Menu

I want to switch to SL...

Aubrey

This happens every once in a while, & I look at the catalog for a few days, & I realize it won't. quite. work.

We used SL for a few mos in 2008 after #4 was born, & that period is one of my fondest hs'ing memories. We read The Wheel on the School & Hans Brinker & bunny-trailed through Holland & around storks, & I loved it. I didn't have a particular goal in mind, just trying to get something done w/ new baby in tow.

So now I'm hot & pg & aggravated at the way our curric choices are blending together this year--no one curric is a problem, iow, just the combo. It's too much work, I don't know what to leave out, & worst of all, it's too independent. I sit here, I watch the dc work too slowly, have to remind them (occasionally) to get back on task, & feel basically extraneous. I can wash dishes & fold clothes & hang out on the boards, but more than that is too much to still be avail to dc, & that little is. so. boring. for me. I'm not *involved* enough to really make sure they're understanding & keeping up, but when I try to get more involved, things take even longer or the littles interrupt. So I fold another load of laundry, lol.

So why doesn't SL work for us? I want chronological history. I want it to cover the eastern hemisphere. I'm willing to tweak & adapt, but there's no world history core between 2nd & 6th, & whoa. That would be a LOT of tweaking. I'd have to blend 1st & 6th & then split them over 2 years.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking, but I'm over on the SL site this morning, dreaming while the kids do logic, Latin, & math. I wish I hadn't put my print catalog in recycling, but it was *really* used up, lol.

Thoughts are welcome, if you've got ideas. Otherwise...well, thanks for listening. :D

Yeah, SL doesn't work for me either, but that doesn't stop me from looking longingly at the catalog ever year. At least this year, the catalog wasn't as enticing!

We did do SL for one semester with my youngest two, and we loved it. Then life interrupted, and adding in speech therapy, swim team and a home improvement project killed the dream. I realized the only way I could do SL and love SL was to do nothing but SL, and that won't work. But it doesn't seem to stop me from revisiting it occasionally. ;)

Connecting with History might be a decent fit for you. It is chronological and it is literature based. I have looked at the program at a HS conference and it reminds me a lot of SL (I am doing Cores P3/4 and 4/5 this year). It is a Catholic program, but you can just decline to buy any books that you don't like if you aren't Catholic.

Another option is to use some of the Veritas Press books and some of the SL books and make your own chronological history program. I know there is a list floating around that combines these (I think it may have AO books on there as well). You could always try TOG. I know people rave about that one!

I am a lot like you. I love the SL catalog, but I don't think the upper cores will work for us. I pieced together the lower cores because there are a lot of great books in there. The IG's don't really excite me since there isn't a lot of meat in there. I just know deep down that it isn't the right fit for our family, but that doesn't stop me from drooling over the catalog whenever they send me one! I think there is a lot of heavy advertising in their catalog which does bother me a little (and sometimes makes me feel guilty for not wanting to use it). If the product is that good, then why do you have to oversell it? :confused: The preschool cores are excellent and I will probably use a lot of their book choices over the years.

To add to kristinannie's list, you could also do Biblioplan.

I have a hunch, though, that what you really want to do is have some good reading-out-loud time. Have you read them The Chronicles of Narnia yet? The Wind in the Willows? Heidi? If you really want some curriculum for it, you could always check out DITHOR and get them the workbooks. Then just have a read aloud of the same genre as your oldest two are reading on their own, and talk about its genre, along with the other subjects your reading brings up. Call it literature instead of history, and there you go!

For my family, the best part of SL is the read-alouds. We enjoy them - mostly!!- there have been a few books that dh and I despised reading, but our son loved. I think you could get some good family time without moving to SL by choosing some great books and sharing them as a family.

Connecting with History might be a decent fit for you. It is chronological and it is literature based. I have looked at the program at a HS conference and it reminds me a lot of SL (I am doing Cores P3/4 and 4/5 this year). It is a Catholic program, but you can just decline to buy any books that you don't like if you aren't Catholic.

Another option is to use some of the Veritas Press books and some of the SL books and make your own chronological history program. I know there is a list floating around that combines these (I think it may have AO books on there as well). You could always try TOG. I know people rave about that one!

I am a lot like you. I love the SL catalog, but I don't think the upper cores will work for us. I pieced together the lower cores because there are a lot of great books in there. The IG's don't really excite me since there isn't a lot of meat in there. I just know deep down that it isn't the right fit for our family, but that doesn't stop me from drooling over the catalog whenever they send me one! I think there is a lot of heavy advertising in their catalog which does bother me a little (and sometimes makes me feel guilty for not wanting to use it). If the product is that good, then why do you have to oversell it? :confused: The preschool cores are excellent and I will probably use a lot of their book choices over the years.

I am writing my own history curric this year. It's chronological, as lit-based as I can make it, etc. But...I'm tired. I like the idea of it being already done for me. And so far, the results are more independent than I'd like, but I think that's indicative of me needing to tweak our schedule, if that makes sense.

And my favorite part of the curric is the stories & games--there just aren't that many for the 1st 6 weeks, & the kids have already blown thr the FUN part. :glare: Meanwhile, I"m writing Unit 3 thinking...let's just skip ahead. :lol:

Maybe I should write it as they go instead of trying to stay ahead. That way I'd feel more involved in what they're currently reading, instead of having to wait for them to read it & then have a formal discussion. Except...I'm pretty sure I'd still have to wait for them to read the assignments. :001_huh: :lol:

To add to kristinannie's list, you could also do Biblioplan.

I have a hunch, though, that what you really want to do is have some good reading-out-loud time. Have you read them The Chronicles of Narnia yet? The Wind in the Willows? Heidi? If you really want some curriculum for it, you could always check out DITHOR and get them the workbooks. Then just have a read aloud of the same genre as your oldest two are reading on their own, and talk about its genre, along with the other subjects your reading brings up. Call it literature instead of history, and there you go!

That's what dh said--he thinks I'm missing reading SOTW aloud since we finished it. The thing is...I hate reading aloud. :o I just love the discussions. W/ SOTW, we could discuss-as-we-go because I was reading. Now? I'm like a vulture standing over them waiting for them to be done reading so we can get to discussions.

I told dh I think what I want is for them to do the reading on their own time so they can show up prepared for discussion. But, uh, that might be a bit above 3rd & 5th grade. :lol:

For my family, the best part of SL is the read-alouds. We enjoy them - mostly!!- there have been a few books that dh and I despised reading, but our son loved. I think you could get some good family time without moving to SL by choosing some great books and sharing them as a family.

Yeah, switching to SL would be relatively cheap for us--I think we already own every book they recommend for every core from K-6th or 9th. LOL!

That's what dh said--he thinks I'm missing reading SOTW aloud since we finished it. The thing is...I hate reading aloud. :o I just love the discussions. W/ SOTW, we could discuss-as-we-go because I was reading. Now? I'm like a vulture standing over them waiting for them to be done reading so we can get to discussions.

I told dh I think what I want is for them to do the reading on their own time so they can show up prepared for discussion. But, uh, that might be a bit above 3rd & 5th grade. :lol:

I think that third and fifth grade is a perfectly reasonable time to have them read by themselves and then discuss it with you. That happens to be what we do. Actually, last year, ds was doing this in second grade. No problems. We still read aloud and alternate readers as well. We also discuss books that they read just for fun, sort of an informal method of narration. As a result, discussion time after reading feels very similar to them, although itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s more involved.

If you want to use SL, you donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to use all of it. You can just use a little of it, write your own schedule, and tweak it to death, and so on. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s still nice to have the schedule to start with, IMO.

Have fun with whatever you decide!

Edited by lovemykids

Why don't you do Core 6 & 7 but spread them over 4 years? That would give you plenty of time to tweak and adapt.

We're taking 2.5 years to get through them. We have really enjoyed what we've done so far. Because they use SOTW, my younger boys have been able to join in.

Why don't you do Core 6 & 7 but spread them over 4 years? That would give you plenty of time to tweak and adapt.

We're taking 2.5 years to get through them. We have really enjoyed what we've done so far. Because they use SOTW, my younger boys have been able to join in.

:001_smile: This sounds nice. I plan on doing Core 6 and 7 with my crew as well in a couple years. Still trying to decide if we want to do Core 5 first.

We did Core 2 over a year and a half, and are currently meandering our way through my picked-over versions of Cores 3 and 4. I am a glutton for combining/playing with curriculum. In spite of the price tag, I think my husband would jump for joy if I just bought a core and used it as written. He thinks it would be so much simpler for me. :lol: For the sake of marital bliss, I might just do that sometime, maybe....

I have a problem with things planned out for me. I wish I could cave, but alas.

Have you looked into MFW? It has a chronological history with year 3,4,&5 using SOTW but it has an extra geography year as year 1. They recommend doing this year but I don't see the harm in skipping it, especially if you add geography to the time period you're studying. It is definately teacher dependant with a schedule but it also adds hands on activities. Just a thought:)

:iagree: I have SL envy once it awhile, too. We used Core K, heavily modified Core 1 and almost did Core 2. I just love the books and the idea that I can place an order, have it shipped to me and it's all ready to go. Reality is, that SL doesn't contain what I want, so I will just tweak it beyond recognition and then there's no real point in having ordered SL. I wish there was a classical version of SL that follows the WTM cycles, adds in primary sources for the logic level and discusses great books for the high school level and didn't cost an arm and a leg. One of these days I'm going to see that someone does this or do it myself :).

I think that third and fifth grade is a perfectly reasonable time to have them read by themselves and then discuss it with you. That happens to be what we do. Actually, last year, ds was doing this in second grade. No problems. We still read aloud and alternate readers as well. We also discuss books that they read just for fun, sort of an informal method of narration. As a result, discussion time after reading feels very similar to them, although itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s more involved.

No, no--they do read on their own, & then we do discuss. I want them to read ON THEIR OWN TIME so I can simply schedule time for discussions. ;)

I figured core 6 was too much of a stretch for a 3rd g'er. She's very bright & capable, but still....

Otoh, a lot of the lit I've got scheduled for this year is already on SL's list for core 6, so it's not like it's a HUGE difference from what I'm doing...

which brings me back to...if it's SO similar to what I'm doing, except for the parts I don't like & would tweak anyway, WHY is it I want to change? :lol:

This happens every once in a while, & I look at the catalog for a few days, & I realize it won't. quite. work.

We used SL for a few mos in 2008 after #4 was born, & that period is one of my fondest hs'ing memories. We read The Wheel on the School & Hans Brinker & bunny-trailed through Holland & around storks, & I loved it. I didn't have a particular goal in mind, just trying to get something done w/ new baby in tow.

So now I'm hot & pg & aggravated at the way our curric choices are blending together this year--no one curric is a problem, iow, just the combo. It's too much work, I don't know what to leave out, & worst of all, it's too independent. I sit here, I watch the dc work too slowly, have to remind them (occasionally) to get back on task, & feel basically extraneous. I can wash dishes & fold clothes & hang out on the boards, but more than that is too much to still be avail to dc, & that little is. so. boring. for me. I'm not *involved* enough to really make sure they're understanding & keeping up, but when I try to get more involved, things take even longer or the littles interrupt. So I fold another load of laundry, lol.

So why doesn't SL work for us? I want chronological history. I want it to cover the eastern hemisphere. I'm willing to tweak & adapt, but there's no world history core between 2nd & 6th, & whoa. That would be a LOT of tweaking. I'd have to blend 1st & 6th & then split them over 2 years.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking, but I'm over on the SL site this morning, dreaming while the kids do logic, Latin, & math. I wish I hadn't put my print catalog in recycling, but it was *really* used up, lol.

Thoughts are welcome, if you've got ideas. Otherwise...well, thanks for listening. :D

I had this issue as well...so decided to give HOD Preparing a whirl. It used the same spine as SL core W: One Year World History...Child's History of the World, and the book selections looked more age appropriate. You can always add in a SL read aloud...which I plan to do since my older dd is using Core W.

Faithe

:iagree: I have SL envy once it awhile, too. We used Core K, heavily modified Core 1 and almost did Core 2. I just love the books and the idea that I can place an order, have it shipped to me and it's all ready to go. Reality is, that SL doesn't contain what I want, so I will just tweak it beyond recognition and then there's no real point in having ordered SL. I wish there was a classical version of SL that follows the WTM cycles, adds in primary sources for the logic level and discusses great books for the high school level and didn't cost an arm and a leg. One of these days I'm going to see that someone does this or do it myself :).

This is basically what we're doing. The World in Ancient Times series for primary sources--I realize it's not *exactly* that, but close, & as much time-period-relevant lit as I can squeeze in.

Unfortunately, there's just not a lot of lit that corresponds w/ the first few thousand years of history. :glare::lol: So for the 1st 6 weeks, I'd scheduled app 3 books & am reading/previewing more to potentially add, but they finished 2 of those in one week, even having to share the books. :001_huh: So it doesn't *feel* lit-based right now. :tongue_smilie:

I have a friend who uses SL, though, & one of her kids reads thr his books too fast, too, so I'm not sure SL would solve that problem for me. :lol:

Otoh, once we get to the Greeks, the literature thing flies wide open. I've been previewing mind candy like Percy Jackson to go along w/ a real study of the Greek gods & wow am I having fun. Then I go to discuss ancient Mesopotamia w/ the dc, & I almost feel sorry for them. :lol:

:iagree: I was thinking the same thing. Aren't the read-alouds what makes SL so attractive--getting all cozy and cuddling up together? With the ages of your children, surely you could find some read alouds that all would enjoy. I am reading the Little House series right now to dd6, and although ds3 doesn't really understand it, he lights up when we mention things like bears and guns, lol.

I figured core 6 was too much of a stretch for a 3rd g'er. She's very bright & capable, but still....

Otoh, a lot of the lit I've got scheduled for this year is already on SL's list for core 6, so it's not like it's a HUGE difference from what I'm doing...

which brings me back to...if it's SO similar to what I'm doing, except for the parts I don't like & would tweak anyway, WHY is it I want to change? :lol:

Because you're pregnant :leaving: ;) :001_smile: :grouphug:?

This is going to sound radical. It is going to sound...heretical maybe ;). But what I have come down to is this. After years of obsession I'm pitching the four year cycle and putting content back in its place - as a practice ground for skills development. We're just going to do SL because I love it, not worrying about pacing, and very casually. Homeschooling is too short for not using what you love ;).

Just wanted to say that your olders are the perfect age to begin Core D (3) this coming year and do 2 years of Am. Hist. Those are my fave cores, and I'm so looking forward to doing 3 again this year with my youngest.

If you loved it, you should go back to it. Focusing on other history for a couple years in elem school is not going to mess up your kids' education. Doing something you love matters more, IMHO.

This is going to sound radical. It is going to sound...heretical maybe ;). But what I have come down to is this. After years of obsession I'm pitching the four year cycle and putting content back in its place - as a practice ground for skills development. We're just going to do SL because I love it, not worrying about pacing, and very casually. Homeschooling is too short for not using what you love ;).

Like. Like.

I told dh last night that I'd realized I actually *would* sacrifice *enjoying* hs'ing for the sake of the 4-year history cycle. :confused::lol:

We had a big meeting w/ the kids, though, & I think we've *maybe* come up w/ a compromise. We're going to spend 2 hrs together in the mornings doing group work & discussions. Then they'll have a 2hr "study hall" for independent work in the afternoons. And at about 2, we're stopping school. Period. (We've been having some REALLY long days.)

They do have a little bit of work to do on the computer, & that will have to happen after 2, but they love that, so I figure it's not a big deal.

We're all pretty hopeful that this will be better. Not SL, lol, but better.

So, Aubrey, convince us. Why would Sonlight NOT work for you? :)

I forget what the 25 reasons are, but most of them fit me.

1. Four-year history cycle. For better or worse. :D

2. More American history than I'd like, & at the wrong times (for me).

3. Too little focus on the east.

4. Too much of a missionary focus, & aimed primarily at the east, as if THEY need saving, but the west is cool.

5. Price.

6. Sensitive kids. Up until now, this was a big reason. As my big one (the most sensitive) enters the logic stage, I'm less concerned about that for the elementary choices I've seen, but I don't know about 6th grade choices. I'd have to see...

7. I've spent the last year writing my own curric, which is intended to be what I like from TOG & SL combined, plus stuff I wish people would do. I think that makes our hist a little more time-intensive this year, because when I see a glitch, I have to fix it instead of clucking my tongue at the writer. :lol: But ultimately, it IS what I want. I think it's just a matter of figuring out how to use it (for us).

I love read alouds, too, but don't particularly enjoy reading aloud that much. We have started listening to more books on CD. I print out pictures for the kids to color that correspond with the history or if it's STOW they can follow along in the book. I can fold laundry or color with the little ones and then we can all talk about it. It's working well for us so far!

Hear! Hear! :hurray: Hurray!!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

7. I've spent the last year writing my own curric, which is intended to be what I like from TOG & SL combined, plus stuff I wish people would do. I think that makes our hist a little more time-intensive this year, because when I see a glitch, I have to fix it instead of clucking my tongue at the writer. :lol: But ultimately, it IS what I want. I think it's just a matter of figuring out how to use it (for us).

I'd love to see a sample of what you have written, if you don't mind sharing. That's pretty cool that you are writing your own! It does take more time and patience to do it this way, but in the end I can't help but think it would be worth it.

Do share!! :)

I forget what the 25 reasons are, but most of them fit me.

1. Four-year history cycle. For better or worse. :D

2. More American history than I'd like, & at the wrong times (for me).

3. Too little focus on the east.

4. Too much of a missionary focus, & aimed primarily at the east, as if THEY need saving, but the west is cool.

5. Price.

6. Sensitive kids. Up until now, this was a big reason. As my big one (the most sensitive) enters the logic stage, I'm less concerned about that for the elementary choices I've seen, but I don't know about 6th grade choices. I'd have to see...

Those sound like very good reasons to not use Sonlight. :grouphug: Sorry. So, the history curriculum you're writing.....is it aimed at dialectic kids?

I told dh last night that I'd realized I actually *would* sacrifice *enjoying* hs'ing for the sake of the 4-year history cycle. :confused::lol:

:lol:

Can't help you there then! You're done for! :lol:

You might change your mind in the future though...I did...;)

You can always stretch out two SL years into four and call it a four year cycle though ;). SL 6+7 = four years of world history that way...;).

"told dh last night that I'd realized I actually *would* sacrifice *enjoying* hs'ing for the sake of the 4-year history cycle"

I had to get to this point myself and it was not easy. Still isn't as I sit before a spreadsheet and figure out how to give my upcoming high schooler a world civ credit using SL (if you know, tell me!).

I don't know if you read the having time to make bread thread I started but lots of moms u/stood my dilemma. I needed to be a better mom, not a better homeschool mom. My family of 6 couldn't take the pressure of my planning and planning and purchasing and seeking resources, etc all for the sake of rigor. SL has a reputation of being less rigorous and sometimes that brings about some guilt for me. But when I sit back and think, it's getting done. And isn't the program that's actually getting done the most rigorous for a family? I mean I have xxx on the shelf but it's so much work there it sits :)

And the switch, I have to testify to...has really helped.

I personally (if you don't agree fine, but I can say what I want in my reply here ;)))

I personally...can plan our meals better and be in general a happier mom if I'm not stressed about planning the next 9 weeks, gathering books and putting into a pretty format my kid's can understand and do consistently.

Now, don't get me wrong. It's still hard work and it's even a bit expensive. I still discuss with my kids. I have great couch time with them and we talk!!!!! but it's about their books. Really getting into what they think about what they've read. No 4 yr cycle though. No nice pretty maps to hang up ala TOG, no printed worksheets ala WTM SOTW activity pages so I get a little panic attack when I read about those things but boy oh boy sista.

My kids are loving the books. I'm reading ahead of them consistently because they're interesting books not make me fall asleep tomes and I don't have to worry about a schedule. And they're loving doing the school because they're enjoying it.

I get to do all that planning for my preschooler who wants to make puppets and butterfly letters :))))) which we never did when mommy was always on the computer finding school books.

HTH I see you've got a plan...but your title said you wanted to switch and the times using SL were great for you...thought I'd give my 2c's

Edited by momee

I love SL and this is why I use it. After trying the four-year cycle with ds, dh and I agree that the open and go is better than anything we can find and my dc love "box day". We will add in other things as we go (planning to use a BF study sometime this year) but SL will definitely be our core for Pre-K-12.

I always say SL is the heart of our homeschool. If we didn't have that time where we came together each day to share books and discuss them, I would probably lose interest in homeschooling. SL is the bright spot in our homeschooling day, especially as the kids are getting older and there is more and more school work to be done. Of course, you don't need SL to read aloud to your kids, but they do have great book selections.:001_smile:

And I don't think of SL "as being thought of as less rigorous" until you get to the high school years. Actually, until pretty recently, I always felt that people thought it was quite rigorous.

Lisa

Oh, Aubrey, my dear. You have such a penchant for overthinking and in the process making things more difficult. I can diagnosis the problem since I suffer from the same disease.:D The truth is, SL could be an ideal fit for you, but you yourself aren't quite sure what you're looking for. On the one hand, you have such fond memories of your brief foray into SL ~ reading together and taking bunny trails ~ and on the other, you claim to hate reading aloud. You cited the cost as prohibitive, but also mentioned that it'd be relatively cheap for your to switch to SL. We women are fickle creatures, aren't we?;)

Re chronological history, I've always felt SL fits the bill nicely. My guys study world history for a couple of years, move on to American history (not just U.S. history, btw), delve into what is essentially an intensive cultural study of the Eastern Hemisphere, and circle back to ancient history.

I spent most of my life convinced that world history was of far greater import and interest than anything related to this country in which I happen to live. Exploring American history via Core 3 and Core 4 was enlightening in that it opened new avenues and genuinely piqued my interest in the subject. I am the last one who wants to hyper-focus on one nation's history, but these programs are so ideal for students, I can't imagine missing out on them.

I love Sonlight's focus on the Eastern Hemisphere in Core 5. As with most cores, this one can be enhanced and lengthened such that you spend more time and intensity on the countries. It's a great trip. As one who cringes at the term "evangelical Christian", I've at times set aside some of the missionary tales. But I've also gained great opportunities for discussion.

I admire your depth of thought, Aub, and your willingness and ability to write your own curriculum. But don't make it harder on yourself than need be. Cheers to you, girl.

See, right there Lisatheresa... a statement like that does mean things in the minds of those moms doing SL in the upper years :001_huh:.

Sorry, don't mean to offend, but that's why I typed it is thought of as less rigorous. I should have said here - on WTM - it's got a rep for being less.

And btw, great post Colleen. We women are indeed fickle creatures.

Edited by momee

See, right there Lisatheresa... a statement like that does mean things in the minds of those moms doing SL in the upper years :001_huh:.

Sorry, don't mean to offend, but that's why I typed it is thought of as less rigorous. I should have said here - on WTM - it's got a rep for being less.

And btw, great post Colleen. We women are indeed fickle creatures.

You didn't offend me and I hope I didn't offend you. I'm not saying SL is less meaty in the HS years. :001_smile: I've already bought Core 100 and I only have a 6th and 4th grader this year. But, I know there has been a lot of discussion about whether it is rigorous or not on these boards and most of that discussion has been in regards to the HS level. It's easy to start thinking it's true after a few threads like that, so I just felt like I needed to say that I do think it is rigorous. Unfortunately, once again, I wasn't clear.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Does SL do a lot of hand holding by giving the parent summaries and answers to questions for discussions and worksheets for history cores? I am hoping to find something that may save me some reading;)Are there worksheets for each book, map work, and timelines?

Thanks for any info:)

Well, what SL DOES include from your list is suggested discussion questions for the read alouds and the readers. Some 'find on the map' type geography activities for all of the books where geography is specifically noted. Timeline figures and prompts of when to put them in are included in the IG. There aren't worksheets though. If you buy the LA (I don't) then there are activities correlated to the readers that could count as worksheets I suppose.

I think it does do a lot of hand holding :). That is why I like it! I love that everything is pre-selected and already scheduled out.

I’d like to share a little bit of our experience. I also tried SL early on with my children, and for one reason or another... it just didn’t seem to suit us. I did enjoy the time spent cuddling, the books, and having a schedule nicely laid out for us. But we couldn’t actually follow the schedule- so I would tweak it, and then ultimately toss it aside, always wondering why I kept buying the IG in the first place. After all, we could cuddle and read books without a SL IG, right? And so we did.

Then a couple of years ago, for no apparent reason other than pure restlessness and boredom, I decided to try SL once again. Well, since then, we have enjoyed it to no end. I only regret that I didn’t have more time to spend using it. But alas, I did not make full use of the schedule. :lol: I thoroughly loved, however, adding to it, using an alternate spine, and even finding lower level books for my son to read in the beginning.

I had planned to only use bits and pieces of SL 5 next year, and potentially only using half of it at that.. as a world geography study addition. Now I think we are putting SL on hold for a year so that I can fully use the SL Eastern Hemisphere core with all of my older children together (minus the religious focus-LOL). This decision came after buying the IG and being impressed with it. Goodness, we may even use the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer that year. Why not? I think it looks great for the most part; although I would like to add art study and projects.

For reasons I’d rather not go into right now, we are using something else next year (the moment’s plan-writing my own hybrid:tongue_smilie:). So one of these years, you just might find SL to be the perfect fit. Don’t discount it completely.

But then I was never one to worry about the four year rotation. Thankfully, I discovered CM early on and it’s been a very liberating experience. I will also be eternally grateful for the WTM. It gave me confidence, filled in modern details, and put the big picture in perspective for me. But I digress.

Now the science- that's completely different. Somehow we were able to do more of the SL science as it was laid out...but we still didn't get through an entire IG. Silly rabbit trails had us running in circles...;)

Enjoy your planning. Whatever you do, try to relax and have fun. This is something I try and remind myself of everyday. :D

Edited by lovemykids

Love this idea! I'd order it!:001_smile:

Oh, Aubrey, my dear. You have such a penchant for overthinking and in the process making things more difficult. I can diagnosis the problem since I suffer from the same disease.:D The truth is, SL could be an ideal fit for you, but you yourself aren't quite sure what you're looking for. On the one hand, you have such fond memories of your brief foray into SL ~ reading together and taking bunny trails ~ and on the other, you claim to hate reading aloud. You cited the cost as prohibitive, but also mentioned that it'd be relatively cheap for your to switch to SL. We women are fickle creatures, aren't we?;)

That *does* sound fickle...let me explain. I *don't* like reading aloud--even the time I'm recounting to you, we didn't finish the books. I like the discussions that arise in the middle of and after reading.

SL would be cheap for me IF I did core 1 or 2--I have (old) versions of those. It would be *relatively* cheap (I THINK) to do another core because we own so many of the books already. But relative to buying a whole core, not to doing what we already own. That cost would be prohibitive for US for NOW but in the greater scheme of things...well, not $1k/kid, kwim? :lol:

I spent most of my life convinced that world history was of far greater import and interest than anything related to this country in which I happen to live. Exploring American history via Core 3 and Core 4 was enlightening in that it opened new avenues and genuinely piqued my interest in the subject. I am the last one who wants to hyper-focus on one nation's history, but these programs are so ideal for students, I can't imagine missing out on them.

I could totally imagine doing the US history cores along side world history. That would probably be my ideal, within the appropriate years of the 4 year cycle. :lol:

I love Sonlight's focus on the Eastern Hemisphere in Core 5. As with most cores, this one can be enhanced and lengthened such that you spend more time and intensity on the countries. It's a great trip. As one who cringes at the term "evangelical Christian", I've at times set aside some of the missionary tales. But I've also gained great opportunities for discussion.

Although I haven't read the missionary tales, that's not what bothers me at all. It's the idea that we're going to pray for THESE people as we study them but not for European countries or American states, implying that we're somehow better than them. That they have little of value to be studied on their own, but they have value because they are potential converts. TOG may be a little heavier-handed on this than SL, but it's something that bothered me about both currics.

Dh is a history major, & when I complained about the lack of "fair time" spent on eastern countries, he said that there was simply less going on there. He'd had a course in Chinese hist, I think, & he said basically, nothing changes for centuries. There's just not that much to learn or focus on.

But in the process of studying it myself, I've found that to be a western stereotype that's completely unfounded, except in the dearth of education we receive in ps.

And while I can appreciate the pragmatic reasons for separating a study of the east from the west, I'm afraid...the result tends to be "separate but inherently unequal." Studying them at the same time highlights similarities that, imo, helps the east to be less mysterious & OTHER. I think that's important--not that it be done MY way, but that it be done WELL, however it's done. I'm just not sure that's possible in a curriculum designed to CHANGE "those people."

I admire your depth of thought, Aub, and your willingness and ability to write your own curriculum. But don't make it harder on yourself than need be. Cheers to you, girl.

See, I think SL is worth a second look just because of the cool people who use it. Anything that works for you MUST be an excellent curric...*happy sigh*...even if we can't use the same curric, it's SO good to hear your thought, etc! :001_smile: