Menu

Casey Anthony Trial -- a Verdict has been reached...

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't usually use this word but it seems appropriate in this situation...

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!!!!! I know they didn't have enough evidence against her but I still feel sick to my stomach right now. It makes me very afraid for any future children that woman might have....I'm so disgusted right now I'll stop before I start spewing words I might regret.

My husband just called me . The only thing she was convicted of is lying to the police. I am ashamed and I apologize for the judicial system that I am a part of. I have never been ashamed to be a lawyer until today. That poor sweet child . And when this woman becomes pregnant again and neglects, abuses , or otherwise harms another of her offspring, may those jurors hang their heads in shame for what they have done today. Baez confused them effectively as to what the meaning of reasonable doubt actually refers to . It doesn't mean beyond all doubt. If she were fat, ugly or dark-skinned , she would be on death row . Trust me ,this is one area where I do unequivocally know of what I speak. Her parents should enjoy reaping what they have sown. Shame on them. I am disgusted. I am angry. But most of all, I cannot imagine what that child went through.

Thank you for posting. It's nice to hear a professional's opinion on the situation.

My husband just called me . The only thing she was convicted of is lying to the police. I am ashamed and I apologize for the judicial system that I am a part of. I have never been ashamed to be a lawyer until today. That poor sweet child . And when this woman becomes pregnant again and neglects, abuses , or otherwise harms another of her offspring, may those jurors hang their heads in shame for what they have done today. Baez confused them effectively as to what the meaning of reasonable doubt actually refers to . It doesn't mean beyond all doubt. If she were fat, ugly or dark-skinned , she would be on death row . Trust me ,this is one area where I do unequivocally know of what I speak. Her parents should enjoy reaping what they have sown. Shame on them. I am disgusted. I am angry. But most of all, I cannot imagine what that child went through.

:iagree:

Hopefully no one will wish to reproduce with her again. I still think she'll wind up in jail again - She'll steal or defraud the wrong person next time. Now she thinks she can get away with anything.

Now there is the whole bunch of counts of forgery and grand theft against her. I'm not sure where that went but if she hasn't been tried on that yet then she could be staying in jail for that.

http://www.wftv.com/download/2008/0911/17446834.pdf

Nevermind, they had to do it first and she got timed served for that.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-01-25/news/os-casey-anthony-check-hearing-20100125_1_george-and-cindy-anthony-check-fraud-charges-plead

It looks like she is going to get away with everything she has done. Wow. That's kinda scary.

Edited by peachskittles

Shocked too!

She should be neutered. (just my personal .02)

Yes! THIS!

I also like the marrooned on a coral atoll...I'm thinking the very one they think they found Amelia Earhart's remains at.

But, there is also the possibility of a new study in human criminal behavior. Make a new bio-dome in Antartica...leave Casey Anthony, OJ, and a few choice others down there with less than the bare minimum supplies and see whose left at the end of 9 months when the winter storms break. Whoever is left gets to be marronned on the coral atoll.

Grrr......things like this bring out the primitive, uncivilized instinct in me!

Faith

I was really worried when the jury came back so soon. They only deliberated for 10 hours. That's not even enough time to go through each of the charges, imo.

My husband just called me . The only thing she was convicted of is lying to the police. I am ashamed and I apologize for the judicial system that I am a part of. I have never been ashamed to be a lawyer until today. That poor sweet child . And when this woman becomes pregnant again and neglects, abuses , or otherwise harms another of her offspring, may those jurors hang their heads in shame for what they have done today. Baez confused them effectively as to what the meaning of reasonable doubt actually refers to . It doesn't mean beyond all doubt.

I agree, OJ Simpson's lawyers did the same thing and were also successful.

I wonder how many jurors actually believed in her innocence, rather than just felt that the state did not meet it's burden of proof.

There were a few moments when I wasn't sure if the woman reading the verdict was going to cry or not. She seemed upset to me.

If they felt that she was guilty but the state didn't show enough evidence, I'd hope they would spend more than 9 hours pouring over the testimony in an effort to back up their beliefs that she was guilty.

I knew she was going to get off. They might have had lots of evidence but it didn't prove that SHE did it, it could have been, well, anybody. I do think she is guilty though.

I sure don't think her life is going to be easy as soon as she walks out the door.

I think people are going to make her life miserable.

I am stunned. More stunned than I was by the OJ verdict.

If they felt that she was guilty but the state didn't show enough evidence, I'd hope they would spend more than 9 hours pouring over the testimony in an effort to back up their beliefs that she was guilty.

Especially given that this was a capital case. If it hadn't been a matter of a verdict that could end the life of a young woman (especially given her parents' presence throughout the trial), I wonder if we'd have seen a different outcome.

As it stands, I'm glad the verdict is what it is. I do not feel the state provided sufficient evidence for putting somebody to death for murder. I think it would have been a travesty of justice if she had been convicted of capital murder, given what the state provided as evidence.

Elizabeth, keep your chin up! We need lawyers with a spine and moral fortitude in our system!

I blame the juries these days. They don't seem to understand enough about the law (basic stuff, the things all citizens should know) in order to divine the difference between all doubt, reasonable doubt, and to understand how circumstantial evidence adds up to making sense or not making sense. I really see a failing in our jury system because of how little the average system understands about our constitution, the laws of the land, etc...just possibly they've all been watching too much "Law and Order" as well and of course, real life is a different ball of wax, so to speak. My mom has served on a federal jury before and after the case was over, she said she was shocked at just how easily emotionally lead many of the jurors were.

It's a crappy day for you, Elizabeth. I just wanted to say that you need to keep on keeping on!!!

Faith

Reminds me of the OJ Simpson trial.

She'll wind up in jail eventually. She's a proven liar and a thief and this verdict will make her think she can get away with anything. She'll wind up just like OJ.

I pretty much figured her defense team was throwing things to see if they could make reasonable doubt. They did. Hope they can sleep at night.

And she will probably have to move and change her or have some really great protection!

Poor Caylee!

Nearly *all* cases are decided by circumstantial and corroborating evidence. Relatively few crimes have eye witnesses.

The very fact that the baby *disappeared* while under her care and she didn't report her missing is corroborating evidence to everything else.

Ugh. I'm assuming it was too circumstantial to not allow a certain amount of reasonable doubt, but I'm still shocked. :(

I agree. Sucks.

On the plus side, convicted or not - I bet that woman will never have a day in her life where she isn't called the murderer of her baby and treated like poo for it. Probably make Amish shunning a cake walk.

Uness some donkey butt gives her a movie/book deal.:glare:

Nearly *all* cases are decided by circumstantial and corroborating evidence. Relatively few crimes have eye witnesses.

The very fact that the baby *disappeared* while under her care and she didn't report her missing is corroborating evidence to everything else.

EXACTLY. If they applied the same standard to ALL cases that the jury apparently used in this case the jails would be empty.

Ugh.

I don't know what to think. Obviously none of us likes her (to say the least) because of the way she has been portrayed. However, I am glad we are not judged for things (in our court system) based on the emotions of how others feel about us. There was clearly reasonable doubt in this case.

Do I believe she did it, yes I think so, but it doesn't really matter what I think, I do not know.

Especially given that this was a capital case. If it hadn't been a matter of a verdict that could end the life of a young woman (especially given her parents' presence throughout the trial), I wonder if we'd have seen a different outcome.

No, they had lesser charges to choose from. According to my understanding (maybe a lawyer-type can elaborate), they could have found her not guilty of first degree, found her guilty of everything else and she would not have received the death penalty.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/05/casey-anthony-what-shes-facing-if-jury-finds-her-guilty/

OJ was fat, ugly and dark skinned and he got away with murder. I think that jurors sometimes just get it wrong and this is one of them. As for the "real" killer remember that Casey said she drowned in the pool accidentally and they only made it look like a murder. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shouldn't she be looking for the "real" killer the second she gets out?

:iagree:With you, but jurors seem too ignorant to know this.

And of course it goes double for murder cases bc the eye witness is usually dead!

The press turned her into a celebrity, and celebrities rarely get convicted. It doesn't surprise me, but it is a sick statement on what our justice system has turned into.

I just hope the other charges they have against her do turn into a long prison sentence.

Even if there was not enough evidence to convict of murder, she should have been convicted of some kind of child endangerment or neglect for not reporting her missing, lying or for covering up an "accidental" drowning...who was supervising this child?

This really makes me sick!

OJ was fat, ugly and dark skinned and he got away with murder. I think that jurors sometimes just get it wrong and this is one of them. As for the "real" killer remember that Casey said she drowned in the pool accidentally and they only made it look like a murder. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, there are no consequences for that?!

Elizabeth, keep your chin up! We need lawyers with a spine and moral fortitude in our system!

I blame the juries these days. They don't seem to understand enough about the law (basic stuff, the things all citizens should know) in order to divine the difference between all doubt, reasonable doubt, and to understand how circumstantial evidence adds up to making sense or not making sense. I really see a failing in our jury system because of how little the average system understands about our constitution, the laws of the land, etc...just possibly they've all been watching too much "Law and Order" as well and of course, real life is a different ball of wax, so to speak. My mom has served on a federal jury before and after the case was over, she said she was shocked at just how easily emotionally lead many of the jurors were.

It's a crappy day for you, Elizabeth. I just wanted to say that you need to keep on keeping on!!!

Faith

I have been think the same thing. For a trail of this importance and publicity the lack of knowledge and ability to think and reason can become a major societial problem.

What basic knowledge and thinking skills does a jury member *need* inplace before they sit on jury? It seems that the pool of jurors is picked through by the lawyers so well that they take people that are not able to do the job correctly. I understand that some will feel that it was not proved beyond a reasonable doubt but for all of them to agree seems incomprehensible.

It almost like the jurors need to learn somethings before they sit on the jury. Frightening!!

I am stunned and feel sick. I did not expect a first degree murder conviction, but certainly of something substantial. Manslaughter.

I hope the judge, when sentencing her, declares that she not be allowed to profit in any way from these events. No book, movie or interview deals for pay or other compensation of any sort, ever.

Shocked and disgusted and very sad here. I am having a crisis of faith in many ways and in many things.

I will say this. I will not allow myself to become emotionally invested in something like this again.

That is what I said after the OJ fiasco. The only other one since then I watched was the Scott Peterson.....one out of 3 is not great odds for justice.

No, they had lesser charges to choose from. According to my understanding (maybe a lawyer-type can elaborate), they could have found her not guilty of first degree, found her guilty of everything else and she would not have received the death penalty.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/05/casey-anthony-what-shes-facing-if-jury-finds-her-guilty/

Exactly! It wasn't 1st degree murder or nothing. They didn't even find her guilty of child abuse though she admitted to covering up her death.

Do we still not know who the bio dad of Caylee was? I can't seem to find the info anywhere.

Dawn

Not that I know of. At one point, she claimed her brother was the father (he actually took a DNA test to prove he wasn't Caylee's father). If I am not mistaken, she also stated it was an ex-boyfriend at one time. I don't know if she just doesn't know or doesn't want to say.

Do we still not know who the bio dad of Caylee was? I can't seem to find the info anywhere.

Dawn

There is a woman somewhere up in New England who believes Caylee was the child of her son who died in a car accident. Don't know if that will be proved ever.

Why wasn't she charged with reckless endangerment of a child? That seems more stickable that child abuse. Morose as it sounds, if her story about covering up a body (ie, so called accidental death) is accepted, what about abuse of a corpse?

Elizabeth, can she be brought up on new charges as long as they are *different*?

The press turned her into a celebrity, and celebrities rarely get convicted. It doesn't surprise me, but it is a sick statement on what our justice system has turned into.

Unfortunately, I agree and think that someone's fame plays a bigger part in it all. Same thing with OJ, while yes he's ugly and such, he was also very famous and very rich at the time of his infamous trial.

I'd really like to know what the jury's reasoning was for finding her not guilty. Was it a technicality (prosecution didn't provide enough evidence) or did they truly believe her?