Menu

"school" ideas for 2 year old...

Last year was difficult. Ds is a very busy boy, but he does love activities, especially learning activities. I am planning a school box to keep him busy during school time this year. I need ideas!

Play-doh (with cutter, rollers, etc)

Coloring books and crayons

I am looking at this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0439893577/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9ZG3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any other thoughts for this age?

For my 2yo, if he has stuff in a box like his big brother's, it doesn't matter so much *what* stuff, just that he can match.

Some of the things I have for him:

-puzzles

-crayons/pens and paper; my kids have never cared much for coloring books, but since my older kids like their workbooks, maybe DS2 would go for those and call it his workbook.

-magnetic animals to stick on an old whiteboard

-chalk for a chalkboard (especially since DD likes to work her math problems on a slate)

-beanbags

-activity bags -- I've had mixed success with those; some are good, some not so interesting, but there are things to match and stuff.

-lacing cards

-big beads to string

-cups and things to sort (I haven't really tried these with him yet, because it's stuff that shouldn't go in his mouth, but I think he could do them pretty soon.)

-magnetic wooden dress-up set (it has a little guy and outfits like cowboy, fireman, etc. you can put on him)

-memory game -- I give him a few of the cards and have him find the matches, everything face up.

-books -- he has a couple of bins of board books in the schoolroom, but Richard Scarry books keep him occupied for long periods of time. All of my children have really LOVED the Cars and Trucks and Things That Go one.

-books on tape (we have some that my mom recorded, of herself reading, so that's particularly cool -- I haven't really tried those during school time, though, so it could be too distracting for the older kids).

-math manipulatives -- DS2 likes the Cuisenaire rods and fraction squares/circles that the big kids use.

-pattern blocks

-Lauri makes a set called a "Fit A Space" -- foam circles with different shapes cut out of them, and then you can string the shapes or try to match them to the foam circles.

-the "design your own" scenes from places like Oriental Trading -- like, one is a pet shop scene, where the background is drawn for you, and then you add the shoppers, pets, etc., which are stickers. Well, stickers in general are a hit with my 2yo.

-stamps

-latch board

-dressing skills board/doll