Menu

What do you use for 8th grade physics (Christian Curriculum))

Older DD used Rainbow Science in 7th for Physics/Chemistry.

When younger DD's in 8th, I'm planning to use A Beka 9th Physical Creation along with Rainbow Science. Between the two of them she should have an excellent foundation in both chem & physics.

For 9th, older DD is using Conceptual Physics. It's secular, but it's not anti-Christian. It refers to the Earth being millions of years old, but it doesn't bash Creationism either. I'm excited for our upcoming year with Conceptual Physics. It's a great book with very clear explanations and could be used by a motivated 8th grader.

Hopefully others will chime in with specifically Christian Physics. The only two I know of are Christian Kids Explore Physics and Exploring the World of Physics by John Hudson Tiner. But they are both a bit light for 8th grade - maybe you could use them together with a lab kit like Castle Heights (also Christian)?

Edited by amtmcm

Well I was thinking about Gods Design for the Physical World with all the supplemental books they list. I wonder if that would be meaty enough for an 8th grader (and I will be honest, I wonder that because I own the curriculum and most of the supplements are not that expensive :)) BUT I want something that will challenge an 8th grader, ya know?

Dd 3rd just got done with CKE Chemistry, and though I could beef that up enough for a 7/8th level it would take a lot of doing, but I guess I am going to face that with anything if I want rigorous and Christian.

Hmmm... More to think about :001_smile:

If you're open to Physical Science (rather than just Physics) and you want meaty, how about BJU 9th Physical Science? It looks really rigorous.

I notice your signature says Apologia PS. Are you changing your mind about using Apologia? I'd say the BJU is the most comparable, and maybe A Beka Physical Creation.

Have you used BJU science before? We used their Life Science this year and really enjoyed it. We'll be going back to BJU for Biology and Chemistry in 10th & 11th.

I know that I am nuts. I was going to do CPO science, the secular, because I got it for free. However, a homeschool mom sold Apologia for $10. The whole thing with tests and solutions, etc. I could not pass this up. So, my son is going to just read CPO and the Apologia will be his main spine.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

If you're open to Physical Science (rather than just Physics) and you want meaty, how about BJU 9th Physical Science? It looks really rigorous.

I notice your signature says Apologia PS. Are you changing your mind about using Apologia? I'd say the BJU is the most comparable, and maybe A Beka Physical Creation.

Have you used BJU science before? We used their Life Science this year and really enjoyed it. We'll be going back to BJU for Biology and Chemistry in 10th & 11th.

No I am actually looking for my now 4th grader. I know its way early but I am switching this year to a schedule similar to what WTM suggests. I am still doing Apologia Physical Science for this year with my current 8th grader.

I am just trying to get a good idea of what I want to do for my next logic stage go-around.