difficult at all.

My dc type up their drafts, edit, and then print the final version out for their binders. I like them having a hard copy of all CW together so they can look back at all their hard work and see their progress.

I get the student workbooks, and at least for Aesop, I would staple in whatever outside papers they had for copywork, drafts, etc. I haven't looked through Homer yet to see if I want to do the same there or not.

With Poetry I did get a 3-subject notebook for him to do his copywork in and write copies of his own poems.