Menu

Elemental Science question

AimeeM

Does anyone know when the Logic stage physics and chemistry will be introduced?

I wanted to use the program so badly but Autumn is too old (and has too much of a science background already) for the grammar stage books. My husband is pretty insistent that she start this year's cycle with physics, then chemistry, and so on (he has a degree in Physics, so he may be a bit biased lol). Unfortunately, those are the two in the series that have no logic stage yet.

I will go with Real Science 4 Kids if all else fails. I was just wondering if anybody had word on how the logic stage programs were coming (I can't find anything on her website but I'm not very computer literate lol).

The logic stage programs will come out at the rate of one per year, as they take quite a bit of time to write. The next one, Earth Science & Astronomy for the Logic Stage, will be out in Spring of 2012. You could probably use Physics for the Grammar Stage with a 5th grader if your husband is really insistent on doing Physics next year.

I'm sure they do take forever to write :(

And you are doing a wonderful job at it from what I see.

I looked through the grammar stage samples on the website and I'm afraid it does seem a bit young for Autumn; if only because Tony (my husband) has made sure she has a firm grasp on most science concepts.

Is the grammar stage adaptable to a fifth grader who is a bit advanced in science?

There are suggestions on how to beef the program up for older children, plus optional activities for each week. You can see both of those in the sample. That said the sample is fairly representative of the program as a whole, so if you feel it won't work for her, it may not. However, I have had several people use Physics for the Grammar Stage successfully with 5th graders, so maybe they'll chime in. If you have more questions, feel free to drop me an email at info (at) elementalscience (dot) com :).

Amber, Thanks! It is very exciting, but a bit surreal to see my name printed in a RR catty :D.