Menu

Let's talk beer :-)

My first beer was ice house so I drank that for a while. Then I found Corona w/ a lime wedge and loved that. I don't drink at all now but some hot summer days I could go for an ice cold beer...gah! As to why I liked one particular beer over another no particular reason at all.

I've have a real taste for beers, I live in Bamberg Germany which has more breweries than any city in the world (over 150) and spent some time as a home brewer when I could not get real beer - so, I guess I have an opinion worth sharing on this one...

For beers available in the US my favorite is Newcastle Brown Ale. It's a simple light brown ale and goes great with food or by itself. Back in college the urban legend is that if you drank a "newkie" as the first beer of the evening you won't get hung over the next day. And experience tells me this is true.

In Bavaria, all the beer that you would think are great like Hauf Brau, Lowenbrau, Beck's, etc. are popular but not nearly as tasty as most any beer from Bamberg.

The local beer Fasala Gold Pils is by far the best beer I have ever had. It has a unbeatable crisp rich taste and golden color with a great foamy head. Not only that - it's literally cheaper than water, is 5.9% alcohol and is only available in .5 liter bottles. Somehow it's the best beer in what is the epicenter of German brewing and so cheap that the German drunks drink it. Go figure.

Just. can't. drink. it. I have tried time and time again to like the stuff. DH likes Michelob Ultra, neighbor love Miller lite in cans. I do remember somewhat liking Corona with lime in the neck in college but I may have already been tipsy and that is why it tasted good. Me? Mojito-nice and sweet please!:)

So was this stout your first experience with real beer ? :001_smile:

If you want to try a decent real beer that is easy to find most places, get some Sam Adams. It's a good place to start. If you happen to see some Samuel Adams Black Lager in particular - buy it - it's fabulous !!

If you find a store that has a good selection, pick up some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - it's in a lime green carton.

My current fav is Newcastle as well. I used to drink just about any beer before kids, but lost my taste for it after my pregnancies. I just recently started drinking it again, and Newcastle is my beer of choice. I also occasionally like a blueberry oatmeal stout called Buffalo Bill's. It's a very natural, subtle and not sweet blueberry flavor. Yum!

I've never been a beer drinker, but had a random stout a few weeks ago at a friend's. It wasn't anything like the nasty stuff I'd remembered from when I was younger. So, I go to the store and I have no idea what to get.

What's your favorite beer and why? :001_smile:

If you've never drunk good beer before and would like to sample a few styles, I'd go out and buy Shiner Brewery's Family Reunion 12 pack. It has 2 bottles of 6 different kinds of beer and includes their famous bock, hefeweizen, kosmos, black lager, and blonde. Shiner is a Texas brewery and it's stocked in every supermarket that carries beer I've ever been to in Houston. Their bock is famous and you can find it on tap quite often in Houston. It's like "stout lite".

If you're specifically looking for a stout, you may or may not find Newcastle, but you will definitely find Guinness. You probably can find Sam Adam's, but it's not a typical summer beer, so it might not be out till September. Sam Adam's also sells special 12 packs with an assortment of beers. They include a chocolate stout in their Christmas pack which is just delicious.

For a completely different kind of beer, Shiner's summer beer is Ruby Redbird. It's brewed with Texas grapefruit and it's actually very summery and refreshing. It's worth trying to see if you like it.

My DH brews his own beer. We like different beers. He likes lots of hops. I like a wheat beer. He always makes sure he has at least one I like :) They are really yummy! I don't drink beer or alcohol that much, but I do like one with dinner once in a while.

I make a loose version of a handy by mixing a lighter-style beer like a Belgian white or a pilsner with lemonade. Very refreshing in the summer, and I don't consider myself a beer drinker. My husband loves all sorts of craft-brewed beers/styles, but I can mix lemonade with Budweiser and be perfectly happy!

My dear, you're in Houston. Go buy some "imported" beer -- imported from Shiner, TX (probably the best beer for you is Shiner Bock, though they do make other kinds). I also like Sam Adams. Dh and I will buy their seasonal cases (different types of brew in 1 case).

I love Guiness, especially a properly pulled Guiness which I can't find here; but, that may be too much for you right now. Have fun experimenting!

I like Ales, Pale Ale or IPA. Around here, that usually means Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Wing Walker Pale Ale.

When we lived in Kansas City, we drank Boulevard, fabulous beer. I don't drink wheat beer anymore because I haven't found anything that compares to the Boulevard Wheat.

If you've never drunk good beer before and would like to sample a few styles, I'd go out and buy Shiner Brewery's Family Reunion 12 pack. It has 2 bottles of 6 different kinds of beer and includes their famous bock, hefeweizen, kosmos, black lager, and blonde. Shiner is a Texas brewery and it's stocked in every supermarket that carries beer I've ever been to in Houston. Their bock is famous and you can find it on tap quite often in Houston. It's like "stout lite".

Yes, I agree. We used to drink Shiner bock. Yum.

I also like some of the Sam Adams seasonal beers, especially Octoberfest.

I would look for a local microbrewery, you can often do a 'tasting' so you can decide what style of beer you like.

The Kroger near me has started a new thing where you can get an empty 6-pack box and choose single bottles to fill it with. It costs a dollar or two more than a 6-pack of one variety, but this might be a good way to try several different kinds of beer that are new to you. Maybe your local grocery store does this also?

Not to argue against European beers (that would be crazy!), but there are a lot of good American craft beers out there like Fat Tire or Arrogant Bastard. I also really like some of the hard ciders out there.

:iagree: I'm more a wine drinker, but my DH loves both those kinds. He tends to buy small quanities of microbrews to try. He is a bit OCD about it. We have to have a corner in the basement for his stash. On the other hand, another corner is designated as wine cellar!

If you like dark beers with lots of flavors a few other varieties we have right now are Tyranena, Pepe Nero, Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale, Bigfoot Ale, and Sixth Glass. Check out your local microbrews too! We've found a couple gems.

I went through a phase where I decided to become a wine drinker. Turns out I am allergic to all wines. I cannot figure out what it is, but I get hives and itchy.

So, BEER it is...well Mike's for the most part.

Heinekien Dark

and my favorite summer beer is a http://www.pyramidbrew.com/our-brews/hefeweizen with orange slices.

I forgot Pyramid has an Apricot Ale that is amazing with a piece of dark chocolate.

Edited by Hausunterricht

I like Trader Joe's beer. My favorites are the Vienna and the Bohemian. Plus they are only $5.99 for 6. You can mix and match in one six pack to find what you like best.

Besides that, I only like real German beer, preferably drinking it in Germany!

I would look for a local microbrewery, you can often do a 'tasting' so you can decide what style of beer you like.

:iagree:

Lately Dh has been buying mostly Fat Tire. I don't drink much beer anymore (:lol:) but I prefer something not too dark and not too light - medium dark, I suppose ;).

Another Shiner fan here. I also enjoy Sam Adams, Newcastle Brown, Spaten, Smithwick's/Smitty's, and Moosehead - those are what I can think of offhand. I really like beer, despite the gaseous effects later. My favorite local restaurant is called McNellie's, and they have TONS of types of beer. Their beer guide is amazing. They also have great burgers and delicious sweet potato fries.

Have you ever tried Leinenkugel Summer Wheat with an orange? Very similar to Blue Moon, but even better IMO:).

Will look for this one.

Another Shiner fan here. I also enjoy Sam Adams, Newcastle Brown, Spaten, Smithwick's/Smitty's, and Moosehead - those are what I can think of offhand. I really like beer, despite the gaseous effects later. My favorite local restaurant is called McNellie's, and they have TONS of types of beer. Their beer guide is amazing. They also have great burgers and delicious sweet potato fries.

Ooh - will have to check this place out. Fun!

I don't have one favourite... though of the "big" local microbrews, Bridgeport IPA is my fail safe. I especially like hoppy IPAs, strain-through-your-teeth coffee/espresso stouts, reds, a hefe for summer (Widmer in a pinch, otherwise a local brewpub makes a great, authentic hefe), and a nice pear cider, my one nod to girly brews. :tongue_smilie:

I also recommend checking out local microbreweries.

Bell's Oberon. I'm not sure if Bell's is just in Michigan or if it's national, but pretty much the only beer I like is their Oberon Ale. It is sooooooo good. I don't drink it often, but it's really nice on a hot summer night. In fact, after I have this baby, I want DH to get me a Bell's Oberon to enjoy with my first dinner at home.

So was this stout your first experience with real beer ? :001_smile:

If you want to try a decent real beer that is easy to find most places, get some Sam Adams. It's a good place to start. If you happen to see some Samuel Adams Black Lager in particular - buy it - it's fabulous !!

If you find a store that has a good selection, pick up some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - it's in a lime green carton.

Well, kind of real. I've smelled Guinness and that was enough. My mother drank Coors Light when I was younger, so I'm familiar with that. Budweiser and Shiner I'm quite familiar with. The wine that was being served was a step up from Boone's Farm so I went with beer. It was good and better than I remembered, but I can't remember the label, but I remember stout :tongue_smilie: For its darkness I expected it to be more strong/bitter, but it was surprisingly light. I didn't love it, but I guess I was surprised that I didn't hate it. I'm going to look at labels tonight and see if I can find it.

If you're specifically looking for a stout, you may or may not find Newcastle, but you will definitely find Guinness. You probably can find Sam Adam's, but it's not a typical summer beer, so it might not be out till September. Sam Adam's also sells special 12 packs with an assortment of beers. They include a chocolate stout in their Christmas pack which is just delicious.

For a completely different kind of beer, Shiner's summer beer is Ruby Redbird. It's brewed with Texas grapefruit and it's actually very summery and refreshing. It's worth trying to see if you like it.

With Shiner (my dh is from that area), we buy the bock to bake bread with. And for chili. They used to make a honey wheat that I used for bread, but I haven't seen it in a while. Shiner is what everyone drank in high school, when I thought it was gross, so it's an association thing that I need to get past. :tongue_smilie: I like the idea of a sampler. I'm going to HEB this evening to see if they have the Ruby Redbird.

and a nice pear cider, my one nod to girly brews. :tongue_smilie:

Pear cider? Want.

Thanks for all the recs, y'all. I've got my little notepad filled with beers to try.

Visit the Flying Saucer and sample a few.

Some of my favorites are:

Shiner Bock (I also love their Ruby Red Bird)

Duvel

Stella Artois

Chimay

Dos Equis

Corona

BJ's Brewery has some good home brews

If you go by Spec's and tell them what you like about the beer you like, they will recommend other options to suit your palate.

Have fun exploring!

The man is a voice of reason :D

Bill

My dh would agree with you and Wendy's dh!

Shawna, Shiner has many types of beers these days. In fact, if you go to the brewery I think you can still have a tasting. Look -- Parental Field Trip!!

Bell's Oberon. I'm not sure if Bell's is just in Michigan or if it's national, but pretty much the only beer I like is their Oberon Ale. It is sooooooo good. I don't drink it often, but it's really nice on a hot summer night. In fact, after I have this baby, I want DH to get me a Bell's Oberon to enjoy with my first dinner at home.

:iagree: Love Oberon, as its brewed in my hometown. In fact, Oberon day is bigger than ST Patricks Day and the night before Thanksgiving around here. You can drink oberon with an orange which is delish. Blue Moon and Oberon are the only beers I drink.

Visit the Flying Saucer and sample a few.

Some of my favorites are:

Shiner Bock (I also love their Ruby Red Bird)

Duvel

Stella Artois

Chimay

Dos Equis

Corona

BJ's Brewery has some good home brews

If you go by Spec's and tell them what you like about the beer you like, they will recommend other options to suit your palate.

Have fun exploring!

I just looked up Flying Saucer. I am so there. Are they kid friendly? We've been to BJ's but I didn't drink.

Shawna, Shiner has many types of beers these days. In fact, if you go to the brewery I think you can still have a tasting. Look -- Parental Field Trip!!

When I was a senior, we tried really hard to make that our class trip for the year. :tongue_smilie: