Menu

How do you afford your student going out of state?

TheApprentice

The tuition/fees can be $15,000+ difference.:001_huh: How do you manage? Or do you try to find something in-state?

It would actually be cheaper for my children to attend some out-of-state universities than attend in-state here. Our in-state tuition is ridiculously expensive. It really depends on the state. (FWIW, TN has lower out-of-state tuition than many in-state schools. If you live in-state, you can get a great education at a bargain price. That is exactly what our oldest has done!)

The tuition/fees can be $15,000+ difference.:001_huh: How do you manage? Or do you try to find something in-state?

My children's piano teacher's son told me that he intends to live in MT for a year before attending graduate school. He said that a year gaining state residency is worth the money he will save.

Holly

The difference is mainly with state colleges. Private colleges tend to charge the same for in state or out of state.

That said, some state colleges PREFER out of state students to aid their diversity and some prefer in state students due to the way they are set up with their gov't (policy). If your student has high stats (for the school), it can be well worth it for them to go out of state for a less expensive education. If they are average stats, it can be worth it if they are from a state the school doesn't receive many applicants from. If they are lower stats, it will only work if they are REALLY from a state the school doesn't receive many applicants from or have something else going for them.

Some colleges are better known for aid than others. Remember, aid is essentially someone else paying part (or rarely, all) of a college education for a student - in effect - a sponsorship. People who donate the money ALWAYS want it to go to a "worthy" student, so higher stats on standardized tests or APs are often helpful. Your goal, when getting aid, is to be one of those students people would want to sponsor.

A couple of state examples:

U of Alabama offers free tuition to any student scoring a 32 or higher on the ACT. State of origin doesn't matter. There are competitive awards for more aid (free room and board, etc). They are working to up their "prestige" and are doing it by financially attracting high stat kids. It works. Middle son may apply here for a financial safety. We'd never consider it otherwise.

U of Pittsburgh offers some free tuition and full ride offers. However, (unfortunately for us!) they prefer out of state students due to wanting geographical diversity. That said, middle son is going to apply and see what happens.

U of California (all of them) are set up to assist in-state students and offer very little (if any) aid to out of state students, so if you apply there, be prepared to pay full fare. It doesn't appeal to us in the least.

Private schools VERY often want geographical diversity (there are some exceptions). Oldest son got nice offers by applying to schools a few states away. He still had high stats for the colleges. In state similar schools wouldn't likely have been as generous (but he never applied to any, so we can't say that with 100% certainty - only by comparison to peers). It ended up costing us less per credit hour to send him to his 4 year school with room and board than to pay for middle son to take 2 community college classes half an hour away. I believe both the high stats and geographical diversity helped (along with nice recommendation letters).

I've been studying colleges for middle son for about a year now. Every school he plans to apply to except one (Pitt) is out of state. He has high stats and we're hopeful for nice money offers. (For each school he's applying to his stats are in their top 25% of students.) Nothing is certain, but I know he won't need to go into much debt (if any) for his undergrad UNLESS we pick a "better" school. We might - pending the difference in cost. There's a limit to the debt I want him to get into.

Youngest son is wanting a school in Hawaii (at the moment - due to a specific major). I'm hopeful they don't get many from PA applying! I've already checked and they do provide some nice scholarships to out of state students. He'll have to see if he can get the stats to be attractive. If he goes there, he sure won't be coming home for many breaks. WE might go visit him! ;)

For many with more average stats, in state schools often are the least expensive, but if they have their eye on an out of state school, it can't hurt to try. I've told mine they can apply anywhere, but not to get their hearts set on any one school as finances do matter for us!

I think your child or you (parents) has to be a resident in the state, not just any relative.

Our in state tuition keeps increasing and classes are not available. Students we know keep leaving the state schools and the counselor at the cc told me dd that she should consider private universities, out of state universities, and only consider in state universities as a last resort. My oldest tried to attend a state university and could not get any classes. None. It was a total waste of time, so he decided to go out of state. State universities in our state became a non-option because of our experience as well as the experience of other students my dc know.

The first year of out of state tuition for our ds was high, but it only takes one year to get residency for tuition purposes there. Then the in state tuition is less than in our own state, and dorm/meal fees are much less as well. The other advantage is that my dc can get the classes they want at their out of state school and graduate in four years, something not possible at our state schools now. If you look at the one high cost year because of out of state tuition, it is costly, but if you average the cost over four years, with one year at out of state tuition costs and three years of in state tuition because your dc gets residency, it may be less expensive than your in state options. It is in our case.

You need to check the school's website for residency requirements. It probably varies by state. In my ds's case he needs to live in the state for one year, and not be out of the state for more than 4 weeks during that time period. He has to get a driver's license in that state, register a car there (if the student has a car), register to vote in that state, and prove that he has lived there by providing a couple documents from a long list of acceptable documents. He had to file a tax return not as a dependent, and we had to provide a copy of our tax return showing we did not claim him as a dependent. It is easy to get residency there, and the tuition rate decreases to the in state rate. I assume that each state has its own requirements on getting residency, so be sure to check.

First of all, for private schools it doesn't matter at all. Some schools are generous. For example, my oldest is considering Louisiana Tech. They wave the out of state fee if you have a decent ACT/SAT score. Bulldog Out-of-State Fee Scholarship – Incoming freshmen – Category A

(Students with fewer than 12 semester hours of college credit)

• Must be admitted.

• ACT 24 or SAT 1090 (CR+M) – any test date before enrollment, and

• 2.6 GPA (on a 4.0 unweighted scale), and

• Have no need for remedial English and Math.

• Must remain full-time and maintain a quarterly and cumulative 2.0 GPA.

*Freshmen are automatically considered with the application for admission.

Bulldog Out-of-State Fee Scholarship – Incoming freshmen – Category B

(Students with fewer than 12 semester hours of college credit)

• Must be admitted.

• ACT 23 or SAT 1050 (CR+M) – any test date before enrollment, and

• 3.5 GPA (on a 4.0 unweighted scale), and

• Have no need for remedial English and Math.

• Must remain full-time and maintain a quarterly and cumulative 2.0 GPA.

*Freshmen are automatically considered with the application for admission

They give a very generous national merit scholarship

National Merit Scholarship

• Must be an admitted incoming freshmen (all majors).

• Requires: GPA: 3.0 (on a 4.0 unweighted scale)

• Must be a National Merit Finalist and list Louisiana Tech University as first choice

with the National Merit Corporation.

• Unlimited awards which pay tuition, fees, on-campus housing, and meals for four

years.

• Choice of a bonus award (up to $5,000): laptop computer, summer study abroad,

or fifth year of undergraduate or graduate study.

• Student must remain full-time and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0

I just know of this one because a couple of our doctor friends have children there and they really like it. It has a small town feel. It isn't Christian, but one of my friends has a son there who has had a more "Christian" experience there than there other child at Baylor. (Though I think that is because of the kid personally.)

Christine

My children's piano teacher's son told me that he intends to live in MT for a year before attending graduate school. He said that a year gaining state residency is worth the money he will save.

Holly

Cautionary note: the public university I attended for graduate school flagged applicants who apparently had moved to the state to establish residency. Grad students had to prove that they had moved for reasons other than in-state tuition. This was a looonnnggg time ago so policies could have changed and certainly may vary from state to state and school to school.

Further note: TAs were given in-state tuition as a perk. So no advance move was needed. I would suggest that your child's piano teacher investigate whether the university he wishes to attend has similar benefits to well qualified students.

Jane

It would actually be cheaper for my children to attend some out-of-state universities than attend in-state here. Our in-state tuition is ridiculously expensive. It really depends on the state. (FWIW, TN has lower out-of-state tuition than many in-state schools. If you live in-state, you can get a great education at a bargain price. That is exactly what our oldest has done!)
This. Dc will not be going to our state university.

ETA: Texas A&M gives in-state to Eagle Scouts (if you attend their weekend shindig) and all the Service Academies are free no matter where you're from

DS applied to only a few out-of-state public schools, knowing he'd only be able to attend IF he got the top merit scholarships. He didn't, so did not go. But it was worth a shot - he also applied to private schools both in-state and out.

My youngest has her heart set on UCLA in a few years - I have told her the out-of-state tuition would be a killer, and to look at my undergrad. alma mater (Chapman College, er, University now... a private school) instead if she wants to go to my home state.

Edited by JFSinIL

ETA: Texas A&M gives in-state to Eagle Scouts (if you attend their weekend shindig) and all the Service Academies are free no matter where you're from

Could you be more specific about the "weekend shingdig"? Is it something for Eagle Scouts? Ds isn't there yet, but is on his way. When is the shindig held? Does one have to make Eagle prior to one's senior year?

Thanks for any additional info you might have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Great White North viewpost.gif

Could you be more specific about the "weekend shingdig"? Is it something for Eagle Scouts? Ds isn't there yet, but is on his way. When is the shindig held? Does one have to make Eagle prior to one's senior year?

Thanks for any additional info you might have.

http://corps.tamu.edu/connect-with-the-corps/aggie-eagle-program.html

http://corps.tamu.edu/admissions-scholarships/corps-scholarships.html

Establishing residency for in-state tuition varies widely by SCHOOL. It may not be enough to follow the STATE'S residency requirements. Just wanted to throw that out there as a caution.

If it were easy to establish residency for in-state tuition, almost no one would be paying out-of-state tuition.

Pegasus

Christine: La Tech is a GREAT school!!!

I had heard great things about it, but their entrance scores seem pretty low.. He is going into computer science. I think that program is pretty good. If you have any other thoughts on it, you can e-mail me privately. I think he will visit LA Tech and TCU this fall.

Thanks,

Christine

I just spoke to a former student of mine yesterday who was excited because his test scores would put him in contention for in-state tuition at Clemson (in SC -- he is in NC). I just looked up the info:

Out-of-state students who qualify for an academic recruiting scholarship might be offered a tuition waiver that covers part or all of the out-of-state tuition differential. You will be automatically evaluated for these scholarships based on the information found in your admissions application, such as your test scores and high school rank. There is no separate scholarship application. Usually, recipients of academic recruiting scholarships have an SAT score of at least 1370 (ACT 31) and rank in the top 10 percent of their senior class.

This specific example may not be of help to the OP, but it might be an example of out-of state tuition waivers in the "fine print" at other colleges. They are all vying for top students. :)

Edited by Brigid in NC

This specific example may not be of help to the OP, but it might be an example of out-of state tuition waivers in the "fine print" at other colleges. They are all vying for top students. :)

Isn't that the truth!

Also, I want to point out that SAT score would be Math and Critical Reading only - not including writing. Otherwise it'd be a pretty low SAT score by modern scoring! (It's common for Honors colleges and scholarships to go just by M/CR scoring.)

The first year of out of state tuition for our ds was high, but it only takes one year to get residency for tuition purposes there.

I would check on this. It doesn't sound right. At my school (UT) I had to be in-state *without* taking classes in order to be considered a resident. Even once I was married, I couldn't count residency based upon my DH's Texas residency. If one year of school was enough to be considered in-state then hardly anyone would pay out-of-state tuition.

Also, because I had a scholarship I was considered in-state. At UT if you have a $500+ scholarship, you qualify for in-state tuition.

:D Now we both know it's not really FREE, you just don't pay with money. :D

Just had to get my dig in. It really raises flags when I'm talking to a prospective midshipman and their focus is on a free education. I think if you are a poor match for military service, the time in the military (both while at the academy and after commissioning) would be far more of a burden than a bunch of student loans. With loans, you owe a lot of money. With a service committment, you owe yourself (and you obligate your family to military life for the duration too).

I know that you already know all the realities of that. But I wanted to pipe up anyway, because I do get students (or parents) who are focused on the "free education" without considering what they are giving up or committing to in return. (Yes, I've had candidates who didn't realize they would have to wear uniforms, live in a restrictive military setting or have to obey upperclassmen.)

But if military service is a goal, then service academies are fantastic.

USNA '91 (Beat Army)

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right. Is the AEP scholarship awarded only to students who join the Corps or in order to encourage them to consider the Corps (but without obligation to join it)?

I know that you already know all the realities of that. But I wanted to pipe up anyway, because I do get students (or parents) who are focused on the "free education" without considering what they are giving up or committing to in return. (Yes, I've had candidates who didn't realize they would have to wear uniforms, live in a restrictive military setting or have to obey upperclassmen.)

Yep. Me too. And this with a great Critical Reading score! Makes you wonder if they read any of the catalog/website at all. :glare:

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right. Is the AEP scholarship awarded only to students who join the Corps or in order to encourage them to consider the Corps (but without obligation to join it)?

I think join the Corps (but not necessarily ROTC) but since that was what he wanted, I didn't ask if it was required or not for the in state tuition. It was his back-up school.

Go Army, Beat Navy!

(He went to USAFA :tongue_smilie:)

I would check on this. It doesn't sound right. At my school (UT) I had to be in-state *without* taking classes in order to be considered a resident. Even once I was married, I couldn't count residency based upon my DH's Texas residency. If one year of school was enough to be considered in-state then hardly anyone would pay out-of-state tuition.

Also, because I had a scholarship I was considered in-state. At UT if you have a $500+ scholarship, you qualify for in-state tuition.

Yes, what I said is accurate for my ds's school. I know that different schools in different states have different requirements that need to be met to become a resident for in-state tuition purposes. This is a state university that encourages all out of state students to meet the requirements for in-state tuition. It is very clearly stated on the website, and the school sent an email to all the students paying out of state tuition telling them what they needed to do to qualify for residency. My dd has a full tuition scholarship at this same school, but in order to keep it for more than one year she has to qualify for residency. The requirements are not difficult and it is well worth it to get the in state tuition for my ds and for dd to keep her scholarship.

But I know that there are different requirements in other states. I guess we are fortunate that it is so easy to do at this school.

Wow, they must have changed things over the years - or UT is more restrictive than A&M. I have a cousin who graduated from Texas A&M >20 years ago, and she paid out-of-state tuition for her first 3 years - then she got married and automatically got in-state status.

The answer in our case is a combination of scholarships and debt.

I don't love it, and if we'd had another choice that would have worked for my daughter, we would have gone that way. In her case, though, the only program that was workable for her was the one she attended.

I'm strongly, strongly encouraging my son to look toward in-state schools.

How do you afford your student going out of state?

My daughter applied to ten colleges in all. Two of these schools were in-state (one public, one private). The other eight were out of state schools (all private). She applied widely because her area of interest was represented at only three colleges in our state. Financial aid offers varied wildly at the eight schools to which she was accepted. The out of state selective private liberal arts college she currently attends costs less than our local state school's honor college would have cost her.

Regards,

Kareni

Wow, they must have changed things over the years - or UT is more restrictive than A&M. I have a cousin who graduated from Texas A&M >20 years ago, and she paid out-of-state tuition for her first 3 years - then she got married and automatically got in-state status.

This was 15 years ago at UT. I asked directly bc my scholarship was gone. Gotta love my school, but we are a little full of ourselves. :D 'Cause you know everyone goes out and gets married just to qualify for in-state tuition.

And not that I doubt you ninja, it just seems weird to me. But UT doesn't have problems recruiting out of state students. So I never came across that. And dd is too young for me to be looking yet.

Yep. Me too. And this with a great Critical Reading score! Makes you wonder if they read any of the catalog/website at all. :glare:

Go Army, Beat Navy!

(He went to USAFA :tongue_smilie:)

I find that few of the candidates I've interviewed have looked at the catalog much at all (in a way, it requires more effort of them now since hard copies are no longer mailed out, yet I've only ever found one student who had discovered that it was downloadable online) and few seem to have gotten much out of looking at the website.

I'll probably root for Army this year, just to make it fair. I'm old enough that I remember folklore of how a four year streak by one school heralded war. The current streak makes me twitchy.

Our story -- my kids each applied to one in-state school. This in-state public college ended up being the most expensive option for one child and the second-to-most expensive for the other.

All but one private school gave generous merit aid. And the out-of-state public schools were also generous with merit aid.

Ask if there are ways to waive the out of state tuition. When I attended Mississippi State a few <ahem> years ago, I had an honors scholarship that covered out of state tuition. But after the first year, I changed majors and it was going to be a lot more difficult to remain in the honors program. That is when I found out that if you play in the band or sing in the choir (the general chorus, not the more difficult to get into concert choir) they waive your out of state tuition. So I sang in the choir for the next three years, had a great time, and saved a bundle.

So be sure to ask if there are any options like that.