Menu

HOD Preparing Science Thoughts

thood

I used BHFHG last year with my now 9 and 8 year old. We are moving on to PHFHG this year. I think it looks great! I am wondering what others feel about the science. We found BHFHG to be not so much fun for us. The children really found it to be kind of boring and didn't care for all the writing.

I was possibly thinking of using Apologia Zoology 1 this year ( as both of them are very interested in birds and other animals) .

Would love to hear any feedback and or thoughts. I did place the economy package in my shopping cart and thought I would wait for it to come and see what the science looks like.

My dd (7 at the time) did BHFHG last year. We loved the history, poetry, dictation, Bible study, math, and storytime, but opted out of the science; we did Apologia Human Anatomy then Botany instead. I have PHFHG for this year. The science looks very similar to BHFHG (One Small Square and living books in a predictable Day 1-4 rotation). For this reason, I am doing Apologia Astronomy and A Child's Geography this year instead of PHFHG science. I would say if they didn't get excited about it last year, they won't get excited about it this year either. Apologia Zoology 1 would not overlap with CtC the following year either since it uses Zoology 3.

We plan on doing the Science and adding in Apologia zoo 1 and 2 (we already started 1 so we will go to 2 when we get there)

I want to be ready to do zoo 3 in CtC so this will be great for us. My dd adores science and experiments so she wants to do both. I like the looks of HOD's Science because it is simple hands on stuff that my boys can do/watch right along with her and yet there is also the reading and writing to make it stick for her.

Thanks! I think we will skip their science and do Zoology 1 and start on Zoology 2! I think they will enjoy it much more! I am glad to hear of someone else doing the same thing I have been thinking about.

So here's a question. We're starting Bigger this year and I just got the guide today. I'm already questioning the science. All the writing and note booking will do her in. NOT her thing. We have the books and I really can't afford anymore curriculum at this point ... any ideas of what to do with her?! Read and try to beef it up with more hands on?

So here's a question. We're starting Bigger this year and I just got the guide today. I'm already questioning the science. All the writing and note booking will do her in. NOT her thing. We have the books and I really can't afford anymore curriculum at this point ... any ideas of what to do with her?! Read and try to beef it up with more hands on?

Well, I would skip having her write the bible verse at the top of the page ( that seemed to be the hardest, drawn out part for my son) Then she can draw the picture and label it if needed. When it comes to writing the hypothesis, experiment, and conclusion......maybe do most of it orally? I am sure she will do fine. Hope i works out for you!

I'm planning on using Bigger science with my 9 and soon to be 7 yos. I'm planning on cutting out some of the writing for my younger. I'm hoping they like the science...the books look great and we've loved HOD science so far. :001_huh: