Menu

5 Free Fun Math Apps for Addition Practice

veggiegal

There's been a few threads about math fact drill / practice lately; thought my recent blogpost might be helpful. My boys have tested out all 5 apps and declared them 'keepers', and I am happy to see them enjoying math drill via games and creative puzzles. I'll be doing more blogposts on other math apps we're enjoying that cover other areas of math (all 4 operations, fractions, etc.) in the coming weeks.

http://educatingrisa.com/2011/07/07/5-fun-free-math-apps-for-addition/

I'd love to hear about other math apps your kids enjoy.

Here are some:

Rocket Math (there are two apps with this name; the second one is by Operatio)

Adding up 4 LC and others by Xenosoft - very plain but the multiplication one is my favorite x drill type game

Kruis Tafels

Number Pyramid by Alex Varju

Mathstronaut

There's also a cute sticker sudoku by Catherine Baray.

I've got tons more but these are the least weird!

Yeah, I've found loads of wacky Asian ones. Some are really neat, others ... well, there's a reason they're free. Heh.

Share neat ones please :D

I did some preliminary testing of the copy-cat Rocket Math HD, and the most fun thing seems to be getting the wrong answer and havin the rocket explode on the pad :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Stripe, Just wanted to thank you again; my 9 year old LOVES Kruis Tafels! They are an awesome way of practicing multiplication. And I doubt I ever would have found it browsing the app store (obscure name, anyone?) :D So thanks again--it's going on my list of apps to include when I do a write up about apps for multiplication and/or basic operations practice.

I liked the Pyramid math one too. Reminds me of some activities I've done with my son re: Pascal's Triangle.

Stripe, Just wanted to thank you again; my 9 year old LOVES Kruis Tafels! They are an awesome way of practicing multiplication. And I doubt I ever would have found it browsing the app store (obscure name, anyone?) :D So thanks again--it's going on my list of apps to include when I do a write up about apps for multiplication and/or basic operations practice.

The woman has a knack (or would one say "gift"?) for finding the most interesting and highly obscure resources.

Kruis Tafels downloading as we speak.

Bill

Ugh, I can't get Kruis to download, I've tried several times. That one and Ticket to Ride. :( I have enough space too.

Coin Math is one I downloaded last night. It's $1.99. It has a lot of money information and games.

Math Drills is another I just got for $1.99.

I just downloaded (and played with) Kruis just fine. So I'd try again.

Bill

I'll recommend one. It is not math or "educational" per se, but "Saving Seeds" (which falls under the category of "physics" games) is fun and takes some thinking skills. There is a free version (all I have at the moment) but I think I'll shell-out the big-bucks (99 cents) for the full version.

Bill

Coin Math is one I downloaded last night. It's $1.99. It has a lot of money information and games.

Math Drills is another I just got for $1.99.

Wish I could find one like Coin Math with Canadian money. Hmmm...I'm an educator linked into the homeschooling community; hubby is a programmer. Could be a fun project. :D

We use Math Drills lite quite a bit; will be upgrading to the full version. My kids also like FlashToPass for basic drill. It times you, has oodles of levels, and you can customize by operation and number as well. My 9 year old does a few each day--there are 50 questions per round--and tries to beat his previous time score. I'm not big on the speed math fact drill so prevalent in schools (they are called "Mad math Minutes" here)--and this was reflected in my son's standardized test scores, which put his "math concepts" knowledge more than 3 full grade levels above his "math computation" score. But we're starting to hit content in math (multiple digit multiplication, fractions, etc.) where his difficulties in knowing the basic facts fast enough is causing problems for him being able to follow the examples / explanations given. So this summer we're doing a whole lotta math drill, via many methods. But I am glad we've focused on understanding math first, and not just speed and drill but no real idea of when/why you use it.

I'll recommend one. It is not math or "educational" per se, but "Saving Seeds" (which falls under the category of "physics" games) is fun and takes some thinking skills. There is a free version (all I have at the moment) but I think I'll shell-out the big-bucks (99 cents) for the full version.

Bill

Reminds me of Crayon Physics. You can download a demo via their website. My kids like this one too.

Okay! I've found some more really nice ones.

If you like Kruis Tafels, you will also like Mathoku. Same idea.

I really like this one I found called Yoku Gami -- I played it three times in a row!

You might also like Didakto. I only tried the lite version. These two are not for absolute beginners.

Also Logic Solving and Math Gems.

Math Balloons looks likes fun for the younger crowd. Aliens by UR Brainy is really, really simple but cute. Make shapes (I have the lite) is also a nice drawing program with shapes. Brush Route and Letter Route are not mathy but are also really cute for tracing. For symmetry and drawing, Toca Boca's Paint My Wings is really sweet.

4 choice calc -- the premise puzzles me a bit, but maybe it will appeal to someone. You get an equation with the operation missing, and you fill it in. ( 4 () 4 = 1 )

Drill-san is....a drill program.

Math adventures (has a lite version) is practice with a hundreds board.

If you love those problems with moving a toothpick/matchstick to make the equation correct, try Stick Math HD.

I downloaded but didn't play, just looked at, Math Reversi.

But the most interesting find of the day is Red Dragonfly Mathematics Challenge.

Edited by stripe

Okay! I've found some more really nice ones.

If you like Kruis Tafels, you will also like Mathoku. Same idea.

I really like this one I found called Yoku Gami -- I played it three times in a row!

You might also like Didakto. I only tried the lite version. These two are not for absolute beginners.

Also Logic Solving and Math Gems.

Math Balloons looks likes fun for the younger crowd. Aliens by UR Brainy is really, really simple but cute. Make shapes (I have the lite) is also a nice drawing program with shapes. Brush Route and Letter Route are not mathy but are also really cute for tracing. For symmetry and drawing, Toca Boca's Paint My Wings is really sweet.

4 choice calc -- the premise puzzles me a bit, but maybe it will appeal to someone. You get an equation with the operation missing, and you fill it in. ( 4 () 4 = 1 )

Drill-san is....a drill program.

Math adventures (has a lite version) is practice with a hundreds board.

If you love those problems with moving a toothpick/matchstick to make the equation correct, try Stick Math HD.

I downloaded but didn't play, just looked at, Math Reversi.

But the most interesting find of the day is Red Dragonfly Mathematics Challenge.

Happy happy! Busy busy! Thanks so much Stripe!

I forgot to mention these yesterday -- Pearl diver (and lobster diver)

And the Pirates of Fossil Island

And I'm just trying out Grasshopper Apps' Count Money, but it looks promising

I discovered my son playing Rocket Math HD (the copy-cat) this morning, so Pearl Diver, Lobster Diver and Pirates oFI are downloading now.

How do you do it? :D

Bill

I discovered my son playing Rocket Math HD (the copy-cat) this morning, so Pearl Diver, Lobster Diver and Pirates oFI are downloading now.

How do you do it? :D

Bill

:)

I have tried almost all math-related apps, I think! My kids only play math games, apparently.

Is Pearl Diver exactly the same as Lobster Diver (except what they are diving for) or are they different?

Bill

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. I thought at first that they were the same, then I thought Lobster Diver was more advanced (fractions and so on), but I've come to conclude they are basically the same! (Seems the case based on this review too.)

Math Snacks' website

By the way, for mathphobes, there are two apps that might interest you! TheMathMom Puzzles and TheMathMom Stories. Both seem to be examples of math in real life to help calm math anxiety.

Free today, Multiply Wiz (from Singapore)

Also Code Guess (mastermind)

Thanks much! You all know about the App Tracker app, which lets you know which apps are "now free", as well as which ones have been reduced in price? App Tracker is free. Haven't found many math / educational apps via this route yet, but have found some fun games. Gears 2 is the latest hit with my boys. They love connecting the gears together, making everything spin and shooting the hamster off his running wheel. :D