Menu

Looking for Latin Curriculum for Self-Education Purposes

I'm looking for a Latin curriculum so that I can teach MYSELF Latin. I'd then like to use what I've learned so that I can better teach it to my kids. Every school year we start and stumble, and I KNOW it's because I haven't taken the time to understand it.

So, what is the best Latin curriculum out there that teaches the teacher how to teach it?

Thanks,

Staci

Wheelock - you are an adult and you can go straight to the "real thing" in the most compact form.

If you would still like some fun and fluff along the way :tongue_smilie:, then go Latin for the New Millenium, it is also very good and comprehensive (plus it comes with all sorts of cultural extras you can purchase), but not as dense (or as detailed). Wheelock is plain text, comprehensive, business-only kind of Latin, while LNM is more customer-friendly. Henle is somewhere in the middle, from what I observed.

Those are the only three I would consider if I were you.

When I self-teach myself a language, I need several books. When we learn english we have a reading book and writing book and a grammar book right? And that is our native language which we speak in and watch movies in.

I like to make a curriculum that is dry and thorough in grammar my main text and it must have strong audio support. Then I look for a reading/immersion book as a supplement. Then I look for a speaking/conversation book as another supplement. And I look for something picture rich to aid in vocabulary. And some software.

For Latin I have liked Henle and Wheelock. You might want to do a few chapters of Henle first and then switch over to Wheelock, which has excellent audio support.

I am not able to learn languages cheaply. I NEED lots and lots of resources.

I guess I'm a wimp, but Henle and Wheelock both looked FAR too dense for me even though I had two years of high school Latin using Cambridge (it wasn't really grammatically intensive). I went with First Form Latin. It is pretty gentle and gives you lots of workbook pages to master the material. I really like it. Once I finish then I'll be more confident to tackle denser material.

How about Latin Book One? I've linked you to the yahoo group that has the text for each lesson, answers, grammatical explanations and mp3's. I've been looking at it recently as it seems to be similar in style to Henle, but it's free. I could be wrong though, as I'm no Latin expert ;).

I liked Henle.

I liked the explanations in Henle.

I am very "parts -to-whole."

I liked having all the solutions.

I didn't bother with the audio.

I wasn't bothered by all the Gauls and Romans stuff or the Church Latin, but I really dislike the "Let's pretend we're ancient Romans and see what we're having for dinner" type of conversations other Latin texts have.

I have an older Wheelock, but it didn't hold my attention as well (I could have been a tad distracted.)

I also have Lingua Latina, Jenney's, Cambridge and a couple of older texts. For me, they all would have required a teacher.

YMMV

Wheelock's is wonderful. Email them and tell them that you are a homeschool teacher, and you can get an @nswer k&y for the text, workbook, and Scribblers book (supplemental readings.) If you need additional help, you can use Grote's gude. There are also many, many resources available online, because it is such a common text.

I enjoyed D'ooge's Latin for Beginners. The grammar has now gone a little over my head, so I'm taking a break to study straight grammar, but I really like it and will be going back to it. Here's a blog post where I wrote up about it and linked to several resources to go with it.

I have another friend who really likes Learn Latin Online, but I haven't tried it yet.

• 2 weeks later...