Menu

Please help me with math!

We just started our summer session on Monday. DD started BCM(ChalkDust clone), and it did not go well. The lectures were way too long for her. I can see that if we continue, there will be loads of tears this year, and not a whole lot of learning happening. My DD11 is not a strong math student, and she has just finished MUS Zeta. She did well, but it was not easy for her. I had hoped that BCM would solidify her understanding of basic math before pre-algebra. I should also add that she seems to be an auditory learner, and she likes lessons to be 'short and sweet'.

My question is, where do I go from here? I was really hoping to have Professor Mosely teach her, as I really do not have the time in our schedule this year.

So...do I continue on with MUS and do pre-algebra? I really did not want to do pre-algebra until 8th grade, as my DD is still quite immature. As of right now, she is not bound for university, rather, she wants to attend college to become a veterinary technician. Of course, that could all change.

What if I did Horizons Math 6 this year and then moved to MUS Pre-Algebra next year? Or should I consider Math Mammoth 6? I have Saxon 7/6, but I think it would take a lot of teaching on my part, and I really need her to be fairly independent this year.

Any help would be appreciated!

If you decide to switch, I'd strongly recommend looking at the placement tests first, for whichever program you choose.

MM can be pretty independent, but different kids may react differently. I don't know if the review chapter at the start of 6A would be basic enough - it's hard to say without knowing what sort of basic math you're looking for, and how much - just a quickie, or several weeks. The first chapter of 5A has a more extensive review of basic math. I'd look closely at the TOCs and samples to see if this curriculum is in the ballpark of what you're looking for.

Successful completion of MM6 (and probably the Horizons and Saxon levels you mention, though I don't know those programs) should also leave a student well prepared for any prealgebra. In other words, I wouldn't feel limited to MUS for prealgebra if you find success with another program in the interim.

Edited by wapiti

Horizons 6 is pretty independent, although not slow.

We're trying Thinkwell this year for shorter, sweeter video segments. It goes 6th grade and up.

I agree that Horizons is not slow. My 3 boys in the middle are doing a combination of MUS and Horizons Math. They are doing Horizons Math a year behind as review.

I will look into Thinkwell, I had not really thought about using it.

If you decide to switch, I'd strongly recommend looking at the placement tests first, for whichever program you choose.

MM can be pretty independent, but different kids may react differently. I don't know if the review chapter at the start of 6A would be basic enough - it's hard to say without knowing what sort of basic math you're looking for, and how much - just a quickie, or several weeks. The first chapter of 5A has a more extensive review of basic math. I'd look closely at the TOCs and samples to see if this curriculum is in the ballpark of what you're looking for.

Successful completion of MM6 (and probably the Horizons and Saxon levels you mention, though I don't know those programs) should also leave a student well prepared for any prealgebra. In other words, I wouldn't feel limited to MUS for prealgebra if you find success with another program in the interim.[/Quote]

We have tried the dark blue series of MM in the past, but maybe I need to revisit the light blue series and look at the TOC.

I am looking for something to use for the entire 7th grade year. I know that pushing my DD through to pre-algebra would not be a good thing. She needs a year to mature and to review the 'grammar' stage of math.

Have you considered doing TT, maybe 7? This would give her solid review and she'd be completely independent. TT7 is the level just before PreAlgebra. It is very interactive, fun and has a lot of auditory built in.

This is our third year with TT and my non-mathy dd is doing really well with it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

DD started BCM (ChalkDust clone), and it did not go well. The lectures were way too long for her.

So this is not Lial's BCM, but Chalkdust Basic Math? Or are you trying to use Lial's book with Chalkdust lectures?

Either way, I might try the Lial's BCM with the DVTs that go with it. The Lial's DVTs are short and to the point and line right up with the book.

I second Teaching Textbooks. This was a LIFESAVER in my house last year for 5th grade and I'm looking forward to it again this year for 6th. TT uses an animated lecture, too. My daughter loved it and did very well with it, and she's not particularly mathy.

I have a detailed review of it (which also addresses the whole "but it's too easy!" thing) here if you want more info:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124221.html