Menu

eBook or printed book?

skueppers

I'm very comfortable with eBooks and own an iPad. I'm trying to decide whether to buy certain materials as eBooks, even though they are more expensive that way, AND I would then need to print the workbook pages for my daughter to complete. The books in question are black and white, and I have a laser printer.

Here's how it's looking to me right now:

Advantages of eBook:

Print only needed pages -- I'm the print as you go type, and I often don't use all the student pages.

Teacher pages not in same physical book with student pages, and never need to be printed at all since they can be easily referenced on the iPad.

Book can be easily reused for future student by printing new student pages.

Advantages of printed book:

Less expensive

Are there other advantages of a printed book that I'm not thinking of?

In this case, I'd weigh the costs of 1 expensive e-book + printouts v/s 2 cheaper printed books for the kids. I'd also consider if it was possible to resell the printed teacher book to recover some of the cost.

HTH

I think I'm going to go the e-book route -- writing out the pros and cons really made it clear to me that the e-book is what I want to be doing. I think one of the books is actually even going to be less expensive that way (even including the cost of printing the pages I am likely to print), and I'll just get over the price issue for the other one.

Thanks for providing a sounding board.

Are there other advantages of a printed book that I'm not thinking of?

I'm also very comfortable with ebooks and iPads. One consideration that I have is how the book is going to be used. If it is in a linear fashion ebooks are fine. But if it is a reference work (and one not that easily searched) then an ebook would be a pain.

So if it was The Well Trained Mind, or Miquon Lab Annotations, I prefer a hard copy. But for many other resources I like an ebook.

Bill

One need not microwave ebooks to kill the mold. That's one advantage :D

Bill

Good point, Bill. I'vebeen contemplating the same things as the OP. I'd love to have it ALL on an iPad, but it kinda bothers me having to print out pages here and there, because I'm not so great at remembering to do so before we need the pages. :D