Menu

Dr. Hive question - my liitle boy's sick

Take him to the ER. No question.

He could have a foreign object in his GI trac, could have appendicitis, could be any number of serious things that MUST be ruled out and evaluated now. Go with your instincts and take him in.

Did they scope him or run any tests? do an ultrasound? surely they did a CBC. did they do bloodwork? What made the doctor say she was "sure" it was a virus?

He was bad enough to get IV fluids yesterday and if he's still curled up and telling you that so passionately, it doesn't sound like he's improving.

Edited by mhg

My mommy instinct is definitely saying that something isn't right. I have a call in to the doctor and am just waiting for a return call. The closest ER is almost an hour away from us. I have a feeling this is going to be a long night.

We could definitely use prayer for his health and my safe driving tonight.

Thanks!

If you're awaiting the call on your cell, can you start heading that way?

Sounds acute. If the doc downplays and advises you to wait til morning, etc., I'D STILL take him to the ER. From the way this sounds, any doctor cannot rule out the potentially serious things without scopes/bloodwork/etc. --- things he can only get at an ER tonight.

Will be praying for your family.

Please update us.

My mommy instinct is definitely saying that something isn't right. I have a call in to the doctor and am just waiting for a return call. The closest ER is almost an hour away from us. I have a feeling this is going to be a long night.

We could definitely use prayer for his health and my safe driving tonight.

Thanks!

:grouphug::grouphug: Here's hoping it isn't an appy.

If you're awaiting the call on your cell, can you start heading that way?

Sounds acute. If the doc downplays and advises you to wait til morning, etc., I'D STILL take him to the ER. From the way this sounds, any doctor cannot rule out the potentially serious things without scopes/bloodwork/etc. --- things he can only get at an ER tonight.

Will be praying for your family.

Please update us.

:iagree::iagree::grouphug:

Keep us updated. My 12 yo (at the time -- she's now 17) dd had appendicitis and was misdiagnosed ("Just a virus") when we took her in to a PA on Monday for symptoms that were similar but less dramatic than your son's. On Wednesday, she saw her regular doctor, he quickly diagnosed her and within 2 hours of the appointment time she was in surgery. Instant relief...

Go with your mommy gut. He could just have a virus, but it could be something the ER folks missed.

I got the feeling that the ER doctor thought I was just some crazy mom who seeks out medical care for every cut or bruise or runny nose. So, not the case with me. Other than his well-child checkups, this little guy has never been to the doctor, let alone the hospital.

They ought to be able to see from your (lack of) ER records that you don't. Some docs sound patronizing when they are trying to be "calming".

Hope he is better today.

...Some docs sound patronizing when they are trying to be "calming"...

Good point. And in the midst of being worried / stressed it's easy to take that personally. :o(

I sure hope your little guy is feeling better today (at least enough that you can be less worried for him) and that your regular doctor is able to help assure you it's nothing more than a bug. I'm glad you took him in at least -- even if they weren't terribly helpful.